DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do quick shots depend on phone speed?

quemazon

Reactions
I'm learning to use the quick shots for solo hiking/biking trips, and as most know, they are hit or miss. Yesterday I noticed an error message indicating that the phone's CPU was overloaded (or something similar) especially when doing circle shots. I use an older iphone 6 as a dedicated screen for the drone, and it's always worked fine. But it appears that that using an older phone affects the quick shot modes.

Most of the computing for navigation and stabilization is done on the drone itself and doesn't depend on the phone. In fact you can turn the phone off, and it will fly back to the home point, no problem. But the quick shot modes use image recognition for object tracking, and I assume those computations are done on the phone. I'm going to re-do this test with an iphone 8. Has anyone else done a comparison?

I don't think image tracking is done by the phone. Link I would believe to be too slow, too much latency.

It may be coincidence about the CPU issue as it has increased for iOS app version 1.2.2. I got it on my iPad and I was just flying around and checking out the attitude indicator.

I don't think image tracking is done by the phone. Link I would believe to be too slow, too much latency.

It may be coincidence about the CPU issue as it has increased for iOS app version 1.2.2. I got it on my iPad and I was just flying around and checking out the attitude indicator.

I assumed the same...that the image processing is done by the drone. But the CPU overload error seemed to correspond with failed circle quick shots. I'll do some further testing.

I'm learning to use the quick shots for solo hiking/biking trips, and as most know, they are hit or miss. Yesterday I noticed an error message indicating that the phone's CPU was overloaded (or something similar) especially when doing circle shots. I use an older iphone 6 as a dedicated screen for the drone, and it's always worked fine. But it appears that that using an older phone affects the quick shot modes.

Most of the computing for navigation and stabilization is done on the drone itself and doesn't depend on the phone. In fact you can turn the phone off, and it will fly back to the home point, no problem. But the quick shot modes use image recognition for object tracking, and I assume those computations are done on the phone. I'm going to re-do this test with an iphone 8. Has anyone else done a comparison?
If you use the Fly app for certain photo modes, you can see the app processing the image with a progress circle operating around the white button. For most commands, I would assume that the app is using the host unit’s processor. I use an iphone 11 Pro and it is fairly quick. An older iphone might struggle. I have also seen reports that the ipad mini 5 is apparently better than the mini 4, as a host unit and that the latest Apple products perform better than Android. My 11 Pro keeps up with the pace okay. ??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom