DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI RC VS RC-N1

AroundTheWorld

Reactions
Hello,

I have heard that there were signal and range issues with the new DJI RC controller compared to the RC-N1. Could you tell me if these problems have been fixed now?

Have you compared both controllers? If yes which one would you recommend?

How is the signal with the DJI RC when the pilot doesn't point out the controller towards the drone? And how is it if the drone is hidden behind buildings or trees?

Thank you very much

I haven’t seen any range issues with the DJI RC. Range is probably about the same on both. Buildings and trees can block the signal with both, so best to have a clear line of site or fly high.

Reactions: bassnbeau
The issue is not with the Controllers as much as choosing the right setup to fly with in your area, many have chosen not to have it switch and stay with one Frequency while flying .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

So the problem has been solved? Cause I have seen videos showing that the range and the signal was better with the DJI RC-N1 than with the DJI RC especially when the controller was not pointed directly towards the drone which is not always possible. It was quite frequent on the Mini 3 Pro.

Last edited:
So the problem has been solved? Cause I have seen videos showing that the range and the signal was better with the DJI RC-N1 than with the DJI RC especially when the controller was not pointed directly towards the drone which is not always possible. It was quite frequent on the Mini 3 Pro.

I don't think anything in this RC vs RC-N1 conversation has ever been solved. It's become like the Mac VS PC argument. It's a matter of choice. Both controllers have their glitches and shortcomings. Both have their advantages. I'm getting tired of the attempted convincing arguments that they are right and the others are wrong, I prefer the RC-N1. I like the screen above the sticks. I like to choose my platform for software used. I haven't had range issues with any drone I have owned... but then you shouldn't if you fly VLOS.
If you prefer all in one controller with screen, buy that one. IF you prefer using your phone, or in my case the iPad mini 6... buy the RC-N1. It's not rocket science.

I don't think anything in this RC vs RC-N1 conversation has ever been solved. It's become like the Mac VS PC argument. It's a matter of choice. Both controllers have their glitches and shortcomings. Both have their advantages. I'm getting tired of the attempted convincing arguments that they are right and the others are wrong, I prefer the RC-N1. I like the screen above the sticks. I like to choose my platform for software used. I haven't had range issues with any drone I have owned... but then you shouldn't if you fly VLOS.
If you prefer all in one controller with screen, buy that one. IF you prefer using your phone, or in my case the iPad mini 6... buy the RC-N1. It's not rocket science.
It's not only a matter of range but also a matter of signal strength. Many pilots have experienced drops of signal within the VLOS distance while using the DJI RC as shown in the link I posted but that was a few weeks after the Mini 3 Pro and the DJI RC came out so maybe that this issue has been addressed now. So I think my question is legitimate as I would prefer to have a built-in screen but I wouldn't want it to be at the expense of a weaker signal.

Reactions: 3rdof5
I have both, and have not experienced any range issues. Having said that, I fly VLOS as opposed to some of the Youtube vids where folks go and fly way beyond VLOS - just to test the range.

In addition, I live in the US, and the RCs here are configured for FCC rules. In Europe it is governed by EC (with less power output), and some of the issues were related to those countries - inclusive the OP of the post you referred to. That guy is in Ireland . . . .

Then again, I live in a rural part of my county, so most likely less interference . . . .

34S.

Based on everything I've read there is very little difference. Both remotes use the same internal antennas. Based on my experience with the DJI RC compared to the GL300C remote for my Phantom 3, which uses an external device for the monitor the same as the N1 does, the biggest difference you will see is the performance of the screen, specifically, lag when switching screens. The DJI RC clearly uses a slower processor than most phones or tablets do and it's very noticeable. I use a Samsung Galaxy tab S3 tablet with my P3P and its much more responsive than the DJI RC is. Yes the built in screen is great and allows for much faster start up time but in hindsight, I might have been happier with the N1 simply for screen performance.

Based on everything I've read there is very little difference. Both remotes use the same internal antennas. Based on my experience with the DJI RC compared to the GL300C remote for my Phantom 3, which uses an external device for the monitor the same as the N1 does, the biggest difference you will see is the performance of the screen, specifically, lag when switching screens. The DJI RC clearly uses a slower processor than most phones or tablets do and it's very noticeable. I use a Samsung Galaxy tab S3 tablet with my P3P and its much more responsive than the DJI RC is. Yes the built in screen is great and allows for much faster start up time but in hindsight, I might have been happier with the N1 simply for screen performance.
FYI, the RC-N1 has external antenna. The clamp/phone holder is the antenna.

Reactions: 3rdof5
I would not buy the RC again for the following issues.
1. The built in antenna is definitely worse than the NI (in Australia).
2. If you want to use Satellite view on the RC, it is unusable if you want to zoom in to see anything!
Fly on DJI RC.jpg
3. Screen brightness while average, you can get better nits with new mobiles these days.
4. Screen is laggie!
5. If you touch the screen accidentally while flying, it will take you back to the main screen!
Cheers...

Reactions: Mavikhan
seems to me that the RC-N1 is DJI's basic controller. All the bugs have been worked out long ago. It has an external antennae which is a good thing, but it also has some limitations, just like all RC's will have

from what I've seen the RC is the significantly cheaped-down version of the RC-Pro. The screen is not bright and it's small. It only has an internal antennae that has to be pointed directly at the drone at all times or you lose signal strength. It's completely unsurprising that it's range is less than that of the RC-N1

there may be a deployment time advantage with the RC over the RC-N1 but I think that advantage is significantly overstated in most circumstances

I use RC-N1 because I have no other choice, my drone only supports that controller, but I find it nice, especially with my Pixel 6 which has a pretty bright screen.
I heard from people that the DJI RC with the screen is more laggy than running DJI Fly on your phone, but I cannot confirm it.

It's the matter of choice. If you already own an RC-N1 then maybe save a bit of money and buy the drone only, and bind it with your existing controller.

Interesting this guy says the RC changed his life, made him more interested in flying.

It's like 15 minutes in into this video.

No mention of lag or poorer signal strength.

So the extra $900 for the Pro is worth it?

On paper, they have the same Occusync version and the RC is smaller and lighter, doesn't have as bright a screen though.

But the smaller and lighter is better for those who pack the drone for trips.

So the extra $900 for the Pro is worth it?

On paper, they have the same Occusync version and the RC is smaller and lighter, doesn't have as bright a screen though.

But the smaller and lighter is better for those who pack the drone for trips.
Depends on what you need.

If you want to use Litchi, Drone Deploy, or any other third party control app, the Pro is your only option.

I wonder if anyone has tried to remove the external antennas on the RC-N1 and put them on the RC controller. Seems like it might be a solution for some of the reception/range issues.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest