DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Sport Mode substantially increase risk of "catastropohic failure"

swb_mct

Reactions
(Thanks for all the help for a new owner)
There are some signs that Sport Mode adds stress to the Mavic Pro system.
  1. In Sport Mode Full Ascent + Full Speed for more than about 5 seconds, causes a "Battery Overload" alert. When I ordered 2 spare batteries from Amazon, I didn't realized they were aftermarket until I received them. They perform as well as OEM, but maybe they could be the weak link under high loads. I get the Battery Overload alert with OEM and Aftermarket batteries.

2. In Sport Mode, the remote control fan starts up after about a minute. It never does this in normal mode unless its sitting on my kitchen counter for several minutes. I suppose this is caused by more GPS, Video and Logging data being processed.

3. When the Mavic Pro is going 40mph it sounds like its really working. It sounds something like a partially muffled fuel-powered model plane. Just like driving my car at twice interstate speed limits I get the sensation that something might break. (only at sanctioned track events with long straight-aways.)
Sport Mode gives the visual sensation of awesome speed but I worry about a system failure because I have nothing but trees and lakes everywhere I fly. There is little chance of recovery if something happens.

I assume this question can only be answered by experience. Anybody ?

Last edited:
Reactions: joejaxvic123
  1. In Sport Mode Full Ascent + Full Speed for more than about 5 seconds, causes a "Battery Overload" alert. When I ordered 2 spare batteries from Amazon, I didn't realized they were aftermarket until I received them. They perform as well as OEM, but maybe they could be the weak link under high loads. I get the Battery Overload alert with OEM and Aftermarket batteries.

2. In Sport Mode, the remote control fan starts up after about a minute. It never does this in normal mode unless its sitting on my kitchen counter for several minutes. I suppose this is caused by more GPS, Video and Logging data being processed.

3. When the Mavic Pro is going 40mph it sounds like its really working. It sounds something like a partially muffled fuel-powered model plane. Just like driving my car at twice interstate speed limits I get the sensation that something might break. (only at sanctioned track events with a long straight-aways.)
Sport Mode gives the visual sensation of awesome speed but I worry about a system failure because I have nothing but trees and lakes everywhere I fly. There is little chance of recovery if something happens.

I too fly in an area of challenging terrain. Thick forests, steep canyons and variable wind conditions, both terrain and altitude dominated. Finding my Mavic should it go down would be nigh on impossible until I get a separate radio locator, and even then the conditions are such that it could be irretrievable.

-After 5 months of flying, I have yet to fly in Sport Mode. Someday when I get out onto a wide flat open area where I can experiment with Sport Mode I will, I also fly out over the ocean and it might become necessary someday to kick it in high gear to counter erratic offshore winds.
Following your recent commentary it appears you may have a tendency to push things to the limit (altitude, speed, equipment, etc) and just as a friendly bit of advice suggest you take advantage of the other marvels of the Mavic and slow down a bit in order to gain more experience. With the flying environment you describe there must be an enviable amount of countryside to get to know.

Reactions: swb_mct
The biggest risk of failure is pilot failure
That is certainly true when flying lower than the highest trees in the vicinity . . and if you don't stay close to home when you are downwind. Near my home I have to land where there are trees. The first day I got tangle up in a tree . . it was taller than it looked. The Mavic fell 60 feet, but landed in two feet of soft snow. Had to replace 1 cracked prop.

3. When the Mavic Pro is going 40mph it sounds like its really working. It sounds something like a partially muffled fuel-powered model plane. Just like driving my car at twice interstate speed limits I get the sensation that something might break. (only at sanctioned track events with long straight-aways.)

While I'm sure it does put more stress on the parts, I don't think Sport mode inherently induces failure. I live at 8,000' in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains with lots of varied terrain and wind conditions and like to go out for long distance flights exploring the area. It just so happens that the best "distance per battery" is achieved in Sport so that is the mode I end up doingmost of my flying in.
All in all, I have between 400 and 450 miles on my Mavic with a substantial part of that being in long distance Sport mode flights and have seen no failures or indications of failure. Just my two cents.-CF

Last edited:
I practice in Sport Mode in a very tight area on my property. I stay at low level (below tree line) in a defined space. I have trees on two sides, the house on a third and an open area crossed by a power line. I started out flying in this tight space with my little cheapie drones and with my Mavic I started out practicing there in regular mode and then when I was comfortable with the speed moved up to sport mode. I do it in the tight defined area to test limits, to get familiar with breaking speeds, acceleration, etc. so that when I move out into unfamiliar areas and need to fly in sport mode I am comfortable and know what the limits are. Flying in Sport Mode your reaction times need to be quicker so practicing in that familiar tight space lets you hone those reaction times. I have only had one accident in Sport Mode in the 13 months that I have had my Mavic and that one was completely pilot error, when I didn't judge the drop rate in sport mode while going from a dead stop to full speed at very low altitude (less than 4'). I flew into some tall grass so luckily I just came away with some minor prop damage.

I probably don't have anywhere near the experience of most people, but I have experimented a lot with sport mode and haven't experienced any battery alerts or with anything noticeably different. Most of my flying is over salt water and in pretty warm or even hot weather and if it were to go down, it would likely mark its end, however that has not stopped me from experimenting with all of the intelligent flight modes as well as the sport mode. When I fly fast, I do try not to stop quickly or turn sharply as I don't want to put any additional stress on the hardware. I'll do wide banking turns instead and will slow down gradually. I don't fly with a gimbal cover or protector and have heard people say that they've noticed things running warmer with those attachments.

Before I came to the Mavic my love was flying 250mm racing quads. I have a "track" that I fly around our property at 3-4m AGL that I try every now and then with the Mavic. While it certainly isn't as snappy or fast as a racer, it does decently well and is fun when doing the low level turns and straightaways. All that to say that the Mavic can hold up to fast turns, accelerations, and braking. Really it is an amazing bird!

There are some signs that Sport Mode adds stress to the Mavic Pro system...
It does.
...1. In Sport Mode Full Ascent + Full Speed for more than about 5 seconds, causes a "Battery Overload" alert...
I have never got this message in sport mode. I was going to rail against getting non-OEM batteries but you state that it happens with them also. Perhaps posting your logs for the experts here to examine will help with this.
....2. In Sport Mode, the remote control fan starts up after about a minute...
Remote control fan?
...3. When the Mavic Pro is going 40mph it sounds like its really working...
It is working as hard as it can (without mods).
...Sport Mode gives the visual sensation of awesome speed but I worry about a system failure because I have nothing but trees and lakes everywhere I fly. There is little chance of recovery if something happens.
Perhaps the Mavic was not the right quad for you. There are others available that are made for speed, cost less, and are easier to repair.

You could add a separate GPS locator to help find it in the trees but if it goes in the drink its gone.

Sport mode takes the Mavic to it's max. It is adding stress and increases the possibility of failure but it was engineered to handle it. Like most things mechanical, the less you stress it the longer it lasts.

I did the exact same thing with the regard to batteries. Yes the after market will get angry if you are rough with thsticks other than that they do fine.
I only fly sport when I am high with no obstacles

I live at 8,000' in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains with lots of varied terrain and wind conditions and like to go out for long distance flights exploring the area. It just so happens that the best "distance per battery" is achieved in Sport so that is the mode I end up doingmost of my flying in.
I have wondered about the effect of altitude on the motor RPM. I wouldn't expect RPM to be a risk factor because the load on the motors wouldn't be changed to maintain lift thin air. But the air at 8000 feet has 74% the density that at sea level. I would guess that means your motor rpm is the inverse or 35% faster to do the same thing as at sea level. But then there is less wind resistance for any given speed so I wonder if you can fly faster or go further at high altitude than at low altitude.

I have wondered about the effect of altitude on the motor RPM. I wouldn't expect RPM to be a risk factor because the load on the motors wouldn't be changed to maintain lift thin air. But the air at 8000 feet has 74% the density that at sea level. I would guess that means your motor rpm is the inverse or 35% faster to do the same thing as at sea level. But then there is less wind resistance for any given speed so I wonder if you can fly faster or go further at high altitude than at low altitude.
I definetly have a lower battery life due to the lower air density. If I try really hard I can get 18 minutes, but around 15 is average.
Next time I fly I'll check the RPMs and we can compare them.

It is VERY VERY common to get battery overload warnings when going full throttle on both sticks. I have seen countless posts here about it. It's nothing to worry about. I used to let off the sticks when it did it, but I don't any longer. The warning goes away after a few seconds whether you let up or not. I'm a very aggressive flyer. I flew drones way before the mavic and I am very comfortable with the controls and dont worry about crashing it. It's like driving a car for me now. I don't even think about what I'm doing. I just do it.

As far as sports mode and stressing the aircraft, I can say I have done extensive testing there lol. Down at my local softball fields, I will fly low to the ground in sports mode, full throttle. I will let it get to one end then full reverse in the opposite direction. I probably put tons of stress on it, doing it over and over. Just having fun with it. I've seen no issues so far. I think the mavic is pretty tough, much tougher than the phantoms. I probably would have cracked a phantom doing that by now.

Remote control fan?
It is VERY VERY common to get battery overload warnings when going full throttle on both sticks. I have seen countless posts here about it. It's nothing to worry about. I used to let off the sticks when it did it, but I don't any longer. The warning goes away after a few seconds whether you let up or not. I'm a very aggressive flyer. I flew drones way before the mavic and I am very comfortable with the controls and dont worry about crashing it. It's like driving a car for me now. I don't even think about what I'm doing. I just do it.

As far as sports mode and stressing the aircraft, I can say I have done extensive testing there lol. Down at my local softball fields, I will fly low to the ground in sports mode, full throttle. I will let it get to one end then full reverse in the opposite direction. I probably put tons of stress on it, doing it over and over. Just having fun with it. I've seen no issues so far. I think the mavic is pretty tough, much tougher than the phantoms. I probably would have cracked a phantom doing that by now.

You answered both of my questions. Thanks.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerardomavic