DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I need WiFi?

JET17

Reactions
I got the mavic Drone last week. My question is do I need to receive WiFi to fly this properly.? I have a Samsung Galaxy j7 Sky Pro, it doesn't seem compatible with this drone. I don't want to have to buy a new phone and pay another monthly fee for service just to fly the Drone. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 6 Nook, but it doesn't seem to pick up WiFi away from the house. Any suggestions will be appreciated, thanks.

You don't need to be connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi or via a cellular connection to fly a Mavic.

Reactions: JET17
Very interesting, another newly pilot here, I have a question, how does the mavic picks up the real time maps if there's no data service, or I need to download offline maps first?
Because offline maps is gone since the las update 4.1.1.8 in November.

Thanks in advance to all the pro's who make learning easy, to all of us.

Reactions: BmrUpInTheSky
DJI say they are working on restoring offline map download.
But don't hold your breath.
It used to run with google maps which was quite good and you could download and cache an area in advance - provided you knew where you would be.
I believe it's possible to get it back on google mapping, not sure the best way.

Reactions: Islandguy27
DJI say they are working on restoring offline map download.
But don't hold your breath.
It used to run with google maps which was quite good and you could download and cache an area in advance - provided you knew where you would be.
I believe it's possible to get it back on google mapping, not sure the best way.
Very sad, as it was very smooth and accurate after having pre-downloaded your maps, no errors or signal lost at all.
Hope we get it back.

Very interesting, another newly pilot here, I have a question, how does the mavic picks up the real time maps if there's no data service, or I need to download offline maps first?
It will not be able to pick up the maps in real-time if your mobile device is not connected to the Internet. Cache the maps in DJI GO like this before you head out to fly.

Thanks Msinger, I have a Android phone, how does automatically cache the maps, do I just have to go to the place and fly or open the map destination before going?

I did but when you close up it does looks a bit blurry.

I have a Android phone, how does automatically cache the maps
As explained in the post I linked above, you must open DJI GO, go to the location on the map where you'll be flying, zoom in to the desired zoom level, and drag the map around so it loads the images for the area where you'll be flying. Those images will then be cached (downloaded and stored locally) so they are available the next time you open DJI GO (even if DJI GO is not connected to the Internet).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d