DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI smart watch

redserv

Reactions
Hey guys came across this, I am not sure what to think, share your thoughts

It could possibly work like a beacon. I wonder if dji could just add a gps receive on the remote. Considering the joysticks on the remote for the M2 and MA is detachable and hidden behind the mobile device holder, technically it can be a beacon such that the RC can be packed into a pouch or backpack and the drone could follow.

That is one pig ugly watch
Between the GPS radio for location, the Wi-Fi radio for communicating with the drone, and a screen bright enough to read outside, you'll have battery life somewhere between 4-6 hours.

"I want a smart watch that I can just wear for the afternoon. It should have a tiny joystick that will catch on my jacket sleeves."
- said no one ever.

If they are going to come up with a RC like accessory, why not do something like the following?

A small waterproof, GPS-equipped remote to use when the drone is tracking you, with the following buttons

Return to Home
Take a picture
Start/Stop recording

It should have a small e-ink screen to show battery levels, drone distance from the remote, and drone heading from the remote.

Battery life would be a a couple of hours, but it's not like you would use it like a watch.

Just make the DJI go 4 / Fly App smart watch compatible. I have an Apple Watch and would love to see some info or have functions, like mentioned above, on my wrist.

I don’t know much about other brands of smart watches, but the Apple Watch recognizes, what my smartphone does at the moment, for example playing music, and shows info / functions for that when raising my arm and looking at the watch automatically.

That would be quite convenient.

Just make the DJI go 4 / Fly App smart watch compatible. I have an Apple Watch and would love to see some info or have functions, like mentioned above, on my wrist.

I don’t know much about other brands of smart watches, but the Apple Watch recognizes, what my smartphone does at the moment, for example playing music, and shows info / functions for that when raising my arm and looking at the watch automatically.

That would be quite convenient.
What advantage would you have by having additional information from the DJI app being sent to your watch? I'm asking that from the viewpoint of a mobile app developer and I'm genuinely curious about this.

The main advantage of sending phone data down to the watch is providing that access to you without having to check your phone. The example that you mentioned was playing music. Being able to pause or play music with a quick tap from the wrist is a good use case for a smart watch. Less so for the DJi Go apps.

In this case, your phone is already running the DJI app and will be a lot more useful than abbreviated information being sent down to the watch. When you are flying the drone, the phone is already right in front of you. Using a watch would just be distraction. I'm a mobile app developer and I have an Android watch, I just don't see the value in spending the development for functionality for wearables when you already have the phone out and connected to the RC.

What advantage would you have by having additional information from the DJI app being sent to your watch? I'm asking that from the viewpoint of a mobile app developer and I'm genuinely curious about this.

The main advantage of sending phone data down to the watch is providing that access to you without having to check your phone. The example that you mentioned was playing music. Being able to pause or play music with a quick tap from the wrist is a good use case for a smart watch. Less so for the DJi Go apps.

In this case, your phone is already running the DJI app and will be a lot more useful than abbreviated information being sent down to the watch. When you are flying the drone, the phone is already right in front of you. Using a watch would just be distraction. I'm a mobile app developer and I have an Android watch, I just don't see the value in spending the development for functionality for wearables when you already have the phone out and connected to the RC.

I'm hoping that DJI releases a tracking device to compete with the Skydio2, Their OA is awesome and the visual tracking is good but their main claim to fame is the Beacon.

I don’t know.

First, I thought about how impractical and archaic (steampunk is actually really a good point! :)) such a huge watch would be and how you could transfer the use to something that is already there.

Secondly, and more importantly, I thought a lot about the DJI Fly App recently and its approach to simplicity. As a professional graphics / UX designer, I really like the take on user experience in the new app and how they achieve downsizing the user Interface to a minimum by fading / leaving information out for a better view of the motive transferred from the camera to the screen. You can fade in and out all the information you need, but the most important info could also go a „second screen“ - your watch - if you have one.

reminds me of a friend of mine a few years ago he was on holiday in Shenzen China, and when he got home he was in the pub showing everyone the amazing watch he had purchased,we all stood around in awe of it look he said apart from being able to tell the correct time anywhere in the world,it also doubles up as a radio and tv receiver and will also get satellite tv,its also a gps tracker and it connects to the internet.
a chap who had just come into the bar ,had heard my friends very descriptive summary of this wonderful bit of techno and decided he wanted to buy it off him,
after a prolonged discussion and back and forth bartering a price was finally agreed and money handed over, the chap who bought the watch was over the moon with his purchase,and a lot of drinks later my friend got up to leave
as my friend reached the door the watch buyer noticed two large suitcases by the bar ,he shouted to my friend hey mate you left your luggage behind,upon hearing this my friend turned and said no worries they belong to you now they contain the batteries for the watch

I don’t know.

First, I thought about how impractical and archaic (steampunk is actually really a good point! :)) such a huge watch would be and how you could transfer the use to something that is already there.

Secondly, and more importantly, I thought a lot about the DJI Fly App recently and its approach to simplicity. As a professional graphics / UX designer, I really like the take on user experience in the new app and how they achieve downsizing the user Interface to a minimum by fading / leaving information out for a better view of the motive transferred from the camera to the screen. You can fade in and out all the information you need, but the most important info could also go a „second screen“ - your watch - if you have one.
From a UX perspective, look at it this way. Picture yourself holding the Mavic remote. You probably have your hands turned so that your thumbs are pointing up. Which means that if you wear your watch like most people, the watch is facing away from you. To see the info screen being sent to the watch, you have to twist your wrist, making it awkward to hold the remote and harder to handle the stick.

From the graphic designer viewpoint, you have a tiny display window on a watch, and you have to support the lowest resolution. Which on the Apple Watch, is 273 by 340. What important info from the DJI app could you show at that resolution? I'm thinking battery life, distance, heading, small discrete metrics like that. It seems like a lot of work for little reward.

Of course it's a whole lot of work for little reward, more like a gimmick... But I started my thoughts (or they started on their own) from that ugly wrist-weight on top of this thread :) And planning, engineering, programming ... and producing such an extra device for just delivering that little information and functionality... that would be worth even less than a smart-watch deliverable from my DJI Go 4 / DJI Go 5 (Fly) App.

1st - UX: From a practical point of view, you're also right... maybe also not worth it. But when I picture myself holding my Mavic Remote, I often tap on the screen to adjust settings, fight through the menus etc. And at that time, its just normal to let loose the left or right stick (if you're left or right-handed) and you could easily look at your watch, while your wrist is almost in the correct position... maybe you have to turn your wrist a little bit more, to have a look at your self-activating watch screen. I don't say it's more practical than just tapping on the battery-icon in the new DJI Fly app to get information about your batteries / flight time etc. But it could be some added value to the user- or let's say drone flying experience.

2nd - Graphics: I really like my Apple Watch and I'm used to reading time, weather forecast, etc. even emails with far smaller letters on it. I think the OLED screen, even on the smallest model series 1 is just fine and could very well display everything you mentioned at the same time and with style. But, like you said and I mentioned before, maybe it just isn't worth it.

But just like the link says... it would be just another "accessory" to the drone and I would find it more practical to use something that is already on some of our wrists than to design a bulky, inconvenient "thing" that probably will not do much more then what it was intended to do. And these functions could very well work on the smart watches out there

Last edited:
Reactions: anotherlab
In order to fly safely, all that has to happen is:

The computer on your drone has to communicate wirelessly to the computer in your controller.
The computer on your controller has to communicate to the computer in your smart phone.
The computer on your smartphone has to communicate wirelessly to the computer in your watch.

then

The computer on your watch has to communicate wirelessly back to the computer in your phone.
The computer on your phone has to communicate back to the computer in your controller.
The computer on your controller has to communicate wirelessly back to the computer in your drone.

What could possibly go wrong........

Peter T

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb