DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Apple iPad Mini 4th Generation 7.9 Inch Tablet

Peeta Howard

Reactions
New question if I may. I use my mobile phone at present as the screen, but I find trying to see detail is very difficult. I am thinking of getting an Apple iPad Mini 4th Generation 7.9 Inch Tablet to make things a little easier. Problem is I don't know whether this is compatable with the DJI fly app. Is anyone out there who already uses this model. I ask this because the ipad I have at the moment is rather old and comes up with the message " Cannot download App ". I don't want to buy the Apple iPad Mini 4th Generation 7.9 Inch Tablet only to find it wont work either.

New question if I may. I use my mobile phone at present as the screen, but I find trying to see detail is very difficult. I am thinking of getting an Apple iPad Mini 4th Generation 7.9 Inch Tablet to make things a little easier. Problem is I don't know whether this is compatable with the DJI fly app. Is anyone out there who already uses this model. I ask this because the ipad I have at the moment is rather old and comes up with the message " Cannot download App ". I don't want to buy the Apple iPad Mini 4th Generation 7.9 Inch Tablet only to find it wont work either.
I own a Ipad Mini 4 and the last few updates to the fly app have made it more difficult for the processor. I would recommend the Mini 6 or above to eliminate any issues with the app. I am running the latest IOS 17 on the Mini 6 and it works flawlessly.

I was a mini 4 user as well and what Drone Master posted above is true.

Same thing happened to me.

I would receive CPU overload messages while flying with the FLY app.

The mini 4 worked great in 2017 with the Go4 app when I flew the SPARK, but the FLY app is power hungry.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
The iPad Mini 4 does not work - I tried it!

I am using an iPad Mini 5 with Fly on a couple drones. It is just adequate to the need. I occasionally receive the “Processor Overloaded” message, and remind myself to close *all* apps and restart the iPad before flying.

Fortunately that’s not my only display/controller, I have choices. But, the size of the iPad Mini is just right for a lot of flying. Not too big, not too small… I use a simple and inexpensive clip to hold it in:
If I were setting up now, I’d certainly buy the Mini 6. The 5 is right at the edge of what it needs to do.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I have written numerous times on this forum that the mini 4’s processor is incapable of supporting the newer DJI Fly revisions without freeze-ups. A few years back, the Mini 4 offered an acceptable platform, but the evolution of DJI Fly has become too processor intensive for the older platforms. We moved to the Mini 6, snd so far, the A15 Bionic CPU, works flawlessly. However, the screens limitation of 500 Nits presents challenges in bright sun.

Same here, mini 4 with Go4 and mini 5 with Go4 and FLY works just fine. Both available at reasonable price now. Only the original FLY app worked with mini 4, since updates cpu overload.

Thank you all for your input. It would seem impracticable for me now to invest in a Mini 4th Gen. I will simply have to save a little longer and get an updated version. Having said that, are there any Andriod type 8" ish screens that can be recommended which are not so expensive as the ipad items ?

this is where i get my stuff,all refurbished…got ipad pro two years ago for few hundred bucks,got ipad mini 5 wifi+cell few weeks ago for a 250bucks(tested with mini3pro and fimix8pro,no issues) and week ago i got myself samsung s22 ultra phone for 550bucks(saved 200-300$),,,,,phone came in perfect condition where ipads had some scratches in back but perfect screens….check it out

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne