DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you store the battery on or off the Mavic?

I would say off in case something goes wrong with it and it explodes at least then your Mavic is safe.

I was thinking the same thing, but I store mine on. I have plenty of room in my pack so I might store it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, good question! How many batts can fit in the DJI bag? I'll have a total of 4 once I receive my Mavic.

I'd say does not matter, the battery will be switched off in any case, I reckon it'll have to be in the Mavic to enable the 3 batteries to be carried, I think the 4th battery will not fit in the shoulder bag, from what I've seen. I'll tell you tomorrow when I get mine, woooohoooo...

Pardon me, to me that's like saying you should keep your car on chassis stands to stop the road springs sagging. I can't recall reading that about the Phantom anywhere, but I'm prepared to be corrected if that's what DJI say, rather than someone expressing an opinion as fact.. :confused:

Not really, if you keep a spring compressed it will gradually lose it's desire to uncompress (making good contact) over time..
It isn't like a car spring, it's just a bit of bent wire ;)
Somewhat hypothetical but there's no good reason to leave them connected other than it looks better and takes up less space.

Given they are shipped in situ...
They're almost still warm when you get them just now.

Off - the Mavic batteries (like DJI's other offerings) are software controlled for powering on and off.
There is always the possibility of this going wrong.
Additionally, DJI's track record of poor hibernation management for their batteries is well documented and if one of the Mavic self discharges below 1v per cell, not only will it likely cause swelling of the pack, but it can also put it in a volatile state.

Your Mavics though, your money......... I know where I will be storing mine.

Last edited:
I would say off also, it's a good habbit in most cases, even when you store a car for longer time you disconnect the batterie ;)

Will store mine off the Mavic, same as I do any other lipo. You can get some lipo safe bags for the batteries that should fit in the side pouches on the carry bag.

Not really, if you keep a spring compressed it will gradually lose it's desire to uncompress (making good contact) over time..
It isn't like a car spring, it's just a bit of bent wire ;)
Car springs are bits of bent wire, albeit thicker, it's the composition of the steel that's important, and whether it's ever stretched beyond it's elastic limit..o_O
I have to agree that you're in trouble if the battery swells, but does that not happen almost always when charging, overheated, or discharged too fast? It's a rare event, although it does happen, I know of one laptop LiPo bursting and catching fire. Having said that I have a LiPo bag for charging and airline transport. I reckon do your own thing, just don't abuse them..Thumbswayup

It's still *probably* better not to leave it in the machine.
For a number of reasons.
- but unlikely to cause an issue especially for shorter periods (few days)

Thought about keeping my batteries off however, reality set in.... If any of you are like me, which I'm sure most are, the Mavic Batteries, or even my P3P batteries, are kept in the same bag, box, or travel case. So for me and my way off thinking, if the battery was to have a fault and burn up or explode, it's already in the same container and will damage everything else in there..... So, when I'm at home and my birds are not packed up for travel or a job, I keep the batteries off. When packed up, there is always a battery in the bird to save on packing space.... Just my $.02.

Sent from my SM-G935V using MavicPilots mobile app

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair