DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you use a spare phone for the DJI Mavic Mini controller

David Smith

Reactions
Does anyone else think that the continuous install and uninstall of their phone in the Mavic Mini controller will eventually end in something failing? Most probably the swingy out arms that hold the phone?
Even though they do appear quite robust. So my question to you all out there is... Does anyone use another Phone/Device that can actually stay in the controller? I suppose one of the reasons I need to ask is that my phone is always inside its foldable leather case because I don't want it to get damaged or dusty at work.
And it's a blinking nuisance when the phone rings when the drone is flying. I would appreciate your thoughts. And whether you have actually done that.
Awaiting your reply.
Dave in Suffolk UK.

i have a 6th gen ipad thats for my drones it only has WIFI and works great,i do not keep the mount in the controller arms they are designed to be used, only put it in before days flying and then remove afterwards so not an issue you should really have your phone in aircraft mode during flight

Reactions: Capt KO
I have 4 drones with each has its dedicated phones(older). So I can use my personal phone I use it without interruption or using my data.

Does anyone else think that the continuous install and uninstall of their phone in the Mavic Mini controller will eventually end in something failing? Most probably the swingy out arms that hold the phone?
Even though they do appear quite robust. So my question to you all out there is... Does anyone use another Phone/Device that can actually stay in the controller? I suppose one of the reasons I need to ask is that my phone is always inside its foldable leather case because I don't want it to get damaged or dusty at work.
And it's a blinking nuisance when the phone rings when the drone is flying. I would appreciate your thoughts. And whether you have actually done that.
Awaiting your reply.
Dave in Suffolk UK.
I used a ipad mini 4 that is just dedicated to flying my DJI drones

I decided to get a dedicated Ipad (Mini 2) for flying. I very much like having the larger display/touch screen versus the phone. The Ipad Mini is relatively light and even with the mini, holder and controller I don't have any hand fatigue even after 20 ~ 30 minutes of flying.

Mini2 is a bit under powered from what I’ve read.

I haven't had any issues but I doing basic flying, video and photographs versus flight planning, mapping or something that might be more processing intensive.

I've been using my primary google pixel phone, without issues. 1 hour flown so far (total). $0.02

i printed this out and leave it in the controller 24x7 ...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 19.20.38.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 19.20.38.png
    889.9 KB · Views: 13
If you continue to use your phone, put it in Airplane mode, so it will not ring. It will also help you to get rid of another source of interference. I use an iPad Mini 4. As you will need a minimum of iOS 9

I have been using an old Samsung Galaxy S7 (no sim card). I have not been leaving it in the controller. I remove it after each flight so I can charge it and extract the flight log files.

I purchased an I phone 6S that is a dedicated unit for the Mavic Mini. My LG V20 does not cut it because it has to be fully charged to fly, or the controller reverses back to charge my phone. I always get the message, RC not connected.

I take my regular phone, a Note 9, out of my pocket and put it in the controller. Takes a few seconds. I don't put it in airplane mode or turn any radios off. And it works great! One less thing to carry :)

I decided to get a dedicated Ipad (Mini 2) for flying. I very much like having the larger display/touch screen versus the phone. The Ipad Mini is relatively light and even with the mini, holder and controller I don't have any hand fatigue even after 20 ~ 30 minutes of flying.
iuse ipad mini 2 for my mavic mini i need bigger screen to see better

Yes; I use an old Note 5 (android) that works perfectly. You can't leave it plugged in though or it will go into charging mode and drain the power from the controller.

I am eligible for an upgrade on my current phone (Samsung S9 note). So once I do the old phone will become the drone phone. This way I don't have to take the Otterbox Defender case off of it and back on, everytime.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser