DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does ipad mini 5 with the Dji fly app require cellular option?

Andy BG

Reactions
Hi. I bought a Dji Air 2S and have since discovered that I need an updated tablet in order to fly it. I'm thinking about the Apple iPad mini 5 (second-hand).
What I need to know is whether I will be OK with the WiFi version, or whether I'll need to splash out on the cellular version.
If I would only need the internet for downloading maps, I can use my old smartphone as a "WiFi hot-spot", but will I miss out on any other features?
Also, will the 64GB version be plenty enough, or will I need to sell one of my kidneys?

You will be fine with the WiFi version using your smartphone as a hotspot. Also, the 64GB version is just right for what you need.

You will be fine with the WiFi version using your smartphone as a hotspot. Also, the 64GB version is just right for what you need.
You also don't need an active internet connection/hotspot in order to use the iPad. I use an Air2s with a wifi iPad mini 5 (just moved to 6) just fine.

Reactions: Jiminy Cricket
I currently fly with a Mini 5 in my business. As DJI Fly now places more strain on the processor, my Mini 4 would no longer work without freezing, so I went to the 5. To future proof this from occurring once again, I just ordered a Mini 6.

Reactions: Jiminy Cricket
Hi. I bought a Dji Air 2S and have since discovered that I need an updated tablet in order to fly it. I'm thinking about the Apple iPad mini 5 (second-hand).
What I need to know is whether I will be OK with the WiFi version, or whether I'll need to splash out on the cellular version.
If I would only need the internet for downloading maps, I can use my old smartphone as a "WiFi hot-spot", but will I miss out on any other features?
Also, will the 64GB version be plenty enough, or will I need to sell one of my kidneys?
Don't even need the phone for hotspot. Just do an update off your home / other wi-fi before you leave the house and fly.

My Lenovo M10 is wi-fi only and works great. Also under $200. So far, DJI's massive updates to FlyApp have worked with few issues other than getting a bit slower on every massive update.

You can also install an older version of FlyApp as well. Several posts on what phones / tablets work and places to find an older version of Fly if you don't need all the new stuff that seems to be mostly bloatware.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada