DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Unlocking problems

peckle

Reactions
The other day I went through the normal process to obtain authorization from FAA to fly in class D restricted airspace and received approval. The the fun began. I was not able to "unlock" the drone and I was also in an area where I had no access to the internet.
The flight never took place and it was a complete waste of my time thanks to DJI.
Later when I contacted DJI for an explanation, I learned they are not really well equipped to respond to these requests and as you can see from the answer below that I received from them. Getting authorization from FAA is one thing, but then you have to go over more hurdles with DJI, and hope they respond to your request. All necessary before you even attempt to fly! They need to get their act together or else people will have to go around them and subscribe to one of those hacks available, which should not be necessary.
It appears DJI does not have the technology or the process to seamlessly connect the LAANC approval with their geofencing zones.

DJI"s answer below-
Dear Peter,

Please accept my sincere apology for this inconvenience caused.

Please note that the FAA approved DJI as a LAANC UAS Service Supplier in 2018, but this service is not developed completely yet. We can't make sure the date that we can supply this service now. We are still working on building a system to connect the LAANC system and our GEO fencing system. Your kind understanding will be highly appreciated.

The LAANC approval can be used to unlock the DJI GEO zones. After you get the LAANC approval, please kindly visit the following link and submit a Custom-Unlocking request to have the restricted zone unlocked for your aircraft.
https://fly-safe.dji.com/unlock
Our audit department will review your unlocking request in 1 hour as soon as possible.

If you are in the field or you cannot submit the unlocking request from your end, please contact us at [email protected] and provide the details of your approval and the below information to us. We will unlock the area for you from our end.
The below information is necessary for the unlock:
1. The DJI Account email you would like to use to unlock the aircraft.
2. The flight controller serial number of the aircraft. Please check the attached file for reference to locate the number.
3. The details of your flight include the flight date, area(coordinate and radius), and height. You may use Google Maps or this link for the coordinate: GPS coordinate converter.
4. A copy of your approval (LAANC or COA or other forms of authorization document). For the blue Authorization zone or the non-controlled airspace, the authorization document is unnecessary.

Thank you for your understanding and support!

You’ll soon receive a customer satisfaction survey for our service. We are looking forward to hearing your suggestions, and hope that you can share your valuable ideas with us. If your problem has not yet been solved, we will continue to assist you.

Please take care and stay safe during the pandemic.

Best regards,

Jeff.Liu
DJI Technical Support
YouTube: http://s.dji.com/DJI-Tutorials

Reactions: evo400
I understand your frustration. And it would be nice if getting LAANC approval (I assume that what you mean by FAA approval) automatically resulted in a DJI unlock. But the DJI unlock process isn't that complicated. You can do an automatic zone unlock, valid for 3 days from whatever starting day you pick, in advance of your planned flight (easiest from your computer). Then as long as DJI Fly has time to connect and download the unlock while connected to the Internet you can load it into your drone any time after that.

the DJI unlock process isn't that complicated. You can do an automatic zone unlock, valid for 3 days from whatever starting day you pick,
My experience is, DJI does not always get back in time. Several times I have gotten a response back AFTER the date or not at all. So in those circumstances I'll fly the Autel Evo to get past DJI and for the last 2 weeks have used the 'hack' which has worked flawlessly with no more dealing with DJI's method.

Please note that the FAA approved DJI as a LAANC UAS Service Supplier in 2018,
This was the response to the OP? 3 years and they still can't do it better... Pulleeeze! I'll happily fly a hacked DJI drone now or an Autel. Who needs more duplication when you are part 107 with a LAANC. Not I.

Cheers!

My experience is, DJI does not always get back in time. Several times I have gotten a response back AFTER the date or not at all. So in those circumstances I'll fly the Autel Evo to get past DJI and for the last 2 weeks have used the 'hack' which has worked flawlessly with no more dealing with DJI's method.
I don't understand what you mean by "back in time". I do zone unlocks through their web site, and the result is immediate. Were you doing custom unlocks, or using some other process?

Anyway, I guess you have solved your problem.

It's a couple of 0 grids, but not in the approaches to the airport. After getting an authorization via FAAdronezone, it's a custom unlock through DJI. Never had an issue until the end of summer, then suddenly it would stay pending for days then approved, but by then the FAA authorization had expired. Now it just stays pending and neither approves nor denies it. No issues anywhere else with a zero grid. Go figure....

IMO, if I hold an FAA authorization I'm good to go within the restraints of that authorization and the rules governing Drone flights. I had 2 options, Either fly a competitor's drone or apply a hack. Now I do both. ;)

Cheers!

Reactions: Paint Rock Drones
Just get yourself one of those hacks you mentioned - DJI lockout problem solved!

Reactions: db4476
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonkyBroxy