DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do we need to bind the Smart Controller to MA2 for fly away coverage?

crash3x

Reactions
I’ve been out of town, unfortunately without my MA2 and I was wondering if the smart controller, can be, or needs to be bound with my MA2 for the new fly away coverage.

I’ve seen instructions about the stock remote but nothing noted about the S/C.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

From DJI - "In order to use Flyaway Coverage, users must have bound their DJI account and remote controller with their aircraft using the DJI Fly app. If this binding operation has not been completed prior to experiencing a flyaway incident, Flyaway Coverage cannot be used."**

Once you have Fly v1.2.4 installed you should see an onscreen prompt to bind the controller to the aircraft. If not you can go to Profile => Settings => Device Management to add binding info.

** Quoted text from and additional info about flyaway coverage, along with how to setup instructions, can be found at - DJI Care Refresh Launches Flyaway Coverage: Enjoy Worry-Free Flights - DJI Guides

Reactions: pelagic_one
I’ve been out of town, unfortunately without my MA2 and I was wondering if the smart controller, can be, or needs to be bound with my MA2 for the new fly away coverage.

I’ve seen instructions about the stock remote but nothing noted about the S/C.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

That is indeed a very good question. DJI's new implementation of coverage has something to do with actual controller and binding process (Stock) however the SC can link multiple aircraft. It doesn't seem going with all that has been reported (Implied) that the SC fit's into this scenario. At present I would question you with a few things. Do you have the stock controller? Does the Fly App within the SC show that additional feature now that let's you link it for this purpose?

I personally am not understanding how it would work given all that I think I know about the program...I will get in touch with a few people I know that may be able to answer this...you in turn need to let DJI handle this unless someone else chimes in and has already went that route. I would not listen to anyone until DJI themselves have said that the SC firmware is modified to allow the action...even if that function is on it's fly app...this could be a over site and result in a bricked SC.

And then your going to have a small battle if DJI wants to play their games. I will send out my questions now, but time differences are going to preclude a rapid response...so Get DJI on the line ...however and pose it to them...do not use first tier or disregard first tier if they give you something like posted above (No Offense to that person who is just trying to help) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: crash3x
That is indeed a very good question. DJI's new implementation of coverage has something to do with actual controller and binding process (Stock) however the SC can link multiple aircraft. It doesn't seem going with all that has been reported (Implied) that the SC fit's into this scenario. At present I would question you with a few things. Do you have the stock controller? Does the Fly App within the SC show that additional feature now that let's you link it for this purpose?

I personally am not understanding how it would work given all that I think I know about the program...I will get in touch with a few people I know that may be able to answer this...you in turn need to let DJI handle this unless someone else chimes in and has already went that route. I would not listen to anyone until DJI themselves have said that the SC firmware is modified to allow the action...even if that function is on it's fly app...this could be a over site and result in a bricked SC.

And then your going to have a small battle if DJI wants to play their games. I will send out my questions now, but time differences are going to preclude a rapid response...so Get DJI on the line ...however and pose it to them...do not use first tier or disregard first tier if they give you something like posted above (No Offense to that person who is just trying to help) :)
I finally got the time to try and this was the result: So I bound my factory/original MA2 remote to MA2 and all went well.. Then when I went to bind my smart controller to my MA2 it made me drop the original binding with the factory MA2 remote and then bound to my smart controller. The end result seems to be to bind which ever remote you are going to use for that day/flight. I tried this back and fourth twice to see if both my factory MA2 remote and the smart controller would BOTH bind and stay actively bound but they will not, it's one or the other, so if you have both controllers like I do, make sure you bind the controller you plan on using that day or night.

How can you bind the Smart Controller? From within it I can't see the menu. Are you binding the SC from within App on mobile phone instead of using the DJI Fly on the SC?
Regards
I bound my smart controller using the DJI Fly app on my smart controller. After your MA2 connects to the SC, it brings you to the screen that says "go fly" - don't hit - "go fly" at the bottom of that screen you'll see the profile tab, tap that and follow the instructions.

The process to bind the SC and the factory controller is exactly the same so if you run into any issue just follow the directions for binding the factory controller. DJI site or YouTube etc.

Like I mentioned prior, if you switch up controllers, I do for travel purposes sometimes, you need to bind which ever controller you're using that flight to make sure you're covered for fly away coverage.

Reactions: dawgpilot
When I go to Profile in the SC there are no instructions and there isn't the Device Management Link from within Profile page.

When I go to Profile in the SC there are no instructions and there isn't the Device Management Link from within Profile page.
I'm currently out but a little later today when I get home I'll walk go through the steps and let you know exactly what the process is and try to take screen shots as well.

Reactions: Lestat75
Ok, solved the mess.
I needed to upgrade firmware on the Smart Controller.
Now I see the Device Management link and I've paired the SC
Thanks
I didn't even think about that! Yes there was a SC update a little ways back! Glad to see you figured it out, just remember if you happen to grab your factory remote to bind it just incase of a fly away then bind it back to your SC..
Happy flying !!

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slitsling69