DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone have some really good 4K video in raw form?

Fort Pierce Pilot

Turning downwind and climbing
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I, like many others apparently, am having difficulty with stuttering 4k and 2.7k footage. I have read dozens of threads here and elsewhere. One common problem is the inability to determine if it's in playback or the recording of the original video. While there are many videos to look at I have found very little in raw form to use for testing a playback system. Can someone post a link to some known good 4K & 2.7K raw files (zip them) straight off an AC? This would help us all to see if our playback system is up to the task and eliminate it or verify it as the problem. Thanks in advance!

Here is a 4k raw dlogm file from a recent shoot if it helps you.

Slower computers have trouble keeping up to play 4K videos; and only the most powerful computers out there can edit them without freezing.

I don't know what editing program you're using, but with premier pro it's very easy to create proxy files to edit from and it's soooo much smoother and quicker. I have a pretty strong PC, albiet 2 years old now (64gb ram, Core i7, Nvidia 1080 graphics with 8gb vram, 2TB SSD), and it struggles to edit 4k footage, extremely choppy and laggy. Playback in a media player is usually fine but does tend to stutter here and there.

Reactions: wisco_pilot
Here is a 4k raw dlogm file from a recent shoot if it helps you.

Slower computers have trouble keeping up to play 4K videos; and only the most powerful computers out there can edit them without freezing.

I don't know what editing program you're using, but with premier pro it's very easy to create proxy files to edit from and it's soooo much smoother and quicker. I have a pretty strong PC, albiet 2 years old now (64gb ram, Core i7, Nvidia 1080 graphics with 8gb vram, 2TB SSD), and it struggles to edit 4k footage, extremely choppy and laggy. Playback in a media player is usually fine but does tend to stutter here and there.

That's what I need, but I can't see a file to download. Posting it as a link to a MP4 causes it to be downsized and played on another application. In order to download RAW it would have to be zipped and linked as a downloadable file. When I click on HERE IS, it plays it in a much lower resolution which would look OK on anything.

Last edited:
That's what I need, but I can't see a file to download. Posting it as a link to a MP4 causes it to be downsized and played on another application. In order to download RAW it would have to be zipped and linked as a downloadable file. When I click on HERE IS, it plays it in a much lower resolution which would look OK on anything.
Click the Download button

Reactions: OurAngryBadger
I, like many others apparently, am having difficulty with stuttering 4k and 2.7k footage. I have read dozens of threads here and elsewhere. One common problem is the inability to determine if it's in playback or the recording of the original video. While there are many videos to look at I have found very little in raw form to use for testing a playback system. Can someone post a link to some known good 4K & 2.7K raw files (zip them) straight off an AC? This would help us all to see if our playback system is up to the task and eliminate it or verify it as the problem. Thanks in advance!
I clicked on the "Here is" and was able to view the video with no stuttering at all. I have very fast iMAC with the highest amount of RAM and stuff purposely purchased to avoid this. My advise is to convert all of your imported files to proxy when you ingest files in Premiere Pro.

Boy do I feel stupid! Thanks Dale D., Brett8883, & Photogad for your help. I was able to download it and likely could have downloaded any I had seen on here. DOWNLOAD button - who would have thunk it! Now that I'm looking at video made on other ACs and looking more closely at my Mavic Mini files I realize 2.7K is stretching the limit of my system and 4k is beyond it. The good news is my MPP is likely fine. The bad news is I feel really dumb..........I'll get over it, THANKS to all for your help and patience! I like being able to pull hi-res pics out of the videos so 4K appeals. Premier Pro seems a bit pricey (although not s much as a really fast computer). Anything out there I can buy outright for under $100 to convert 4k to 1080P on my system?

Boy do I feel stupid! Thanks Dale D., Brett8883, & Photogad for your help. I was able to download it and likely could have downloaded any I had seen on here. DOWNLOAD button - who would have thunk it! Now that I'm looking at video made on other ACs and looking more closely at my Mavic Mini files I realize 2.7K is stretching the limit of my system and 4k is beyond it. The good news is my MPP is likely fine. The bad news is I feel really dumb..........I'll get over it, THANKS to all for your help and patience! I like being able to pull hi-res pics out of the videos so 4K appeals. Premier Pro seems a bit pricey (although not s much as a really fast computer). Anything out there I can buy outright for under $100 to convert 4k to 1080P on my system?
You're welcome!

I don't have a mac so I can't point you to any specific app, but it looks like there are a lot of video converters to choose from, I would search the app store for "video converter", there are probably at least a few free ones.

It’s not necessary that your computer can’t handle 4K playback it may just be it can’t handle 4K in the codec or compression ratio that comes straight from the drone.

Consumer computers are optimized to playback more compressed video files that you would get as like a downloaded movie or something. Videos that have already been edited are outputted as highly compressed files where the movie studio or video distributor has done most of the computing for you up front so your computer doesn’t need to do it.

Now people that edit videos want the least possible compression from the camera because they will edit it and then compress it themselves later when they distribute it. This allows for higher quality video output. So the files coming from the drone are in a less compressed state for this reason. The compression amount of the video can be measured by the bit rate of the video and the resolution. By lowering the bit rate of the video but not the resolution you can maintain the resolution and visual quality while making the size of the video smaller and easier for your computer to play.

If you do not edit your video or you do edit but your computer can’t handle it all you need to do is re-encode the video at lower bit rate. By doing this you will make it easier for your video to play without reducing the video quality in any noticeable way.

There is a free and open source program called Handbrake which offers industry leading video encoding.

HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder

It can also be used to convert higher resolution video to a lower resolution but you may not need to do that.

Just choose one of the preset options and let it go to town. Depending on your computer‘s power this could take a large amount of time but you can cue up several videos and let it run over night.

If you have a Mac iMovie is an excellent video editing and encoding program that is free and is likely already installed on your computer. If not get it from the App Store.

If you do have a Mac you don’t even need Handbrake. You can right click on a video and go down to “encode video” and you will be given the options to reencode to the same or lower resolution. Macs don’t seem to like DJI’s method of compression(encoding/codec) so this may be your issue one the first place. Simply re-encoding Apples preferred 4K codec may solve your issues without need to compress it at all.

It’s not necessary that your computer can’t handle 4K playback it may just be it can’t handle 4K in the codec or compression ratio that comes straight from the drone.

Consumer computers are optimized to playback more compressed video files that you would get as like a downloaded movie or something. Videos that have already been edited are outputted as highly compressed files where the movie studio or video distributor has done most of the computing for you up front so your computer doesn’t need to do it.

Now people that edit videos want the least possible compression from the camera because they will edit it and then compress it themselves later when they distribute it. This allows for higher quality video output. So the files coming from the drone are in a less compressed state for this reason. The compression amount of the video can be measured by the bit rate of the video and the resolution. By lowering the bit rate of the video but not the resolution you can maintain the resolution and visual quality while making the size of the video smaller and easier for your computer to play.

If you do not edit your video or you do edit but your computer can’t handle it all you need to do is re-encode the video at lower bit rate. By doing this you will make it easier for your video to play without reducing the video quality in any noticeable way.

There is a free and open source program called Handbrake which offers industry leading video encoding.

HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder

It can also be used to convert higher resolution video to a lower resolution but you may not need to do that.

Just choose one of the preset options and let it go to town. Depending on your computer‘s power this could take a large amount of time but you can cue up several videos and let it run over night.
I downloaded and looked at HandBrake. The presets appear to convert to 1080P or less. On first inspection I could not find an option to reduce bit rate but keep 4 k resolution. I'm finding I know so little about all this. I'm sure it's there. If you have an easy process I'd appreciate it, if not, I'll study more and perhaps in the documentation or on other forums I'll get some tips. Thanks!

I downloaded and looked at HandBrake. The presets appear to convert to 1080P or less. On first inspection I could not find an option to reduce bit rate but keep 4 k resolution. I'm finding I know so little about all this. I'm sure it's there. If you have an easy process I'd appreciate it, if not, I'll study more and perhaps in the documentation or on other forums I'll get some tips. Thanks!
You might have to go into the dimensions settings and manually change the resolution to use source settings. I thought there were 4k presets Possibly in the “devices” tab of the presets but it’s possible I made those presets myself a long time ago.

I know Handbrake can be a little intimidating at first but most of the settings need never be changed from the presets.

I am a lifelong DSLR photographer, so when I began doing timelapse photography, I was virtually forced to learn video editing. This has certainly changed my life. You simply cannot do timelapse photography without wanting to share it, and the only way to share it is through video. I soon graduated to drone video as well, and now, my passion is to combine multi-media (stills from DSLR), timelapse sequences, and drone video, into a small movie. I am now into my 3rd year of video education, and I eagerly look forward to making movies. For a drone owner newly starting out, I imagine the simplest video editing will do, but eventually, you will want to be able to do more. That is why I persisted and finally learned Adobe Premiere Pro. And yes, it is expensive. I presently enjoy one of Adobe's 40% discounts for the complete Adobe suite (Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Pro , and After Effects). Many on this forum recommend the free version of DaVinci Resolve 16 from Black Magic, and both programs certainly are up to the ability to produce 4K (and even 8K) video . The learning curve is steep, but worth it. I used every source available, including You Tube videos, Creative Live courses (Abba Shapiro) , and finally, a community college class and even a personal teacher. I am still learning but now know enough to produce work that pleases my friends and for forums such as Mavic Pilots, LRTimelapse Forum, etc. Without photography, drones, editing, and tennis, this is one old guy who is having a lot of fun.

Reactions: AxelR
The simplest solution to your problem, currently, is to shoot in HD, not 4k. HD is 1920x1080, easy to edit on just about any PC (unless it is ancient) and your 4k TV will upscale it if requited. So unless you have a 4k TV and it can accept your 4k files, shoot in HD, you will barely notice the difference.

Reactions: wisco_pilot

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom