DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dodgy SD card ?

timdlF

Reactions
Hi. First post for me. I have a Magic Air 2 and its great. In it I have a 1028 GB sd card. I've been taking videos and photos all day. When I look at the card all of the videos and photos are great until late afternoon and from then on none of them will play on the iMac. The good files look like mini pictures when the file is viewed on the Mac but the ones that don't play just have a Quicktime file picture on them. Can anybody tell me why this might be ?
Thanks

Tim

Hi timdlF Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
Can’t help with Apple stuff but you want an SD card that is U3 it has a minimum write speed of 30MB/s.
V gives the video speed, V30 for up to 8K

Hi. First post for me. I have a Magic Air 2 and its great. In it I have a 1028 GB sd card. I've been taking videos and photos all day. When I look at the card all of the videos and photos are great until late afternoon and from then on none of them will play on the iMac. The good files look like mini pictures when the file is viewed on the Mac but the ones that don't play just have a Quicktime file picture on them. Can anybody tell me why this might be ?
Thanks

Tim
Guess there is a 1028 GB (1TB?) card..., but nothing above 128GB is really practical. All my cards are 64 GB.
Start with the manual for your drone.... sounds like you’re looking at previews.

OK thanks. The offending card is U3/V30 but it was a no-name brand and was only £30 for 1028GB which seemed very cheap. It was working fine for about 100GB of video but then just corrupted everything. I wiped it clean and tried again but it was still no good. I have put a Sandisc 128GB card in today and that works fine so it is definitely the card. The duff card is new through Amazon so hopefully I'll get my money back. I'll stick to the more expensive, lower volume, branded, quality cards in future. Thanks for the advice all. Looks like this forum will be a useful resource.

Tim

Yes, I saw that too. However, when I wiped the card completely it still didn't work. It had worked very well most of yesterday then just gave up. Very pleased with the MA 2. I'm still experimenting with the different video settings. I just need some decent weather !

Tim

Reactions: MA2 317
The quicktime logo is all you see in older macs for H265 video. What OS are you running on your Mac?

I'm running High Sierra on a 2 yr old iMac. As I say, it was all working fine and then just stopped recording properly half way through the day. The new Sandisc 128GB card works fine.

Tim

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
I'm running High Sierra on a 2 yr old iMac. As I say, it was all working fine and then just stopped recording properly half way through the day. The new Sandisc 128GB card works fine.

Tim
High Sierra will only show the Quicktime logo in your finder. It won't preview them. If you put it into an editing program you should be able to see it (although it will more than likely drop frames). I have a 10 year old Mac Pro that is limited to previewing H264 but not H265 videos. Once I drop it into Premiere Pro, I can view it. I also have a 2013 Mac Book Pro that runs Catalina OS. It will natively preview H265 files in the finder.
Edit: When you shoot 4K 60 footage, it will default to H265 until you manually change it in the menu of the Fly app.

As I mentioned, even with High Sierra, the card worked fine at first. You make a good point about the codec. I did fiddle with the settings during the days filming and its possible that I have enabled the H265 codec which might be why it isn't working. I do reckon that the advice re smaller cards is probably good advice.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Tim

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+