DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Downtown Miami June 23,2022

Thank you Twicksters
Here is a map to help you locate my position. This was the most stealth place I could find. A few cars in the lot, used mostly for the boaters to trailer their boats into the ramp there. If you watch one of the videos carefully you can make out one cruise liner still in port. We have a very busy cruise port and on the week-ends there are at least 5 ships docked. The schedule for arrival and departures are published on line so I can plan my flights and timelapse shots for those times. If you speech the videos you will also see a plane in the air and several helicopters. This is a very busy spot for low lying aircraft.
No map or am I being tech/useless again? You have done well to get some footage in the can at what sounds a very busy spot with low flying aircraft etc! Thanks for the correction on timelapse and hyper lapse. I had no idea that was the case. Pop the map on when you have a min. By the way I am Twickers not Twicksters. Suspect auto-correct ensures you spell it wrong!

No map or am I being tech/useless again? You have done well to get some footage in the can at what sounds a very busy spot with low flying aircraft etc! Thanks for the correction on timelapse and hyper lapse. I had no idea that was the case. Pop the map on when you have a min. By the way I am Twickers not Twicksters. Suspect auto-correct ensures you spell it wrong!
The misspelling was definitely auto-correct twickers14.

Here is the map. Miami Beach is to right side of the map with south beach at the tip. All of the areas you are looking at are highly restricted. The three islands are for the ultra-wealthy (Star,Hibiscus,Palm) for the likes of Al Capone, Gloria Estefan, movie stars, etc. They are all gated and guarded from anyone not a guest or resident and cannot fly from there. No parking to fly either from the roadways. The roadway (MacArthur Causeway) has fabulous views of the cruise port and downtown but pull offs are non-existent. I once tried to film from the cruise port island (Dodge Island) and was chased off by the City of Miami Police. And Jungle Island is closed since Covid with no parking.
The thicker arrows show the shooting subject areas. Double click to enlarge.

Dale

Downtown Miami video shooting map.jpg

Last edited:
I've been a fan and lover of timelapse photography since I learned it in 2015. Many "Timelapsers") use ND filters to slow the shutter speed, allowing more time to elapse between each exposure.My go to filter on my Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 lens is the Hoya ProND Filter, ND8 (0.9) 3 stop filter. Slowing of the shutter (e.g.: allowing more time for the shutter to be open to let in light) allows for the better sense of movement, or motion blur. There are all sorts of tables for this. I usually go with either 2 or second intervals for cumulus clouds, cirrus clouds 5 seconds, 1 second for people in cities and cars, and sunsets and sunrises about 5-7 seconds, Milky Way 15-25 seconds. I don't use a filter usually for stars or the sun if it not yet risen or it is getting and low near the horizon.

Hmm. For a particular exposure rate, reducing the shutter speed decreases rather than increases the time between exposures. Taking it to the extreme, with a 2-seconds exposure interval, slowing the shutter speed to 2 seconds entirely eliminates the gap between exposures.

I can see that a slower shutter speed increases the motion blur within each frame. That would seem to have a greater effect in a time lapse, where some portions of the scene are static so moving objects are blurred in comparison to the static parts. For hyperlapses, with the camera in motion, slower shutter speeds would tend to blur the entire scene. Could the same effect be achieved by softening the focus in post?

In both time lapse and hyperlapse, it seems like the smoother effect provided by slower shutter speed is due to an increase in the relative blur between moving objects and stationary portions of the scene. Does that sound right?

Hmm. For a particular exposure rate, reducing the shutter speed decreases rather than increases the time between exposures. Taking it to the extreme, with a 2-seconds exposure interval, slowing the shutter speed to 2 seconds entirely eliminates the gap between exposures.

I can see that a slower shutter speed increases the motion blur within each frame. That would seem to have a greater effect in a time lapse, where some portions of the scene are static so moving objects are blurred in comparison to the static parts. For hyperlapses, with the camera in motion, slower shutter speeds would tend to blur the entire scene. Could the same effect be achieved by softening the focus in post?

In both time lapse and hyperlapse, it seems like the smoother effect provided by slower shutter speed is due to an increase in the relative blur between moving objects and stationary portions of the scene. Does that sound right?
Could be my mistake. Did not mean it. I set the ISO at 100 and usually f/8 and allow the timelapse to run on Aperture preferred exposure, which I know adds to the flicker but the flicker is corrected in the LRTimelapse software. Naturally, the longer the shutter is open, the more time there is for motion blur. So, in actuality the shutter speed in constantly changing with the lighting conditions. The alternative is to manually adjust the aperture as the light changes but I would have to touch the camera lens to do it each time, risking camera movement.

The misspelling was definitely auto-correct twickers14.

Here is the map. Miami Beach is to right side of the map with south beach at the tip. All of the areas you are looking at are highly restricted. The three islands are for the ultra-wealthy (Star,Hibiscus,Palm) for the likes of Al Capone, Gloria Estefan, movie stars, etc. They are all gated and guarded from anyone not a guest or resident and cannot fly from there. No parking to fly either from the roadways. The roadway (MacArthur Causeway) has fabulous views of the cruise port and downtown but pull offs are non-existent. I once tried to film from the cruise port island (Dodge Island) and was chased off by the City of Miami Police. And Jungle Island is closed since Covid with no parking.
The thicker arrows show the shooting subject areas. Double click to enlarge.

Dale

View attachment 150869
That sure is a busy place and thanks for the map. We took a boat ride around that area many many years ago when the kids were teenagers (they’re 50 and 48 now) and remember the guide pointing out Gloria’s house so we’ve travelled those waters. I also recall MacArthurs Causeway too-even then a great place to spot the boats. Our son learned to fly at North Perry airport ”up the road” from you. A very happy time. Will go back now and look at your film with more info to enhance it.

Nice video Dale and thank you for showing your work ! It's a beautiful part of the country you live in but that's coming from a life long Minnesotan.
I haven't ventured into the time lapse with our Mavic 2 Pro yet but might have to give it a try. I've been more concentrated on learning the drone better for video and photography while using manual camera settings, with a slight attempt at ND filter use to.
Again thank you for sharing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2