DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you want to know the SoC (system on chip) the SC runs?

Mavic752198

Reactions
Just got one of these today.

Install the Amazon App Store. Then download the CPU-Z app.

Some interesting nuggets:
Rockchip RK3066 SoC @ 408 MHz - 1.42 GHz
6 Cores
GPU Mali-T860
Android version 7.1.2 (very old but most concerning is Android security patch level is ancient)
400 dpi Screen Density
4 GB RAM

Anyway, interesting stuff. Basically this is very cheap very low-end hardware. But hey if it‘s reliable and runs the GO 4 app smoothly then cant really complain about anything other than the price.

DJI’s profit margin on this thing must be huge.

I temporarily installed the Prime Video App and started playing an Expanse episode. Looked really good so I thought that was pretty neat.

That SoC, the Rockchip RK3066, had a release date of:
Announcement Date04/01/2012

Also note the SoC is 32 bit which means the GO 4 App that runs on it is 32 bit. A lot of ppl are upset that DJI didn’t release a 32 bit version of their DJI Fly app (Mavic Mini) to run on older 32 bit Android devices. Their reasoning was everything’s going 64 bit, sorry, buy a new device.

This leads me to believe this Gen 1 SC is not long for this world. Very old SoC, very old Android version and indications DJI is going all 64 bit app development.

That SoC, the Rockchip RK3066, had a release date of:
Announcement Date04/01/2012

Also note the SoC is 32 bit which means the GO 4 App that runs on it is 32 bit. A lot of ppl are upset that DJI didn’t release a 32 bit version of their DJI Fly app (Mavic Mini) to run on older 32 bit Android devices. Their reasoning was everything’s going 64 bit, sorry, buy a new device.

This leads me to believe this Gen 1 SC is not long for this world. Very old SoC, very old Android version and indications DJI is going all 64 bit app development.
Its a scary prospect, since the SC has an extreme price tag for something that isnt very future proof, especially with rumblings of an Occusync 3.0 (albeit, that is extreme speculation, not on my part... If its true, it better be backwards compatible w/ 2.0, or Im done with DJI - Might be already. Evo 2 is looking really good, esp with that boson 640 ;-)

Thank you for making the 32 bit spec apparant. That is truly a worrisome spec

Reactions: Greenflash
Just got one of these today.

Install the Amazon App Store. Then download the CPU-Z app.

Some interesting nuggets:
Rockchip RK3066 SoC @ 408 MHz - 1.42 GHz
6 Cores
GPU Mali-T860
Android version 7.1.2 (very old but most concerning is Android security patch level is ancient)
400 dpi Screen Density
4 GB RAM

Anyway, interesting stuff. Basically this is very cheap very low-end hardware. But hey if it‘s reliable and runs the GO 4 app smoothly then cant really complain about anything other than the price.

DJI’s profit margin on this thing must be huge.

I temporarily installed the Prime Video App and started playing an Expanse episode. Looked really good so I thought that was pretty neat.
That Rockchip SoC has a few variants that differ mainly with the clock speed and the number of cores. It's a very common chipset for OEM tablets. Performance will be tied to the clock speed and the amount of RAM installed. 4 GB should be enough to run DJI's apps. I work on a team that wrote software for a bespoke Android table using an 8 core version of that chip and a faster clock speed, the 3066 should be sufficient for what DJI needs to do. By SoC standards, it's fairly old. But when DJI started engineering the SC, it had to go with what was available and affordable at the time.