DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does GPS limit Mavic's top speed when flying downwind?

Xtreme Drone Pilot

Reactions
Reading about max pitch angle and corresponding max speed, I started to wonder if the GPS has any effect on how fast Mavic is able to fly downwind. Obviously, when there's wind and Mavic is hovering in place, it is actually flying horizontally against the wind, i.e. its airspeed is equal to windspeed. It's GPS that is forcing Mavic to fly at some airspeed while there's no input on the sticks. Now, imagine you're flying downwind in some layer with 60mph wind, and Mavic's own max airspeed is 40mph. Will it have 100mph groundspeed? Or GPS will intervene and cap the groundspeed at some lower value? Mavic is different from "passive" aircraft which simply move relative to the airmass at some airspeed determined by their power and aerodynamic configuration, and their resultant groundspeed is a simple vector sum of airspeed and windspeed. But if Mavic is trying to compensate autonomously, is it too smart for its own good?

Definitely GPS speed restricted.
Flying in 20mph winds I maxed out at 40mph ground speed with a tail wind.

Makes me wonder why we need to go into sport mode to overcome wind. Motor torque must be limited as well as ground speed in each mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Yes, use ATTI mode if you want maximum speed. I've done 80mph with mine.

Yes, use ATTI mode if you want maximum speed. I've done 80mph with mine.
Tried to get close to your speed using Sport++, but not even close! Well, technically can, but I didn't dare :)

To the OP: No, it's not GPS that limit the speed. But please don't ask me what, as it will break forum rules and I don't want to do that.

Edit: Elsewhere in the forum I immediately get slapped by the mod if I mention anything about parameters. How come in this section I see that people freely talk about it?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr James