DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does a 107 Help Me?

maintenanceguy

Reactions
There's an airport near where I fly a lot. I have been getting authorization via kittyhawk when flying in restricted areas but in some areas, authorization is not available. The Kittyhawk app asks if I'm flying recreationally or under 107. This makes me think that 107 pilots must be able to get different authorization than recreational pilots or the app wouldn't bother to ask.

I have no interest in doing any commercial work so the only reason to do this would be to expand the locations where I could fly. Does having a 107 make this possible?

Reactions: Romulus Archibald
to me i think the 107 may end up hurting you as a recreational flyer. since you would need to reg each drone with its own FAA number, as well as keep detailed flight logs and pre flight checks and such

There's an airport near where I fly a lot. I have been getting authorization via kittyhawk when flying in restricted areas but in some areas, authorization is not available. The Kittyhawk app asks if I'm flying recreationally or under 107. This makes me think that 107 pilots must be able to get different authorization than recreational pilots or the app wouldn't bother to ask.

I have no interest in doing any commercial work so the only reason to do this would be to expand the locations where I could fly. Does having a 107 make this possible?
Without knowing the location you want to fly I can’t give you a 100% certain answer but yes, having a part 107 airman certificate allows you to request authorization in controlled airspace that exceeds the altitude zone on Kittyhawk including 0 ft zones where as a recreational pilot cannot even request authorization above the altitudes on the facilities map, which is what is on Kittyhawk.

You still have to ask for and be grated authorization though. You can do basically anything as a part 107 pilot if you put in the effort. In your particular if I understand it correctly is pretty easy. You can use Kittyhawk just like you have been but a human has to review and approve requests over the altitude zone limit. Depending on the airport and how big your ask is this can take hours or weeks.

to me i think the 107 may end up hurting you as a recreational flyer. since you would need to reg each drone with its own FAA number, as well as keep detailed flight logs and pre flight checks and such
Having a part 107 doesn’t hurt you as a recreational pilot. You can fly under recreational rules whenever you want to.

Having a part 107 doesn’t hurt you as a recreational pilot. You can fly under recreational rules whenever you want to.
As a 107 pilot you need to get a daytime waiver to fly at night where as a recreational pilot does not , so there is that i’m pretty sure

As a 107 pilot you need to get a daytime waiver to fly at night where as a recreational pilot does not , so there is that i’m pretty sure

Someone with a 107 can still choose to fly at night under the recreational rules without a waiver. (assuming the flight would otherwise qualify as recreational)

Haven’t found the part on flight log requirements, could you cite that please?

Reactions: dawgpilot
Haven’t found the part on flight log requirements, could you cite that please?

I'm pretty sure there is no hard requirement to keep logs as a Part 107 pilot. (it probably is a good practice however).

Without knowing the location you want to fly I can’t give you a 100% certain answer but yes, having a part 107 airman certificate allows you to request authorization in controlled airspace that exceeds the altitude zone on Kittyhawk including 0 ft zones where as a recreational pilot cannot even request authorization above the altitudes on the facilities map, which is what is on Kittyhawk.

You still have to ask for and be grated authorization though. You can do basically anything as a part 107 pilot if you put in the effort. In your particular if I understand it correctly is pretty easy. You can use Kittyhawk just like you have been but a human has to review and approve requests over the altitude zone limit. Depending on the airport and how big your ask is this can take hours or weeks.

To reiterate what Brett said and to also answer OPs question, yes, having a 107 does allow you to request authorization in areas where recreational flyers cannot.

P.S. I dont know how to "tag" members...if that makes any sense.

To reiterate what Brett said and to also answer OPs question, yes, having a 107 does allow you to request authorization in areas where recreational flyers cannot.

P.S. I dont know how to "tag" members...if that makes any sense.
Just type “@“ with the name. No space. Or quotations marks, obviously.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78