DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone blamed for Helicopter Crash in South Carolina

It's a sad but inescapable fact that a helicopter is, in normal flight, with the possible exception of the most extreme stealth aircraft, in the most unstable flight configuration possible. Fixed wing aircraft can normally transition to glide configuration with minimal drama, although landing speed can be an issue. An autogyro, the safest form of aircraft, is permanently in autorotation and in the event of anything but a traumatic rotor failure will simply float to the ground like a sycamore seed. A helicopter pilot on the other hand has to have sufficient height and nous to undertake a fairly extreme manoeuvre in order to get the craft into autorotation.

All the above, for the sake of clarification, exclude pilot error, which opens a whole new can of worms.

It's an information-less article. No info on the actual "crash." I for one believe helicopters should have a floor of 400 feet except when landing, taking off, or hovering. Where I fly, random helicopters will do high speed passes at 200 feet. Irritating .

I would like to see a floor of 500 ft for helos, if you are following the drone rules that's only a 100 ft buffer zone.

SHE?! Has anyone here ever witnessed a female trying to parallel park? Is it coincidence that it was the TAIL rudder that struck the tree? I think not. The instructor took the blame because that's what instructor's do. Don't scoff. Thars science in them thar hills!

Men and Women Really Do See Things Differently

Men, Women and Spatial Intelligence - Neuroskeptic

These are just two of many studies that confirm this.

I'm not saying women can't overcome their "spacial awareness" shortcomings, but it seems logical that a female student (e.i. New pilot) would not yet have overcome her genetic disadvantage. When it comes to "spacial awareness," ON AVERAGE, men come out ahead. Which is probably why we're generally better at parking cars, running heavy equipment and giving/receiving directions.

While this may appear "off topic," I think "spacial awareness" plays a huge part in aviation and UAV safety. Contrary to the SJW community, men and women ARE different.

Discuss.

NOPE! Not touching that one with a 20 ft pole.

Reactions: JDawg and JSKCKNIT
Interesting to hear the pilots point of view... they are a lot like us... go figure.

Interesting thread isn't it. The whole story sounds like BS to them as well it should. "Flew into a tree"?

Then again this bit sums it up even better.. "Of course we all know you're a zillion times more likely to be killed by your fatty gut, poor diet, or bad breeding than all of the above combined. Maybe you should ask the government to make it illegal for fat people to eat more than XX calories per day, food rationing for the fatties would save way more lives than "drone regulation"...". Yup.

Media hype is by far the biggest "wooden spoon" element in this whole drone thing.

if something seems off its best to investigate rather than just accept it. then follow through to find the true meaning, I wouldnt be suprised if it were to escalate the dangers you all pose to public safety, then airspace can become more regulated.

you have to really think about why hobby droners are sterotyped and looked at as quasi-criminals

“Drone Shield's Drone Sentinel drone detection system is gonna get you if you are doing something dumb.

Saying that the “pace of incidents is accelerating” and quoting Australian Senator O’Sullivan as saying that drones represent a “catastrophe waiting to happen” drone mitigation firm DroneShield says they are “leading the charge, together with proactive civil infrastructure and market leaders.”

The company points out that airports typically halt all traffic when a drone is “identified” – usually by visual observation – in the airspace, costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. DroneShield provides identification and neutralization strategies.

“Drone Shield's Drone Sentinel drone detection system provides early warning of an incoming drone, including the location of the drone and the pilot. The system includes passive radio frequency, as well as radar, acoustic, thermal and optical sensors,” says the company. “Drone Sentinel can be optionally combined with a jammer (in the Drone Sentry product) to neutralize the incoming drone threat, following the detection. Additionally, Drone Shield's Drone Gun is capable of mobile deployment to intercept rogue drones, as a tactical gun-like jammer. ”

Drones are not dangerous at the moment. There's no real danger for people, for cars, for planes and for submarines.

But companies, governments and militaries want the airspace to be empty, for different reasons each one.

Reactions: KentA
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas