DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does MA2 have a zoom feature

justinca2013

Reactions
Hey guys I appreciate anybody taking the time to read this I was just going through some of the details of the Mavic air 2 and was about to pull the trigger on getting one but I was curious to know if it had a zoom feature at all I have mavic 2 zoom and love that about it. Just curious have saw some info that leads both ways but no definite answer.

Reactions: BigWillie
Hey guys I appreciate anybody taking the time to read this I was just going through some of the details of the Mavic air 2 and was about to pull the trigger on getting one but I was curious to know if it had a zoom feature at all I have mavic 2 zoom and love that about it. Just curious have saw some info that leads both ways but no definite answer.
It depends what type of zoom you are referring to. If you want true optical zoom, then no it does NOT. The M2Z has optical zoom and is the only consumer line DJI drone to have that. DJI has implemented digital zoom with some models but that is done in firmware and is not the same thing. You can just as well do a digital zoom in post if that's what you want.

And I believe the digital zoom feature is only available in video mode on the MA2.
That is correct. Is not available for pictures as today. (Maybe a firmware update in the feature change that)
Also when in video mode you need to select the 4K Zoom option for 2X zoom or 1080P for a 4X zoom.

I really like the zoom and is very functional since the resolution is very good but I am sure the M2Z will be better since is zooming by optics not digital.

But for the Price of the MA2, you can not ask for more.

It depends what type of zoom you are referring to. If you want true optical zoom, then no it does NOT. The M2Z has optical zoom and is the only consumer line DJI drone to have that. DJI has implemented digital zoom with some models but that is done in firmware and is not the same thing. You can just as well do a digital zoom in post if that's what you want.
It is true that it is a digital zoom and not an Optical Zoom, however, it is not necessarily true that you can do the same thing in post. Remember, the Air 2 actually has an 8k sensor, so you can zoom 4k 2 times and not have any loss -- unlike in post.

Similar to the 4k zoom, zooming in 1080p on the drone, it is lossless, but zooming a 1080p video in post 4 times can be...yucky. Of course, if you want a 1080p video zommed in, just take a 4k video and zoom in post to end up with 1080p. So, the real advantage to the drone's digital zoom over post is keeping a 4k video 4k at up to two times zoom. At other resolutions and zoom levels, post and on-drone zoom should be pretty equal as long as you start with a 4k file for post processing (which means there is also a tiny advantage of doing it on drone, because you have a smaller file to deal with at the start -- such as having a 1080p file already zoomed in 4x versus getting a 4k file and then zooming it down to 1080p).

Reactions: Ian in London
I haven't tried any picture modes....yet. But the Zoom function on the MA2 does work. Granted it is a digital zoom but it does look really cool and to be honest, it is way better than other digital zooms I have seen. Not sure how they accomplish it but it is nice when you want to see something up close. Granted I have only had my MA2 for a week but loving it and trying everything I can with it!

Reactions: Rchawks
No, not just as well in post, if you use your drone for inspections. The digital zoom, of up to 4x, is a fantastic feature if you want to obtain some closer views of areas without having to put your drone at risk of collision. I use my Air 2 drone for roof inspections and to capture vertically down topographical images for surveying work and the capability to zoom is brilliant. You can see exactly what you want, live on site. And the Air 2 is very stable. Plus the video zoom is clear, if you just want to add some variety while actually filming a clip, maybe to email off your phone or tablet.

It is a little disappointing that the A2 doesn't have zoom for pics. I learned with my Spark , just video everything then you can take a screen shot of the exact frame you want.

Reactions: MA2 317
That is correct. Is not available for pictures as today. (Maybe a firmware update in the feature change that)
Also when in video mode you need to select the 4K Zoom option for 2X zoom or 1080P for a 4X zoom.

I really like the zoom and is very functional since the resolution is very good but I am sure the M2Z will be better since is zooming by optics not digital.

But for the Price of the MA2, you can not ask for more.
Good morning. I’m new tonthenAir2 and I can’t seem to find my camera setting to change from 4K, 1080 etc. Help

Good morning. I’m new tonthenAir2 and I can’t seem to find my camera setting to change from 4K, 1080 etc. Help

It's at the bottom right of the screen now after an update a while back.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143