DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone being suspected in Falcon Killing

I don't think that it would be as "clean" of a severing as they describe. But I suppose it's possible.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
WOW! Does anyone know "if" a drone's blade will cut that cleanly? I mean, in the photo (if that was an actual photo of the falcon), it was wearing a tag. Maybe that had something to do with it. Maybe it was the other leg . . . sad story either way.

• Sad
Reactions: RMS001 and PoonDog
WOW! Does anyone know "if" a drone's blade will cut that cleanly? I mean, in the photo (if that was an actual photo of the falcon), it was wearing a tag. Maybe that had something to do with it. Maybe it was the other leg . . . sad story either way.
Good point. Either way, not a test I want to play guinea pig to find out. Just sounds like a blame game kind of article to me.

Good point. Either way, not a test I want to play guinea pig to find out. Just sounds like a blame game kind of article to me.
Using anti drone sentiment to sell the tabloid at grocery store checkout.... drums up antidrone sentiment for no reason. Maybe they’ll start on hula hoops next.

Didnt see the pic but never the less a tradigy.

This is sad on many levels. First although very possible, that a drone would be blamed without clear evidence. Secondly, the assumption that if indeed it was a drone that the pilot knew of the nest and intended on harming the birds.

A drone smaller than an Inspire 2 would cause me to doubt "a clean-cut". However, an Inspire 2 could indeed cut a birds leg off ( I nearly lost a thumb).

Really difficult to argue, one way or the other at this stage. As usual, instead of letting speculation run rampant, why not wait for better evidence - in this case an autopsy result.
Forensically a couple of points do come to mind though. Lets just presume for arguments sake there was a UAV, and the bird was defending its nest against a perceived threat; would it be diving at the drone in a way that would expose its legs to the extent the rest of its body escaped any sort of injury?
A UAV the size of an M2P or smaller I feel would not "cleanly" severe the bird's legs, as suggested has happened, and I would have thought an aircraft the size of an Inspire or bigger would simply be making enough noise to frighten the bird to fly off from an attack, even though one prop' alone might cause such traumatic injury - before crashing?
Birds of prey are not silly, having a survival instinct that goes back a very long way genetically!

As a footnote: DON't buy into the media's use of the word "drone". That just continues to perpetuate the tabloid use of such a word, which by virtue of how it is said in English immediately evokes anti sentiment feelings.

My suggestion is to use the mnemonic "UAV" and keep pushing that forward every time there is any discussion about unmanned aerial vehicles. UAV has a much softer tone than the word "DRONE", which can be preserved as the name of a military "pilotless radio-controlled aircraft used for reconnaissance or bombing " (Collins Dictionary)!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flonke