DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI RC External Antennas

A dual band antenna isn't a compromise that's not how antennas work, they function at resonance the unused antenna doesn't exist electrically at a given frequency. Little or nothing to be gained by using a single band antenna. DE AA7IS
Well, no, that is how an antenna works. Or at least some designs like simple monopoles and dipoles. Don't Dunning-Kruger yourself.

For a dipole antenna like the omni the length is proportional to the propagation wavelength of the radio signal. Even for a single band, the length of the antenna is a compromise since it has to operate over several different carrier frequencies; for example 2.4 GHz is really lots of bands in 2.4-2.4835 GHz and 5 GHz is 5.15-5.825 GHz). See Vertical Antenna Calculator to observe how frequency effects ideal antenna length. Of course an ideal 2.4GHz antenna doesn't go invisible at 2.4835GHz; its just a little less efficient.

The perfect antenna for 2.4GHz has a bit of reflection at 2.4835GHz or a bit of loss. The length is a compromise. Note that for the 5GHz band, the 1/2 wavelength is close to the 1/4 wavelength for 2.4GHz band but not exactly the same. If you break open the omni antenna there is *one* element in there and the length/width is picked as a compromise among the bands needed.

The Alfa is different. This video (although I don't agree with all that he says) might be informative:

Note how simple the internal structures are.

A dual band antenna isn't a compromise that's not how antennas work, they function at resonance the unused antenna doesn't exist electrically at a given frequency. Little or nothing to be gained by using a single band antenna. DE AA7IS
Well, no, that is how an antenna works. Or at least some designs like simple monopoles and dipoles. Don't Dunning-Kruger yourself.

For a dipole antenna like the omni the length is proportional to the propagation wavelength of the radio signal. Even for a single band, the length of the antenna is a compromise since it has to operate over several different carrier frequencies; for example 2.4 GHz (2.4-2.4835 GHz) and 5 GHz (5.15-5.825 GHz). See Vertical Antenna Calculator

The perfect antenna for 2.4GHz has a bit of reflection at 2.4835GHz or a bit of loss. The length is a compromise. Note that for the 5GHz band, the 1/2 wavelength is close to the 1/4 wavelength for 2.4GHz band but not exactly the same. If you break open the omni antenna there is *one* element in there and the length/width is picked as a compromise among the bands needed.

The Alfa is different. This video (although I don't agree with all that he says) might be informative:

For a dipole antenna like the omni the length is proportional to the propagation wavelength of the radio signal. Even for a single band, the length of the antenna is a compromise since it has to operate over several different carrier frequencies; for example 2.4 GHz (2.4-2.4835 GHz) and 5 GHz (5.15-5.825 GHz). See Vertical Antenna Calculator

You seriously need to educate yourself so that you have beliefes based on science rather then things like voodoo dolls.

Reactions: tlyons
finally installed the external antenna's

improvement in crowded area is huge. from 700meter range i am getting around 2KM(on 5Ghz)
improvement in rural area is also big
internal antenna 2.9KM when signal got unstable
now easily 4KM with still full range

i spend the most time on getting the holes exactly where i wanted them and connecting the u.fl connectors so they will not pop off

i used 1.13 pigtails so the u.fl connector will stay in place when you twist the cable(that happens when you reassemble the controller.

always a good thing is to check whether the antenna's send out a signal before snapping the controller halfs back in place.

i used a KII meter to verify the antenna's emit a signal(you need to turn the drone on as well for that)

the new antenna's are also direction sensitive(so no ordinary wifi antenna) but they are less sensitive to direction as the original internal antenna's

job well done

Attachments

• IMG_0730.JPG
    IMG_0730.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0733.JPG
    IMG_0733.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
What about the new RC controller version 2, which comes with external antennas rumored to be available at some point (“soon”)?

What about the new RC controller version 2, which comes with external antennas rumored to be available at some point (“soon”)?
if it has the same price as the old rc controller i would go for that one.
however it is rumoured that it will be way more expensive.

if not, adding and external antenna to the current rc controller will give higher output.

DJI regulates output when it leaves the antenna, the better the antenna, the lower the power will be before it enters the antenna so it stays withing FCC power rules.

As a professional photographer, sometimes we need our equipment to do more than it was designed to do. Thats when modifications come into play. I've had my trying times with my Mini 3 Pro and still think I got better performance out of my Air 2.

indeed you need to modify the controller to add external connectors. lot's of video's on youtube

however i do not think an $549 alientech external antenna will bring that much improvement.

adding extenal antenna's and applying the fcc hack will give you a range of 6-8 KM's

without line of sight range will not improve much, even when using this alientech antenna

my mod costed around $35 and the range improved bigtime

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian