DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does ipad mini 5 with the Dji fly app require cellular option?

Andy BG

Reactions
Hi. I bought a Dji Air 2S and have since discovered that I need an updated tablet in order to fly it. I'm thinking about the Apple iPad mini 5 (second-hand).
What I need to know is whether I will be OK with the WiFi version, or whether I'll need to splash out on the cellular version.
If I would only need the internet for downloading maps, I can use my old smartphone as a "WiFi hot-spot", but will I miss out on any other features?
Also, will the 64GB version be plenty enough, or will I need to sell one of my kidneys?

You will be fine with the WiFi version using your smartphone as a hotspot. Also, the 64GB version is just right for what you need.

You will be fine with the WiFi version using your smartphone as a hotspot. Also, the 64GB version is just right for what you need.
You also don't need an active internet connection/hotspot in order to use the iPad. I use an Air2s with a wifi iPad mini 5 (just moved to 6) just fine.

Reactions: Jiminy Cricket
I currently fly with a Mini 5 in my business. As DJI Fly now places more strain on the processor, my Mini 4 would no longer work without freezing, so I went to the 5. To future proof this from occurring once again, I just ordered a Mini 6.

Reactions: Jiminy Cricket
Hi. I bought a Dji Air 2S and have since discovered that I need an updated tablet in order to fly it. I'm thinking about the Apple iPad mini 5 (second-hand).
What I need to know is whether I will be OK with the WiFi version, or whether I'll need to splash out on the cellular version.
If I would only need the internet for downloading maps, I can use my old smartphone as a "WiFi hot-spot", but will I miss out on any other features?
Also, will the 64GB version be plenty enough, or will I need to sell one of my kidneys?
Don't even need the phone for hotspot. Just do an update off your home / other wi-fi before you leave the house and fly.

My Lenovo M10 is wi-fi only and works great. Also under $200. So far, DJI's massive updates to FlyApp have worked with few issues other than getting a bit slower on every massive update.

You can also install an older version of FlyApp as well. Several posts on what phones / tablets work and places to find an older version of Fly if you don't need all the new stuff that seems to be mostly bloatware.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM