Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Downtown Miami June 23,2022

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
Downtown Miami Video June 23,2022

This is a 2:19 minute video showing timelapse and drone views of downtown Miami, as seen from the MacArthur Causeway (I 395). Views of downtown Miami and the Dodge Island cruise port, and Palm and Hibiscus Islands towards Miami Beach are shown.

More and more, access of citizens to the water’s edges are being restricted and walled off. In years past, I was able to photograph directly from the shore, and from under the I 395 bridge. All of these areas have now been fenced off by developers, using tall fences with green plastic, and obstructing the views. Further deterring photography are roving security people, as I encountered here, forcing me to land the drone.

Tech Information
Timelapses shot with Nikon D750 and f/3.5-5.6 28-300mm lens and 6 stop ND filter for motion blur in the clouds.

Timelapses processed in LRTimelapse 5.8 and using Adobe LrC Lightroom. Drone panoramas processed with Photoshop stitching of up to 11 frames. The final images were edited using Photosjhop masking. Drone videos made with the DJI Mavic 3 and ND 16 filter.

This video was made using Adobe Premiere Pro 2022.

As always, best enjoyed on a full computer screen by clicking on the small square in the lower right hand corner of the frame. Comments always welcomed.

Click link here

Last edited:
@Dale D hi dale i would like to view your video but i cant see a link in your post

This is a 2:19 minute video showing timelapse and drone views of downtown Miami, as seen from the MacArthur Causeway (I 395). Views of downtown Miami and the Dodge Island cruise port, and Palm and Hibiscus Islands towards Miami Beach are shown.

More and more, access of citizens to the water’s edges are being restricted and walled off. In years past, I was able to photograph directly from the shore, and from under the I 395 bridge. All of these areas have now been fenced off by developers, using tall fences with green plastic, and obstructing the views. Further deterring photography are roving security people, as I encountered here, forcing me to land the drone.

Tech Information
Timelapses shot with Nikon D750 and f/3.5-5.6 28-300mm lens and 6 stop ND filter for motion blur in the clouds.

Timelapses processed in LRTimelapse 5.8 and using Adobe LrC Lightroom. Drone panoramas processed with Photoshop stitching of up to 11 frames. The final images were edited using Photosjhop masking. Drone videos made with the DJI Mavic 3 and ND 16 filter.

As always, best enjoyed on a full computer screen by clicking on the small square in the lower right hand corner of the frame. Comments always welcomed.

Click link here
@Dale D hi dale i would like to view your video but i cant see a link in your post
Stupid me! Thanks OMM (I find your moniker a bit interesting since I am old than you -will be 84 September).
Thanks for pointing this out! Would love any feedback.

Dale

@Dale D thanks its there now i will give you my thoughts after i have viewed it

@Dale D another one of your interesting videos dale, i like the way you combine different media in your videos, and as always your editing is great

@Dale D another one of your interesting videos dale, i like the way you combine different media in your videos, and as always your editing is great
Thanks for watching and I thank you for the kind words. It is truly amazing how we spend so much time to create something that only lasts a few minutes! But we have so much fun doing it.

Dale

@Dale D even though i personally dont do any post production editing of my videos or pictures
i still admire those people that do ,and being on this forum, gives members a chance to see other parts of the world from the comfort of there own home ,i dont like to criticize others work ,because i dont feel i have enough experience in the world of photography to do that
but even so i can appreciate the skill and effort that goes into the videos and pictures that are posted here

I chartered sailboats out of Dinner Key Marina and others in the Miami years ago. Things have certainly changed. Thanks for the wonderful update. Those still panoramas you're doing are very nice, too.

I noticed that at about 0:55, the boat that appears in the right side of the frame is moving backward without an appropriate wake and the fellow in the orange shirt is walking backward. I'm curious about the reason for re-timing.

I chartered sailboats out of Dinner Key Marina and others in the Miami years ago. Things have certainly changed. Thanks for the wonderful update. Those still panoramas you're doing are very nice, too.

I noticed that at about 0:55, the boat that appears in the right side of the frame is moving backward without an appropriate wake and the fellow in the orange shirt is walking backward. I'm curious about the reason for re-timing.
Thank you for your words. Yes, you are quite observant. In my editing I tried running the film forward and backward and it simply did not work in the scene of my story telling by going from left to right twice in a row. So in the 2nd clip, I ran the panning shot from right to left, thus reversing the film and the direction of the boat and orange shirted man.

I knew I needed more footage but that nasty security man in the dayglo vest was coming right towards me and shouting out, "sir, sir..." So I had to land my drone and was not able to get more footage that I wanted. Sometimes, you just have to be happy to get what you've gotten, and not get arrested or have your drone seized. Happy to be able to walk away from that guy.

Tech Information

Click link here
Dale: really enjoy the motion blur on the couds, Great eye.

Is frustrating being fenced out of what should be public access spaces.

Thanks for sharing your art.

thank you! So glad you liked it.

Dale

I'm currently trying to better understand the effects of ND filters on videos and where they're appropriate. I'm curious about the motion blur you mentioned. I assume you're referring to the conventional video and not the hyperlapse. What is it that's appealing?

Thanks.

I'm currently trying to better understand the effects of ND filters on videos and where they're appropriate. I'm curious about the motion blur you mentioned. I assume you're referring to the conventional video and not the hyperlapse. What is it that's appealing?

Thanks.
I've been a fan and lover of timelapse photography since I learned it in 2015. Many "Timelapsers") use ND filters to slow the shutter speed, allowing more time to elapse between each exposure.My go to filter on my Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 lens is the Hoya ProND Filter, ND8 (0.9) 3 stop filter. Slowing of the shutter (e.g.: allowing more time for the shutter to be open to let in light) allows for the better sense of movement, or motion blur. There are all sorts of tables for this. I usually go with either 2 or second intervals for cumulus clouds, cirrus clouds 5 seconds, 1 second for people in cities and cars, and sunsets and sunrises about 5-7 seconds, Milky Way 15-25 seconds. I don't use a filter usually for stars or the sun if it not yet risen or it is getting and low near the horizon.

Nice work Dale. Always a good film from you and love the hyper lapse. I’m not a boater but even to me the boat parking regulations seem to be a bit haphazard in the bay shot. How do you know where to drop anchor and how do other vessels get to thread their way through the craft already parked up (sorry moored!)? Also where‘s the cruise liner terminal-can’t be far away.

Nice work Dale. Always a good film from you and love the hyper lapse. I’m not a boater but even to me the boat parking regulations seem to be a bit haphazard in the bay shot. How do you know where to drop anchor and how do other vessels get to thread their way through the craft already parked up (sorry moored!)? Also where‘s the cruise liner terminal-can’t be far away.
Thank you Twicksters
Here is a map to help you locate my position. This was the most stealth place I could find. A few cars in the lot, used mostly for the boaters to trailer their boats into the ramp there. If you watch one of the videos carefully you can make out one cruise liner still in port. We have a very busy cruise port and on the week-ends there are at least 5 ships docked. The schedule for arrival and departures are published on line so I can plan my flights and timelapse shots for those times. If you speech the videos you will also see a plane in the air and several helicopters. This is a very busy spot for low lying aircraft.

Thank you Twicksters
Here is a map to help you locate my position. This was the most stealth place I could find. A few cars in the lot, used mostly for the boaters to trailer their boats into the ramp there. If you watch one of the videos carefully you can make out one cruise liner still in port. We have a very busy cruise port and on the week-ends there are at least 5 ships docked. The schedule for arrival and departures are published on line so I can plan my flights and timelapse shots for those times. If you speech the videos you will also see a plane in the air and several helicopters. This is a very busy spot for low lying aircraft.
By the way- I must correct your word- these cloud timelapses were just that. They were not hyperlapses. Hyperlapse occurs when the camera moves around or toward or away from the subject . This can be by a human body or by a photographer moving hi cameras and tripod after each shot, or with a drone. A timelapse occurs When the camera remains in one spot.

Tech Information

Click link here

Nice video - it appears you have reversed some of you footage, a boat going backwards and a person in the foreground walking backwards?
yes- the overall story is told better that way

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captainhook