DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you look up when you fly?

Atlas

Reactions
I think most would agree seeing your surrounding from a new perspective is one of the best things about piloting a UAV. Looking down at the world like I'm superman always brings me back for more.
Of course I want to try all my bird has to offer so I turned on the 30°extra tilt a few weeks ago. Wow. I'll never turn it off. All this time I've been flying I feel I was missing half the picture.

05200a996032d57a433b23b5f0dae7ef.jpg
f38dbefd2dfb0cf2ee7fe2de2a2641fb.jpg

Reactions: BluesDragon
I think most would agree seeing your surrounding from a new perspective is one of the best things about piloting a UAV. Looking down at the world like I'm superman always brings me back for more.
Of course I want to try all my bird has to offer so I turned on the 30°extra tilt a few weeks ago. Wow. I'll never turn it off. All this time I've been flying I feel I was missing half the picture.

05200a996032d57a433b23b5f0dae7ef.jpg
f38dbefd2dfb0cf2ee7fe2de2a2641fb.jpg
Naturally! That is if you are referring to VLOS. When it comes to gimbal and camera tilt at 30+, mine are always set for that no matter what I shoot. Besides that setting has made for many great sunset shots for me. Hey! Look at what you got. Nice Job!Thumbswayup

If you are referring to VLOS , I do until I can't see it anymore then I rely on the camera. I've set my gimbal tilt to 30° a while ago. It makes for some awesome shots if you're flying backwards.

Some of my favorite sunset pictures are taken that way (those are some nice ones you got there). I definetly always leave the 30 degree tilt enabled just as another tool in the bag of possibilities. -CF

I always leave it on as when I shoot 360 degree panoramics using Lichti or Hangar 360 those applications need to be able to tilt the gimbal up 15 degree's to capture whats above.

I have settings within the apps to tilt up 15 degrees. More than that and the props enter the frame and then those frames are unusable.

With the camera of the drone? Yes.
On the ground, myself? Yes. It is funny to see when you are looking in the sky for just a moment people nearby start to look in the sky too, curious about what I might see there even if they can't see the drone because she is too far to see... Makes me laugh inside ...

Reactions: wytnyt
With the camera of the drone? Yes.
On the ground, myself? Yes. It is funny to see when you are looking in the sky for just a moment people nearby start to look in the sky too, curious about what I might see there even if they can't see the drone because she is too far to see... Makes me laugh inside ...
agreed

Don't forget to look UP just before you launch.
There have been a few times when I nearly flew straight into some branches because I didn't look up before launching. I would be standing somewhat close to trees, move WELL away from the base of the tree, and underestimate just how far those branches reach out. Then I launch and shoot straight up and WHOOOAAA, close call!

Don't forget to look UP just before you launch.
There have been a few times when I nearly flew straight into some branches because I didn't look up before launching. I would be standing somewhat close to trees, move WELL away from the base of the tree, and underestimate just how far those branches reach out. Then I launch and shoot straight up and WHOOOAAA, close call!
...I did the dame mistake few monthes ago... But not with trees, with an electric wire... The mavic took off, and gone right zone that wire... =>CRASH => 500$ bill to fly again ( camera, rear arm, gimbal and front cams died....)
Whatch the sky before taking off!!!!

Naturally! That is if you are referring to VLOS. When it comes to gimbal and camera tilt at 30+, mine are always set for that no matter what I shoot. Besides that setting has made for many great sunset shots for me. Hey! Look at what you got. Nice Job!Thumbswayup
Very Nice sunset by the way!!
Yep, the up 30°tilt ils vert usefull for sûre!
I love take photos of clouds, it looks like the sky is endless... :)... And wonderful colors!

I normally have no choice but to visually look at my drones as 90% of my take-offs originate at the base of 100-120' trees when I'm at my mountain home up at 8,000' MSL and when I'm at my CA home at sea level I usually launch vertically from within 8' of my house between my house and a large tall Maple Tree. Ever since dragging my Inspire's camera through the top of a 100' AGL snow covered treetop when it was 120' away still climbing out I try to utilize my monitor more during take-off. From the ground it looked like I was clear of the tree top until I looked at my video after the flight.

Last edited:
It's good to see that you all "look outside the box" The question could by answered both ways. From the ground and the sky. I'd like to believe a responsible pilot would look up before you even power on your bird and keep VLOS thought out the flight.
Fly safe fellow pilots.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock