DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does reflective tape actually deter birds?

Referring to this post i got attached by a bird at 300 feet. I would like a definitive answer before I ruin my mavic pro's "aesthetics"

No it does not. Been tried for years (in other arenas) with no success. There will be lots of anecdotal accounts ("It worked for me in X situation") and lots of enterprises willing to sell you the stuff but they've been proven scientifically as ineffective.

It may slightly increase bird "awareness" of your drone (being able to detect it and avoid it) but it will not "scare" birds away. More effective and practical would simply be to utilize one of the mini Strobon Cree lights. (STROBON Standalone - Flytron)

However, there's no need to freak out about birds and try to scare them away from your drone (despite what everyone on this and other forums says). They will generally try to avoid you (they don't like colliding with things in the air, as any pilot would) and if you try to avoid them, you'll be fine.

Reactions: DroneJI
No it does not. Been tried for years (in other arenas) with no success. There will be lots of anecdotal accounts ("It worked for me in X situation") and lots of enterprises willing to sell you the stuff but they've been proven scientifically as ineffective.

It may slightly increase bird "awareness" of your drone (being able to detect it and avoid it) but it will not "scare" birds away. More effective and practical would simply be to utilize one of the mini Strobon Cree lights. (STROBON Standalone - Flytron)

However, there's no need to freak out about birds and try to scare them away from your drone (despite what everyone on this and other forums says). They will generally try to avoid you (they don't like colliding with things in the air, as any pilot would) and if you try to avoid them, you'll be fine.

I would have to disagree with you about birds ignoring you. I have had 2 bird strikes in the Tonto National Forest, there has been a problem with Hawks and Eagles attacking RC planes and quads so much so that the park rangers have posted a sign showing the area in the National Forest that they nest/hunt. Someone just posted a video the other day after being attacked by a bird. I now just do not fly when I see birds of prey. After loosing two Bebop 2's, I will usually just stay at a spot for a little while having a snack to see if there are any birds of prey around. 95% of the time I have no problems with birds but it is a problem.

I would have to disagree with you about birds ignoring you. I have had 2 bird strikes in the Tonto National Forest, there has been a problem with Hawks and Eagles attacking RC planes and quads so much so that the park rangers have posted a sign showing the area in the National Forest that they nest/hunt. Someone just posted a video the other day after being attacked by a bird. I now just do not fly when I see birds of prey. After loosing two Bebop 2's, I will usually just stay at a spot for a little while having a snack to see if there are any birds of prey around. 95% of the time I have no problems with birds but it is a problem.
Well, you are in a national forest....so that's to be anticipated. I learned this just two weeks ago. I was less than 200 feet up and watched a hawk come from know where obliterate my drone! Absolutely ridiculous.

Sure, birds, along with all wildlife, do have the right to defend their territory, but they don't have a right to randomly take out my drone when it's not a threat to them. We don't know where they are, but the question is, HOW CAN WE DETER BIRDS FROM ATTACKING OUR DRONES? Mine was taken out by a hawk out of nowhere just two weeks ago. I had no idea I was in its territory within 2 minutes of the flight. My drone cost several thousand dollars.

Frankly, I could care less about the birds and more about my drone. I'm not doing anything wrong.

Let's stick to solutions that work instead of saying, "respect their environment." Technically the FAA owns the sky, not the birds. When I'm flying legally, I'd really like it if some random bird suddenly did NOT decide to destroy my drone.

Let's stick to solutions that work
There are no "solutions that work".
If a fast and powerful raptor determines that your drone is a threat or a potential prey item, nothing you do would make any difference to it.

Reactions: kidroc
Sure, birds, along with all wildlife, do have the right to defend their territory, but they don't have a right to randomly take out my drone when it's not a threat to them.

[...]

Technically the FAA owns the sky, not the birds. When I'm flying legally, I'd really like it if some random bird suddenly did NOT decide to destroy my drone.
I think you'll find that the FAA does not "own" the sky. It manages human operations within US airspace.
It has no jurisdiction (and neither do you) over the birds directly. 🤣

Sure, anything we can do to reduce the chances of a bad interaction would be good.
I have a strobe on mine, and I try to stay out of their way.