DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone activity ide

Richie1027

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hello everyone. Hoping this doesn’t generate too many laughs. I live in a somewhat rural part of Louisiana, and visually appealing areas to film or fly around are lacking. I do some commercial work for our city; aerial photos of many ongoing projects, public works needs, etc, but it’s sporadic and without any drone clubs, I’m pretty much alone.

I've googled the question broadly “what can you do for enjoyment with a drone?” Not surprisingly the list was extensive with recreational and commercial ideas. I didn’t find anything that grabbed my interest so I figured I’d ask you. What recreational activities, if any, do you enjoy engaging in with your drone(s)? I have a few limitations being a disabled 70 yr old vet, but I do get around pretty good.
many thanks

Have you tried the motion controller & goggles? That is if you have a drone that can use one.

It gives you a whole new perspective of flying bc it is like flying with a plane with a control stick. I thought it would be gimmicky, but I like using it the best. Very intuitive and fun.

Last edited:
Greetings from Chicago the Windy City, and welcome to the forum.
FLY SAFE & FLY SMART
I plan trips, especially along coast lines to fly my drone.

what can you do for enjoyment with a drone?
Rich,

I can see you this is not your first posting and you are obviously not new to droning based on your fleet of drones and your Part 107 License…

I live in a FAA Zero Altitude Quadrant only a few miles from an Air Force Base, a few miles from an International Airport, and a bit farther from an Army Airfield, and there is a gaggle of National Parks all around me… I refer to my home as a "Drone Taxi Zone…"

Until I acquired my Part 107, I could not even fly in my back yard, but now with a FAA Authorization and about a dozen more FAA Authorizations, I can fly most everywhere now, except for the National Parks…

Home Map with Warnings.jpg

However, like you I am a veteran, a 30-year Air Force veteran and I was stationed 3-times, for a total of 13-years, at this Air Force Base and I know a lot of folks there. Just to fly in my own back yard, I have to call the ATC to coordinate with them and they know the old Chief and I sometimes cause quite a stir…

For instance, last summer, the base had its Open House and with all the flying, including the Thunderbirds, the FAA installed a No Fly Zone in a 10-mile perimeter around the base. I am well inside that perimeter, but I wanted some nice shots as the Thunderbirds often flew over my home performing third maneuvers.

Knowing I could not fly my drone, I went up onto the roof of my house, placed the drone on top of the chimney and turned it on in the hope of just holding the drone and shooting photos from its camera. I was recording the tablets screen so I could get all the image, but my little bird fired off the base's AeroScope or whatever they are using and since they know me (I call them about a half dozen times a week…), they called to warn me not to fly. I wasn't going to fly, but to prevent them from raising a stink with the FAA, I shut her down…

So, to answer your question, “what can you do for enjoyment with a drone?” Try violating a NFZ…

LT Signing Off…

Have you tried the motion controller & goggles? That is if you have a drone that can use one.

It gives you a whole new perspective of flying bc it is like flying with a plane with a control stick. I thought it would be gimmicky, but I like using it the best. Very intuitive and fun.
Appreciate this. Let me know if you’ve experienced any motion sickness with a headset. Thats been the primary reason I haven’t pursued this. Incidentally, are you using DJI goggles or a 3rd party set?

Reactions: LoudThunder
I take my Drone to the park- slap on my goggles and become a jet fighter pilot!! I thought my age and my eye site would make FPV impossible, BUT thank goodness it wasn't a factor.
With a tinywhoop and a set of goggles -you can open up a whole new world of FUN! Join us!
You’re the 2nd reply with the same suggestion. I‘ve not pursued do to a fear of motion sickness but I’m considering a revisit to the idea. Thanks very much.

Rich,

I can see you this is not your first posting and you are obviously not new to droning based on your fleet of drones and your Part 107 License…

I live in a FAA Zero Altitude Quadrant only a few miles from an Air Force Base, a few miles from an International Airport, and a bit farther from an Army Airfield, and there is a gaggle of National Parks all around me… I refer to my home as a "Drone Taxi Zone…"

Until I acquired my Part 107, I could not even fly in my back yard, but now with a FAA Authorization and about a dozen more FAA Authorizations, I can fly most everywhere now, except for the National Parks…

View attachment 171387

However, like you I am a veteran, a 30-year Air Force veteran and I was stationed 3-times, for a total of 13-years, at this Air Force Base and I know a lot of folks there. Just to fly in my own back yard, I have to call the ATC to coordinate with them and they know the old Chief and I sometimes cause quite a stir…

For instance, last summer, the base had its Open House and with all the flying, including the Thunderbirds, the FAA installed a No Fly Zone in a 10-mile perimeter around the base. I am well inside that perimeter, but I wanted some nice shots as the Thunderbirds often flew over my home performing third maneuvers.

Knowing I could not fly my drone, I went up onto the roof of my house, placed the drone on top of the chimney and turned it on in the hope of just holding the drone and shooting photos from its camera. I was recording the tablets screen so I could get all the image, but my little bird fired off the base's AeroScope or whatever they are using and since they know me (I call them about a half dozen times a week…), they called to warn me not to fly. I wasn't going to fly, but to prevent them from raising a stink with the FAA, I shut her down…

So, to answer your question, “what can you do for enjoyment with a drone?” Try violating a NFZ…

LT Signing Off…
I appreciate you sharing those experiences. My only experience with a hot zone was at the beach last summer at Florida’s gulf coast. 2 miles from Elgin AFB flight line my flight time was nixed due to proximity and some maneuvers they were doing. Congrats on making it to the top of the NCO command. i served in the AF and Army and had tremendous admiration for the E-9’s I met over the years.
A couple other member's posted their experience with headsets and I may look into those again…

Appreciate this. Let me know if you’ve experienced any motion sickness with a headset. Thats been the primary reason I haven’t pursued this. Incidentally, are you using DJI goggles or a 3rd party set?
I did not have any motion sickness and rarely even have a slight feeling, but I have a cattle ranch, so I have lots of open space to fly which I thinks helped develop this resistance. The times I I sort of get this feeling is when I am ripping the FPV through the trees like a race track, but I rarely do this bc I am scared that I will crash.

Also, I use the DJI V2 goggles for the FPV and the Goggles 2 for the Avata.

The motion sickness thing may be a problem at first. Everybody feels it and most of us didn't like flying with goggles at first- It takes a few times for that to go away. It gets MUCH easier once you adapt your eyes to it. About the time the sickness starts to not be a factor you will find yourself enjoying the goggles more and more.

Hello everyone. Hoping this doesn’t generate too many laughs. I live in a somewhat rural part of Louisiana, and visually appealing areas to film or fly around are lacking. I do some commercial work for our city; aerial photos of many ongoing projects, public works needs, etc, but it’s sporadic and without any drone clubs, I’m pretty much alone.

I've googled the question broadly “what can you do for enjoyment with a drone?” Not surprisingly the list was extensive with recreational and commercial ideas. I didn’t find anything that grabbed my interest so I figured I’d ask you. What recreational activities, if any, do you enjoy engaging in with your drone(s)? I have a few limitations being a disabled 70 yr old vet, but I do get around pretty good.
many thanks

Welcome to the forum. I sympathize with you about photogenic scenery in flat parts of the country - no mountains, canyons, mesas, or valleys to shoot. But there are interesting things. A couple of years ago, we stopped at the mouth of the Davis Pond Diversion on the river a few miles upstream of New Orleans and found some interesting subjects.

drone.w.gators.jpg

The motion sickness thing may be a problem at first. Everybody feels it and most of us didn't like flying with goggles at first- It takes a few times for that to go away. It gets MUCH easier once you adapt your eyes to it. About the time the sickness starts to not be a factor you will find yourself enjoying the goggles more and more.
Thanks very much. Good to know because I‘d be one of those to assume “it won’t get better” and return/sell the goggles. This info will help with my purchase decision. I watched perhaps 10-11 videos purporting to explain the pro’s/con’s between integra and goggles 2. I couldn’t find consistent reviews other than the the cost point. I laughed because the one video I watched was 2minutes in some Arabic language, but the person included English tags detailijg feature like Bluetooth, speakers, charging, etc that helped differentiate the models.

Welcome to the forum. I sympathize with you about photogenic scenery in flat parts of the country - no mountains, canyons, mesas, or valleys to shoot. But there are interesting things. A couple of years ago, we stopped at the mouth of the Davis Pond Diversion on the river a few miles upstream of New Orleans and found some interesting subjects.

View attachment 171401
Hahaha. Yes indeed, those are interesting subjects you captured!

won’t get better” and return/sell the goggles. This info will help with my purchase decision. I watched perhaps 10-11 videos purporting to explain the pro’s/con’s between integra and goggles 2.
My main concern was my eyes. The Goggle 2 have adjustable diopters vs the Integra’s have plastic (easily scratched) inserts.

Also, get the soft fit foam from Dji and they should fit pretty good after that.

IMG_5809.jpeg

I own a variety of goggles -Fatsharks-HD-zero and DJI. The DJI goggles I started with where the racing edition ones, but all the dji goggles seem to be easier to train your eyes too, I don't know why that is because I much prefer the HD zero goggles. They just feel the most natural to me.
Speaking of Racing Edition goggles anyone have any Analog antennas- you know the DJI ones that go bad as soon as you hit them with your hand!

Last edited:
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne