DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does point of interest reset the home point to the point of interest of a/the circle.

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103366

I just did a M2P point of interest via the C1 button on the controller, around/over some trees.
A little later, near enough OVER the take off point, I pressed the RTH button expecting it to come down. NNNNOOOOO, it starts flying off to somewhere, panic....over trees, the screen on the display had gone to no telemetry or buttons. With this on top of the not having much time to play with, (not much height to lose} and I didn't think to press the halt/home button on the controller.

How do you get out of that no telemetry and no buttons mode? I don't know what I did to trigger it.
I used the phone's back button and switched flight mode and can't remember what else but I got the buttons etc. back. But there has to be a way to do it properly,

As I still had battery to play with I sent it out and up and then pressed RTH, it ended up over the Point of interest centre......

Something to bear in mind perhaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did a M2P point of interest via the C1 button on the controller, around/over some trees.
A little later, near enough OVER the take off point, I pressed the RTH button expecting it to come down. NNNNOOOOO, it starts flying off to somewhere, panic....over trees, the screen on the display had gone to no telemetry or buttons.
As usual, what was actually going on is going to be seen by investigating the flight data.
With this on top of the not having much time to play with, (not much height to lose} and I didn't think to press the halt/home button on the controller.
Flicking the flight mode switch out of P-GPS and back is the simple, quick way to cancel any automated flight mode including RTH.
How do you get out of that no telemetry and no buttons mode?
Try swiping across the screen to get into/out of full-screen mode.

Does point of interest reset the home point to the point of interest of a/the circle.

Something to bear in mind perhaps.
No .. it would be pretty stupid for DJI designers to program the drone that way (and they aren't that stupid).
To find out what was really happening .... flight data.

Yep, just found the screen thing, swipe up or down, which also explains how I triggered it.
Re logs. ok thanks I will look.

Bizarre this, the logs show homepoint set at 4.7secs after .txt log start, 9 satellites, which would have been during the climb.
I have to go up to around 17.5m before I can move more than 5m horizontally (trees and the house) but the Phantomhelp's map shows the take off point to be perhaps 5 to 10 m into the trees and that location is physically impossible to fly from, aside from that it's in a neighbours garden and I don't fly from there full stop.
Everything else is normal
Since this incident I have flown 2 or 3 test flights, circles and RTH's, and RTH looked to be inch perfect.
A GPS glitch perhaps and pure coincidence it corresponded to the approximate centre of the circle.

Last edited by a moderator:
A question on this: " I pressed the RTH button expecting it to come down."

You're hip to "RTH Height", yes? That means that in most circumstances, it will ascend to that height first before travelling to the HP.

Also, Meta mentions you could change flight mode switch to cancel RTH. But I think also just pressing the RTH button again will cancel RTH (possibly depending on the controller, but I believe that's the case with the standard),

Chris

A question on this: " I pressed the RTH button expecting it to come down."

You're hip to "RTH Height", yes? That means that in most circumstances, it will ascend to that height first before travelling to the HP.

Also, Meta mentions you could change flight mode switch to cancel RTH. But I think also just pressing the RTH button again will cancel RTH (possibly depending on the controller, but I believe that's the case with the standard),

Chris
Thanks, yep but the drone was almost directly over the take off point, (which should have been the HP too) and I was expecting the drone to come staight down.

Thanks, yep but the drone was almost directly over the take off point, (which should have been the HP too) and I was expecting the drone to come staight down.
And it should have. Anytime the aircraft is within about 60 foot of homepoint, it will just autoland, there is no rise to RTH height. Something was wonky on the flight you mentioned with home position.

And it should have. Anytime the aircraft is within about 60 foot of homepoint, it will just autoland, there is no rise to RTH height. Something was wonky on the flight you mentioned with home position.
Wonky: if the HP was reset to a different location, like the POI center, this would happen.

Chris

As mentioned, having looked at the .txt flight log, right from the outset the homepoint or the 'reported' position seems to have been wrong. I literally could not take off from the indicated point. It would have been straight up into the underside of a dense fir.
I think it is this that made it appear that the centre of the circle was set to the homepoint. I have used the same actual launch point a circle centre twice since Meta4's post and the drone returned to within inches of the launch point.
I think the next thing to do is actually change the homepoint during a flight and see what that produces in the txt flight log.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada