DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does the gimbal only move the camera up and down?

Kyle76

Reactions
I know the gimbal stabilizes the image on three axes, but is it only capable of up and down movement on command? Does it pan at all?

It won't pan on command, only the tilt is controllable:

Gimbal
  • Mechanical Range
  • Tilt: -110° to 35°
    Roll: -35° to 35°
    Pan: -20° to 20°
  • Controllable Range
  • Tilt: -90° to 0° (default setting) -90° to +20° (extended)
  • Stabilization
  • 3-axis (tilt, roll, pan)
  • Max Control Speed (tilt)
  • 120°/s
  • Angular Vibration Range
  • ±0.01°

The Mavic Pro 2s have controllable pan and tilt, but the mIni only has controllable tilt.

Y

Do you mean pan by sliding your finger on the screen with M2 ?
pan with goggles no problem.
I don't have an MP2, and have never flown one so am not best qualified to comment. However, I understand that's how it's done: hold and drag on your mobile device's screen to pan. If you have the DJI goggles, these seemingly also allow panning control by tracking head movement.

Tilt can be controlled in the same way on the MM (hold and drag), but as said before, the MM doesn't allow for gimbal panning - you need to rotate the aircraft body to pan.

Since the gimbal apparently moves from -20° to +20° is controllable pan an update possibility?
Theoretically possible, but I doubt it would be included in a future update. +/-20deg isn't a really useful amount, unlike the +/- 75 or 80deg available on the larger Mavics.

I don't have an MP2, and have never flown one so am not best qualified to comment. However, I understand that's how it's done: hold and drag on your mobile device's screen to pan. If you have the DJI goggles, these seemingly also allow panning control by tracking head movement.

Tilt can be controlled in the same way on the MM (hold and drag), but as said before, the MM doesn't allow for gimbal panning - you need to rotate the aircraft body to pan.
I have a M2Z and goggles......thought I’d missed an important pan control update for a moment ?
It’s still got primitive drag your finger across the screen function ,without the goggles sadly ?

The pan appears to be implemented only for use by the flight control system to smooth movements by the drone being blown around by the wind. It does not appear to be available to the rc through the DJI api.

It may be possible with some of the third party software. Drone link certainly has the option send the commands to do it - whether the mini will accept those commands or not is another matter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60