DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you remove the propellers before putting in the case?

I just got my M2P yesterday and love how easy the props are to put on and take off. But having had a Mini for a short time, and in that short time have found warped propellers when I thought I was securing the propellers properly before casing, and also getting "hover drift", which I have to believe due to wobbly props, presumably fixed by replacing the screws, I'm a little gun-shy about handing the M2P with props on. Obviously the Mini props are nearly paper thin and have no mass to them at all, so logically would be subject to becoming distored, making flying difficult.

I guess the bottom line questions are; how much special care do the propellers on the M2 need, and do you take them off before putting them in the case? The bonus question is- Which case do you use? I have the Fly More case, an Apache 2800 that would just barely fit the essentials. I'm also considering ordering this case from Amazon for $38 which has the cutouts aleready built in, but not as sturdy as an Apache or Pelican. Thoughts on cases? TIA
I fly Mavic Air and Mavic Air 2. With each, I put them in the cases WITH props attached. I have Never had a problem. Don't know if the same will be true with the M2P, but I suggest that, since it is similar to the MA2, you should be in good shape if you are careful.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
The Fly More case that I have I use for sandwiches for the day because it's not worth anything else. Have a Lowepro backpack that I sectioned to secure my equipment. Props on when stored, just make sure you inspect before the days flights and anytime you were close to trees and scrubs. I also use PGYTECH Propeller Holders to hold them in transit.

Reactions: Drumsagard
I carry the lowpro backpack with the smart controller mavic zoom epson bt35e glasses 3 batterys snacks and water and they all have a case lol
This is a really great way to pack everything. You gave me an idea... I actually have a Lowpro camera backpack in my closet that I haven't really used and is just storing legacy camera gear. It has a lower section that I'll bet would be near perfect for the drone and a separate upper pocket for a case with all the other stuff. Hmmm... Thanks for the idea.

I've got those in my shopping cart right now, contemplating whether I should try them. Perhaps I'll pull the trigger and try them. I love Amazon. So easy to order and super-easy returns. They must be here 5x-wk with something or other.
DACCKIT makes a good case that wont break the bank heck ebay.com
It's funny you should say that... I just received one this morning... and they must have sent me the one for a different model, though I ordered correctly. The label on the outside of the box specifically says for M2Pro It looks like a good case and would actually fit in my backpack so I could carry my other junk. BUT THE M2PRO DIDN'T FIT- AT ALL!!! Not even close. My measurements can be off a bit, but if I'm anywhere near close the difference is 20mm! I suspect that the product was mislabled or mis-categorized at Amazon and was for one of the other Mavics. But you're right, not a bad case for $38. But as the case was mislabled I can't reorder it as I suspect the same problem would exist across all their stock.

Dacckitcase_discrepancy.jpg

Reactions: Rattydude77
Hello. Just going to toss in my two cents.... I ran across a thread on this forum or one of the Sub-forums about 6-12 months ago where this same question was asked.... One of the members offered a very interesting observation as to why they choose not to leave props in place. To me, it seemed that the observation had some merit. The person made mention of the fact that the prop/motor housing has a spring in it that maintains the pressure against the propellers to keep them seated in place securely. If the spring is under constant load (i.e. props always attached every day 365 days of the year) this could lead to premature spring failure. (i.e. the spring may eventually develop a "memory" and lose its effectiveness to maintain proper pressure against the propellers to keep them seated securely.

It seems possible. I obviously don't have an engineering degree or any specs or data about the springs such as what type of metal they are made from etc. but as with anything, over time, parts and pieces start to show their age. So by not leaving props attached all the time, I just look at it as a bit of preventative maintenance

I choose to remove my props at the end of every flying day. However, I don't remove them if I'll be changing locations. For example, if I choose to drive an hour or two to my next location. And sometimes I'm in a hurry to pack up because I may have been doing sunset video or photo shoots and losing daylight and don't want to be on a trail in total dark (I do prepare for that scenario just in case though) and I just toss my Mav 2 in my backpack thinking I'll remove props at home. I usually forget though. ?

Stay healthy and Virus free friends,

Svfdfireman

Reactions: KLRSKIR
I ran across a thread on this forum...The person made mention of the fact that the prop/motor housing has a spring in it that maintains the pressure against the propellers to keep them seated in place securely. If the spring is under constant load (i.e. props always attached every day 365 days of the year) this could lead to premature spring failure.
It makes perfect sense. I think before I let it go into long term storage I'll take the props off. Thanks for the info. I have an update to the drone case saga, but I think I'll post this in a separate thread under General discussion.

@Rattydude77 In case you didn't see the other thread, Amazon gave me a nice promotional credit and I modified the case to the M2P would fit. This is a great case and would have been a good value even at full price... But now, I've practically stolen it. I had to do some carving to get the M2 to fit, but it should be perfect for my needs. The lid can even carry my Vindibox. As a bonus, the bag that came with the FlyMore, while almost too snug for the M2 will accommodate my Mini nicely.

@Rattydude77 In case you didn't see the other thread, Amazon gave me a nice promotional credit and I modified the case to the M2P would fit. This is a great case and would have been a good value even at full price... But now, I've practically stolen it. I had to do some carving to get the M2 to fit, but it should be perfect for my needs. The lid can even carry my Vindibox. As a bonus, the bag that came with the FlyMore, while almost too snug for the M2 will accommodate my Mini nicely.
Very nice I won a Dacket case from Dacket.com but never used it still In the box In the plastic I put my zoom In it fit perfect just no room for smart controller.

Reactions: vindibona1
I leave mine on all the time and inspect before each flight. I have the M2Z and the fly more kit. I found the fly more bag incredibly tight trying to put it in with the props on. Truth be told I found the fly more case frustrating to use so I ordered a Nanuk 920 on amazon almost immediately. It was on sale for $125CDN at the time. It’s worth every penny in my eyes. It fits the drone perfectly with the props on (cutout is designed for it). It also fits my charging station, 3 spare batteries, car charger, wall charger, iPad mount, lanyard, 8 spare props, mobile device cables, and I put my iPad mini 4 (w/ otterbox) above the egg crate foam in the top of the case and it closes perfectly. To top it of the case is drop rated (2 metres I think) waterproof and it floats. There’s also a spot for a padlock

I leave mine on all the time and inspect before each flight. I have the M2Z and the fly more kit. I found the fly more bag incredibly tight trying to put it in with the props on. Truth be told I found the fly more case frustrating to use so I ordered a Nanuk 920 on amazon almost immediately. It was on sale for $125CDN at the time. It’s worth every penny in my eyes. It fits the drone perfectly with the props on (cutout is designed for it). It also fits my charging station, 3 spare batteries, car charger, wall charger, iPad mount, lanyard, 8 spare props, mobile device cables, and I put my iPad mini 4 (w/ otterbox) above the egg crate foam in the top of the case and it closes perfectly. To top it of the case is drop rated (2 metres I think) waterproof and it floats. There’s also a spot for a padlock

Yeah... The flymore bag is way too tight for a M2, but accomodates the Mini nicely. While I have similar case to the Dacckit for my Mini I can see times when I'll throw the flymore bag with the Mini over my shoulder. Much as I am in awe of the M2P there is still a place for the Mini. My grandson loves it and I can fly it in the house when it's too yucky outside.

I use a hard case but also use the Master Airscrew props most of the time. As they are a bit thinner than the stock props I take them off before casing the drone. The tips of the MAS props are very delicate.

Paul C

Yeah... The flymore bag is way too tight for a M2, but accomodates the Mini nicely. While I have similar case to the Dacckit for my Mini I can see times when I'll throw the flymore bag with the Mini over my shoulder. Much as I am in awe of the M2P there is still a place for the Mini. My grandson loves it and I can fly it in the house when it's too yucky outside.
I use the fly more case for my mini as well, it’s fairly functional for that purpose. My P4 Multispectral is currently in a foam case but I’ll be looking into a hard case for that one as well. That one is way too costly to cheap out on travel protection!

I use a hard case but also use the Master Airscrew props most of the time. As they are a bit thinner than the stock props I take them off before casing the drone. The tips of the MAS props are very delicate.

Paul C

I was looking at those Master Airscrew props and actually have a set in my Amazon "save for later' bin. They're about the same price as the DJI props and have had good reports. I'm curious, what do you like about them. The Amazon review rave about them. What do the different colors do? I was thinking either orange or white. Do either make it easier to see the drone at reasonable distance?

I always take my props off before putting the M2P in my case or backpack... gotta remove them to check the retaining tabs anyway. Have had one serious crash related to on of the 3 tabs being broken and falling in/bi ding up the motor it was on.

I was looking at those Master Airscrew props and actually have a set in my Amazon "save for later' bin. They're about the same price as the DJI props and have had good reports. I'm curious, what do you like about them. The Amazon review rave about them. What do the different colors do? I was thinking either orange or white. Do either make it easier to see the drone at reasonable distance?
Hello
What I find is that the MP2 hovers more stable. I tend to get drift (yaw) when I use the stick DJI props. I do a lot of manual panos where I need multiple exposures usually 10 and having the drone yaw during the sequence make post work harder and since the lens has a lot of retro focus distortion objects towards the edge of the frame will have different shapes again making alignment more difficult. The pitch is different to my ears less a audible sound. Which I prefer for my flights near my home. The orange color props do make visible sighting of the drone a bit easier in good light.
I switched to MAS on my Phantom 4 pro VR 2 and never looked back due to fact the MAS props allowed a much more stable flight for me.

Plenty written about the Vr2 and issues with it not flying straight or drifting during hovering.

Paul C

I just got my M2P yesterday and love how easy the props are to put on and take off. But having had a Mini for a short time, and in that short time have found warped propellers when I thought I was securing the propellers properly before casing, and also getting "hover drift", which I have to believe due to wobbly props, presumably fixed by replacing the screws, I'm a little gun-shy about handing the M2P with props on. Obviously the Mini props are nearly paper thin and have no mass to them at all, so logically would be subject to becoming distored, making flying difficult.

I guess the bottom line questions are; how much special care do the propellers on the M2 need, and do you take them off before putting them in the case? The bonus question is- Which case do you use? I have the Fly More case, an Apache 2800 that would just barely fit the essentials. I'm also considering ordering this case from Amazon for $38 which has the cutouts aleready built in, but not as sturdy as an Apache or Pelican. Thoughts on cases? TIA

I always leave them on MY M2P and as a rule ALWAYS examine them carefully before a flight. I do secure them with these from PGYTech. I store everything in a GPC Mavic 2 case.

516v9C8LXdL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Attachments

• 516v9C8LXdL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    516v9C8LXdL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 2
I remove my props off all my drones.
Just seems correct to save the tension on the springs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929