DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you keep the battery on the aircraft or take it out for travel?

Same here and have since I got my first MP.

I also leave it in, including when flying with my drone (obviously both drone and battery are in carry-on for this). I keep the drone well packed to avoid damage, so this padding doubles up to protect the battery from bumps too. There's also no chance of something coming into contact with the battery terminals and causing a short circuit if it's in the drone.

FWIW, I also use LiPo safe bags for my spare batteries for the padding and protection from shorts, especially when flying, although this isn't currently a requirement - just that batteries be in carry on.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Do you keep the battery on the aircraft or take it out for travel?
Why?
dear @lomposlapos i see you joined this forum in November 2017 have you been flying a drone for that long ,or is it a recent thing, i ask only because you seem to be a newbie at the hobby,and all the answers for your questions can be found by doing a search on the forum yours OMM

Reactions: The Editor
all the answers for your questions can be found

Could you please point to an answer for the questions below? Thank you!

or this:

Depends if I am flying on a plane or vehicle - I have three lipo safe battery bags so if I fly I transport them inside the lipo bags - if I am travelling in my vehicle I leave one on the quad. You never know what an airline might request so better to be prepared ahead of time.

I always take my batteries out ever since I found my M2P on and hot in the case - something pushed on the battery just right to activate it. Also, since batteries autodischarge when stored, they warm up too if kept full in a foam cell case enclosure.

This was the decisive answer. Thank you.
Well, still it's a very unlikely event and I guess, highly depends on the case/bag you take your bird with you ...
Here one can see, why a simple push would not power on the drone, but as well known, short push, long push is the way to power on the Mavic. ;)

It depends....

If I have been flying and it's hot and the battery is HOT I take it out and place in the case to indicate it needs charging. If it's not a HOT battery and it doesn't need recharging then it stays in the bird for traveling home/work etc.

Could you please point to an answer for the questions below? Thank you!

or this:

why and why what value would you gain from trying to do these things

Well, still it's a very unlikely event and I guess, highly depends on the case/bag you take your bird with you ...
Here one can see, why a simple push would not power on the drone, but as well known, short push, long push is the way to power on the Mavic. ;)

It only happened once to my M2P in a Pelican case, definitely one too many times for me! I was on a offroad trip, so the bumps were everything, everywhere and in every direction over many miles. It was also my fault in that I tend to put everything in that case so there were sectional maps and my prop guards over the thiner top layer of foam covering my drone. But I can also see it happening if your drone is in a softpack with other heavy stuff in it and you are walking around with it slung over a shoulder.

As for batteries, just don’t store them in a foam cell case while they are charged over 60-70% as they will heat up a lot in there if they are stored for several days when they go into auto-discharge mode.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15