DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Waypoint Behavior on Low Battery

Droning on and on...

Reactions
Simple question: Is the battery nanny paying attention during on-board waypoint flight on the Mini 4P/Air 3/Mavic 3 such that the mission aborts and RTH kicks in as usual when low battery occurs? Same when disconnected and "continue" is selected for the mission?

You seem to have more experience with this than most guys on here....is this a hypothetical question?...or were you setting up a waypoints flight and ran into a problem?
I am amazed by what the DJI engineers have come up with, and I find it hard to think they would have overlooked something that could be this critical.....maybe a question directly to DJI would get the right answer to this. ..Thank you for bringing it up 👍

The low voltage "safety net" exists even when using 3:rd party apps (if applicable) so it's very likely firmware regulated & it exists in all other (DJI) available flight modes... would hugely surprise if they have decided to deactivate it only in the waypoint mode & let the drone fly until it drops. It's there with a probability of 99,999%.

Test it out... perfect excuse to get out & fly.

Simple question: Is the battery nanny paying attention during on-board waypoint flight on the Mini 4P/Air 3/Mavic 3 such that the mission aborts and RTH kicks in as usual when low battery occurs? Same when disconnected and "continue" is selected for the mission?
Yes

I'm too chicken to test it.

I do use waypoint missions, going back to the P4 using Litchi. I'm not one to deliberately either plan a disconnect mission, nor fly one where the possibility of low battery RTH would kick in.

Now that I'm using the WP feature on the M4P in DJI Fly, I was curious what would happen during a disconnected, "continue" mission when the "E.T. Go Home" battery level was reached.

My expectation is DJI would engineer this in the obvious, logical way and abort the mission, and execute a normal RTH.

Regrettably, I've found on occasion DJI doesn't do the obvious, logical thing. Like trapping drones in geofences. 🙄

You see my curiosity and slight concern. 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: MARK (LI)
I'm too chicken to test it.

I do use waypoint missions, going back to the P4 using Litchi. I'm not one to deliberately either plan a disconnect mission, nor fly one where the possibility of low battery RTH would kick in.

Now that I'm using the WP feature on the M4P in DJI Fly, I was curious what would happen during a disconnected, "continue" mission when the "E.T. Go Home" battery level was reached.

My expectation is DJI would engineer this in the obvious, logical way and abort the mission, and execute a normal RTH.

Regrettably, I've found on occasion DJI doesn't do the obvious, logical thing. Like trapping drones in geofences. 🙄

You see my curiosity and slight concern. 😁
My experience two nights ago. I ran a night hyperlapse waypoint mission. At the end I saw I had enough battery (or so I thought) to run another to different waypoints to check out another theory I had. I made sure the aircraft worked its way closer and closer to me. It looked like the mission would end within a couple of hundred feet from me and with 6 minutes of battery left. But, just before that an audible announced "battery level low. Returning to home in 10 seconds." And it did. It's an Air 3.

Hope this helps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne