DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does the latest DJI FPV firmware require connecting your mobile device to your goggles?

Dangerly

Reactions
After upgrading to the latest DJI FPV firmware released 7/25/2023 which now supports Remote ID requirements, I noticed I can no longer take off unless the DJI Goggles 2 are connected to the DJI Fly app on my mobile device. Is this a new requirement? I noticed I can disconnect my mobile device mid-flight and I'll see an RFID error message in the goggles, but I can still fly which makes sense. Does the remote ID stop broadcasting if I disconnect the mobile device from the goggles while in flight?

What is the technical reason my mobile must be connected to the Goggles before the FPV will take off?

Anyone tried out the Integra goggles on the FPV with this new firmware and compared them with the older goggles?

Reactions: Torque
Now that the DJI FPV has standard RID with the latest sw update, you must pass RID broadcast requirements else the drone will not take off. This is also required to gain FAA DoC which I see is still not listed at faa.gov.

Anyway, all 3 goggles are now compatible with DJI FPV. The Goggles V2 and Goggles 2 do not have built in GPS and therefore require you to attached a GPS compatible device (aka a mobile phone) to the goggles to trigger RID = Yes and then you can turn on the motors. In the event the phone is detached, RID will stop working but of course the drone will keep flying. This is the same for both the DJI FPV and the DJI Avata. Goggles Integra has built-in GPS so you will not be able to discontinue RID at any point.

Ultimately I still prefer Goggles V2 for use with my DJI PFV, obviously the display is not a good but it suits me better. Plus I am getting some signal loss at greater ranges with Goggles 2 and Integra. Goggles V2 is more comfortable and I guess I'm more used to it although the RID piece is going to be difficult to deal with since you need to tether a phone (not for LTE but for GPS). Use a phone to prime it for take off everything is too annoying instead of finding a solid mounting solution plus I had the error in the screen while flying.

Integra is still my goto on Avata but for some reason I'm finding those harder to use with DJI FPV, maybe it's the FOV. Goggles 2 I'm not a fan and I would sell these if I didn't think I could use them for broadcast mode.

Now that the DJI FPV has standard RID with the latest sw update, you must pass RID broadcast requirements else the drone will not take off. This is also required to gain FAA DoC which I see is still not listed at faa.gov.

Anyway, all 3 goggles are now compatible with DJI FPV. The Goggles V2 and Goggles 2 do not have built in GPS and therefore require you to attached a GPS compatible device (aka a mobile phone) to the goggles to trigger RID = Yes and then you can turn on the motors. In the event the phone is detached, RID will stop working but of course the drone will keep flying. This is the same for both the DJI FPV and the DJI Avata. Goggles Integra has built-in GPS so you will not be able to discontinue RID at any point.

Ultimately I still prefer Goggles V2 for use with my DJI PFV, obviously the display is not a good but it suits me better. Plus I am getting some signal loss at greater ranges with Goggles 2 and Integra. Goggles V2 is more comfortable and I guess I'm more used to it although the RID piece is going to be difficult to deal with since you need to tether a phone (not for LTE but for GPS). Use a phone to prime it for take off everything is too annoying instead of finding a solid mounting solution plus I had the error in the screen while flying.

Integra is still my goto on Avata but for some reason I'm finding those harder to use with DJI FPV, maybe it's the FOV. Goggles 2 I'm not a fan and I would sell these if I didn't think I could use them for broadcast mode.
I could have composed this same post! I completely agree. Goggles 2 have never been comfortable and the edges are always out of focus. I don't mind the V2s and also prefer them for the FPV drone. The Integra were almost comfortable - but with the new padding they fit perfect. And not having to balance the dangling battery and phone is really nice.

I could have composed this same post! I completely agree. Goggles 2 have never been comfortable and the edges are always out of focus. I don't mind the V2s and also prefer them for the FPV drone. The Integra were almost comfortable - but with the new padding they fit perfect. And not having to balance the dangling battery and phone is really nice.
I fixed the design flaw with the Goggles 2 by buying an aftermarket battery holder and short power cable: Amazon.com. Makes a huge difference. But the phone thing is a real pain in the butt.

I fixed the design flaw with the Goggles 2 by buying an aftermarket battery holder and short power cable: Amazon.com. Makes a huge difference. But the phone thing is a real pain in the butt.
I did that for Goggles V2 and it really helps and had decided to do the same for Goggles 2 and then suddenly Integra came out and all Goggles 2 plans were sidelined. Pretty much consider Goggles 2 as orphans.

Reactions: Dangerly and Torque
Do I need gps for my air unit 3 to work ? I just purchased the DJI goggles 2 and a single air unit so I could use it on one of my wings , i hope this is only a drone thing and doesn’t affect air unit usage

Last edited:
Do I need gps for my air unit 3 to work ? I just purchased the DJI goggles 2 and a single air unit so I could use it on one of my wings , i hope this is only a drone thing and doesn’t affect air unit usage

As far as I know the Air unit 3 doesn't emit RID, it just transmits video and the FPV 2 controller input. You'll need to use a separate third party RID emission on your DIY drone if you want to comply with RID.

Reactions: Genetics
In the event the phone is detached, RID will stop working but of course the drone will keep flying.

Does it "stop working" or just stop broadcasting the real-time operator location? I suspect the latter.

Does it "stop working" or just stop broadcasting the real-time operator location? I suspect the latter.
I haven't checked to that level of detail but you get an RID error same as you get when the drone is sitting on the ground right after you power it up before before you engage the props. At that point, nothing is broadcasting so I would suspect the same is true but I can't be sure because honestly, I have never been able to detect FPV RID transmission from my drone.

I haven't checked to that level of detail but you get an RID error same as you get when the drone is sitting on the ground right after you power it up before before you engage the props. At that point, nothing is broadcasting so I would suspect the same is true but I can't be sure because honestly, I have never been able to detect FPV RID transmission from my drone.

I'm not interested enough to track this down, but having been a part of writing tech specs more times than I can count I have no doubt – at all – that loss of GPS at the control station was considered and addressed in the RID spec, and that when this failure mode occurs, the drone continues to broadcast RID without interruption, simply using the last control station location recieved.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N