DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

do i have to use go4 with goggles?

laura schlenker

Reactions
hi, I just ordered a pair of the goggles, my question is I'm actually still on the original djigo not the go4 , ive never had any issues so I just never updated to go 4.. is that going to be a issue with the goggles?

I just posted this in another thread, but since you guys are discussing a similar issue here, I'll repost it below. Please advise if you can help:

I LOVE my DJI Goggles. Since I've had them I've worn them every flight and never look at my iPad. So I tried flying yesterday without even plugging in the iPad, just using the RC controller and the Goggles. So I just launched using the goggles - worked fine. For some reason, when I got about 100 feet away and ~ 100 feet up, the mavic braked abruptly and I got a message saying "Maximum Height Reached" and then "Maximum Distance Reached".

I was not in beginner mode. I had NOT set a Max Height or turned on Max Height in the settings. I did have Sports Mode Enabled in the settings tab in DJI GO 4. I thought, "crap" and landed immediately. I plugged in my iPad and verified that all the settings were correct - they were.

So I did NOT change any settings in DJI GO and launched again right away, this time with my iPad plugged into the controller. This time everything worked fine, no Max Height or Max Distance messages at all.

So are there some height/distance restrictions I'm unaware of when trying to fly using ONLY the Goggles with the RC Controller, and no tablet/phone?

Does anyone know what caused this?
I'm on the latest software version and latest firmware version.

On the bright side, I'm shocked and amazed: I'm 48 and have poor vision: near-sighted AND far-sighted. I use fairly strong progressive lenses in my glasses. I was expecting to have to use some readers with the goggles, but surprisingly the screen looks crystal clear with NO glasses or lenses at all. I even went to the dollar store and tried every different strength of readers to see if I could see any improvement, (just in case I was missing something and unaware of it) but they allmade the image look blurry.

So some good news for those of you who wear glasses and are thinking of getting the goggles: you may not need any extra lenses at all - everyone's vision is different. I'm able to focus just fine to a very clear point just using the PD adjustment on the goggles.

I also noticed that it looks like they've taken away the GEO-FENCING setting in DJI GO with the latest firmware update. Does this mean that it's just always on or always off? Or did they move it and I missed it somehow?

Thanks for any insight or help you may have.

I just posted this in another thread, but since you guys are discussing a similar issue here, I'll repost it below. Please advise if you can help:

I LOVE my DJI Goggles. Since I've had them I've worn them every flight and never look at my iPad. So I tried flying yesterday without even plugging in the iPad, just using the RC controller and the Goggles. So I just launched using the goggles - worked fine. For some reason, when I got about 100 feet away and ~ 100 feet up, the mavic braked abruptly and I got a message saying "Maximum Height Reached" and then "Maximum Distance Reached".

I was not in beginner mode. I had NOT set a Max Height or turned on Max Height in the settings. I did have Sports Mode Enabled in the settings tab in DJI GO 4. I thought, "crap" and landed immediately. I plugged in my iPad and verified that all the settings were correct - they were.

So I did NOT change any settings in DJI GO and launched again right away, this time with my iPad plugged into the controller. This time everything worked fine, no Max Height or Max Distance messages at all.

So are there some height/distance restrictions I'm unaware of when trying to fly using ONLY the Goggles with the RC Controller, and no tablet/phone?

Does anyone know what caused this?
I'm on the latest software version and latest firmware version.

On the bright side, I'm shocked and amazed: I'm 48 and have poor vision: near-sighted AND far-sighted. I use fairly strong progressive lenses in my glasses. I was expecting to have to use some readers with the goggles, but surprisingly the screen looks crystal clear with NO glasses or lenses at all. I even went to the dollar store and tried every different strength of readers to see if I could see any improvement, (just in case I was missing something and unaware of it) but they allmade the image look blurry.

So some good news for those of you who wear glasses and are thinking of getting the goggles: you may not need any extra lenses at all - everyone's vision is different. I'm able to focus just fine to a very clear point just using the PD adjustment on the goggles.

I also noticed that it looks like they've taken away the GEO-FENCING setting in DJI GO with the latest firmware update. Does this mean that it's just always on or always off? Or did they move it and I missed it somehow?

Thanks for any insight or help you may have.
I believe one of the more recent updates they made it so it is restricted if you do not have a device connected. So your experience is what to be expected.

I wasn't so lucky with the vision thing. I am nearsighted but I guess my close up vision is going now too. :(
I 3D printed lens holders, used a Dremel tool and a set of cheap readers fix that issue.

hi, I just ordered a pair of the goggles, my question is I'm actually still on the original djigo not the go4 , ive never had any issues so I just never updated to go 4.. is that going to be a issue with the goggles?

You should because you will need the updated
Version for the new flight menus the goggles will start right up with no problems

I am not sure if the Mavic with recognize you as logged in if you fly with just the goggles (no phone). In order to exceed the really small flight limits you must be logged in.

So you have to use a phone/tablet plus the goggles,to get all the features? I was under the impression that the goggles eliminated the need for a phone/tablet while operating the MP.

So you have to use a phone/tablet plus the goggles,to get all the features? I was under the impression that the goggles eliminated the need for a phone/tablet while operating the MP.
it will work without a phone but your distance is limited to something like 100 feet. I think being connected to the app makes sure you are not in a nfz or something similar.

Yes, fount the height and distance limitation by pure chance and had me scratching my head as to why. Nowadays if I just want to fly without Ipad etc I just plug it in until get the "Ready To Go" message, disconnect the cable from controller and fly as far as I want and to what ever the height restrictions (if any) are set till the battery alarm tells me the fun is over, till the new battery in. However, need to replug device back in till get the ready message again.

I use the Goggles with Litchi (but it's important to note, the Goggles assign their own use for C1 and C2).

How did you install Litchi? Google store?
Also, do you get the flight restrictions while using the Litchi app too?
Thanks!

If I had an Android phone, I"d install from the Google store (I use IOS devices) so it's from the Applle App store. Flight restrictions are the same no matter what app you use.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre