Wild Drone Pilot

Reactions
I have a new smart controller from DJI
it says 8km range I get around 2km at best
Even the Air 2 controller gets 10km

Two Questions
1) Anything I can do before sending it in for repair
2) Any better way to contact DJI the tech support I emailed them
And all I get it the generic sent in the controller and the drone for us to look at
Keep in mind that I never said I had any problems with the drone

Thanks for any help

Don

If you are an European, then it´s no use to send the SC in for repair. It´s because the SC and every other controller in Europe is limited in it´s power. If your Air 2 controller reaches 10km, and you live in Europe the thing is illegal. Besides flying within line of sight is mandatory and therefore the 2km is more than enough, legally..

I was having a similar issue... I forked out $1k for the Smart Controller and was getting significantly less range than with the standard MA2 controller. I took it back absolutely convinced that there was something wrong when the DJI rep asked exactly how I had the antennas positioned. I said straight up and down, pointed directly at the aircraft, (As in the first image) and I was promptly told that was holding it wrong (Just like Steve Jobs and Apple when the iPhone had an antenna issue)

The antennas are much more effective when they are aimed broadside rather than pointed at the aircraft (As in image 2) and when you think about it, more surface area to send and receive data actually makes a lot of sense!!

I now have as good or better range than the standard controller meaning that the downlink is super stable with no video issues.

Regardless though, here in Australia we are also power limited with the hardware, and subject to LOS flight rules from our governing body CASA. It’s more about having a stable connection you can trust all the time than for distance...

Good Luck!!

Attachments

• 37F1EB86-EFB8-494E-B549-21F94C72430A.jpeg
    37F1EB86-EFB8-494E-B549-21F94C72430A.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 11
  • C4282B8A-0963-454C-B770-D556459306F3.jpeg
    C4282B8A-0963-454C-B770-D556459306F3.jpeg
    16 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle Pete
The range has been an issue but now is freezing and having to be rebooted during flights. The SC is the 1st DJI product I've had any problems with.

Have you tried a full system software re-install. Ie, go back to factory settings? Failing that I’d take it back to DJI and get a replacement.

The SC antennas are dipoles, and therefore nearly no signals come off the ends of the antenna. I use my 2 SCs with the antennas flipped out to the first detent... which faces the AC and provides maximum signal. Now directly over head perhaps you might need the antennas pointing outward (second detent) but since you are limited (at least in US) to 400 ft vertical, I don't believe it's necessary.

The best thing to do is take your SC to a clear non-wooded area and send it out until the RC level indicator drops down (maintaining VLOS) and try the different antenna positions to see what effect the position has on signal strength.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000