DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone blamed for Helicopter Crash in South Carolina

Maybe the helicopter driver should/shouldn't have rolled back his firmware. :p

No matter what the FAA is mandated to investigate the incident fully. Part of their responsibility is to determine the truthfulness of the pilot and student and drone pilot reported data. Assuming, of course, there was a drone. All three would be placed on record to help determine the findings and recommendations. It would be unfair for any of us not present at the scene of the incident to state who was at fault. It is our duty as a(ny) pilot to fly responsibly and safely. The blame should accordingly go where the blame belongs!

R
Jeffrey

Glade the pilots were ok. Wrong place, wrong time for the helicopter it think. Practicing maneuvers at that altitude above trees with a pilot in training? The pilot may have overreacted when he saw the drone. I think the drone pilot however should have heard the chopper and brought the drone down. Both are responsible in my eyes.

So now UAV pilots are the ones at fault because some other pilot panics when the see a UAV. Was there a fear of a UAV striking the Helo? Where is the evidence there was even a UAV with in the area? I agree with other commenters that this is a fabrication of the the helo pilots to CYA's big time. Problem is the UAV still gets the black eye..

So now UAV pilots are the ones at fault because some other pilot panics when the see a UAV...

Yes, exactly. And who could ever trust an FAA investigation into any such incident? This video of this helicopter crash has been posted here a few times. I tracked down the FAA report and was amazed to see the FAA spent five years trying to figure out what happened. At the end of five years and millions of dollars, the FAA's crackerjack investigators figured it out. They concluded that the helicopter pilot misjudged the distance between her aircraft and stationary object on the ground. Wow. You don't say. Now, this error did not rise to the level of reckless or even negligent flying despite causing millions of dollars in property damage and sending people to hospital. Of course, had there been a little hobby drone parked on the tarmac and helicopter pilot accidentally stepped on it while exiting her craft and twisted her ankle then yes the hobby drone pilot would go to jail for domestic terrorism.

Last edited:
Did you hear about the helicopter that crashed into the east river in NYC a few months ago on a "sightseeing tour?" No drone involved. Its surprising to me that these commercial pilots are allowed to fly their poorly equipped helicopters all over the place killing and endangering so many people.

This tour company's helicopters had been involved in two prior crashes in which nine other people were killed. The "chief pilot" of the tour company and the person in charge of aircraft safety spent 8 years in prison for putting a pillow case over a woman's head and stabbing her with a knife while under the influence of cocaine. You would think that might be problem for FAA licensing but no it apparently was not.

Last edited:
Did you hear about the helicopter that crashed into the east river in NYC a few months ago on a "sightseeing tour?" No drone involved. Its surprising to me that these commercial pilots are allowed to fly their poorly equipped helicopters all over the place killing and endangering so many people.

This tour company's helicopters had been involved in two prior crashes in which nine other people were killed. The "chief pilot" of the tour company and the person in charge of aircraft safety spent 8 years in prison for putting a pillow case over a woman's head and stabbing her with a knife while under the influence of cocaine. You would think that might be problem for FAA licensing but no it apparently was not.

In this particular crash the preliminary investigation is a pretty interesting read.

The chopper shut off mid air. Pilot attempted a restart unsuccessfully. At low altitude, pilot reached down to shut off fuel prior to impact and realized that the passenger’s camera strap was entangled and had inadvertently shutoff the fuel. Pilot turned fuel on, restarted the engine, and ran out of altitude as the engine was spooling up but didn’t have enough rpm’s to generate an adequate amount of lift before touchdown. Everyone survived the landing but a malfunctioning inflatable pontoon allowed the aircraft to invert. Only the pilot got out. Everyone else was unable to remove their safety harness. Safety harnesses that were not factory, rather installed by the helicopter tour company.

Yes, exactly. And who could ever trust an FAA investigation into any such incident? This video of this helicopter crash has been posted here a few times. I tracked down the FAA report and was amazed to see the FAA spent five years trying to figure out what happened. At the end of five years and millions of dollars, the FAA's crackerjack investigators figured it out. They concluded that the helicopter pilot misjudged the distance between her aircraft and stationary object on the ground. Wow. You don't say. Now, this error did not rise to the level of reckless or even negligent flying despite causing millions of dollars in property damage and sending people to hospital. Of course, had there been a little hobby drone parked on the tarmac and helicopter pilot accidentally stepped on it while exiting her craft and twisted her ankle then yes the hobby drone pilot would go to jail for domestic terrorism.

Well that's just another example of the wonderful workings of a government department. It should have taken about five seconds to determine the cause. Just another case of your tax dollars at work keeping someone else employed with great salaries and benefits.

Reactions: conchman

SHE?! Has anyone here ever witnessed a female trying to parallel park? Is it coincidence that it was the TAIL rudder that struck the tree? I think not. The instructor took the blame because that's what instructor's do. Don't scoff. Thars science in them thar hills!

Men and Women Really Do See Things Differently

Men, Women and Spatial Intelligence - Neuroskeptic

These are just two of many studies that confirm this.

I'm not saying women can't overcome their "spacial awareness" shortcomings, but it seems logical that a female student (e.i. New pilot) would not yet have overcome her genetic disadvantage. When it comes to "spacial awareness," ON AVERAGE, men come out ahead. Which is probably why we're generally better at parking cars, running heavy equipment and giving/receiving directions.

While this may appear "off topic," I think "spacial awareness" plays a huge part in aviation and UAV safety. Contrary to the SJW community, men and women ARE different.

Discuss.

SHE?! Has anyone here ever witnessed a female trying to parallel park? Is it coincidence that it was the TAIL rudder that struck the tree? I think not. The instructor took the blame because that's what instructor's do. Don't scoff. Thars science in them thar hills!

Men and Women Really Do See Things Differently

Men, Women and Spatial Intelligence - Neuroskeptic

These are just two of many studies that confirm this.

I'm not saying women can't overcome their "spacial awareness" shortcomings, but it seems logical that a female student (e.i. New pilot) would not yet have overcome her genetic disadvantage. When it comes to "spacial awareness," ON AVERAGE, men come out ahead. Which is probably why we're generally better at parking cars, running heavy equipment and giving/receiving directions.

While this may appear "off topic," I think "spacial awareness" plays a huge part in aviation and UAV safety. Contrary to the SJW community, men and women ARE different.

Discuss.

I just read those books, The Male Brain and The Female Brain. There is actually biological support for part of what you say, specifically:

When it comes to "spacial awareness," ON AVERAGE, men come out ahead. Which is probably why we're generally better at (navigation) and giving/receiving directions.

No question male rats are better maze runners than their female counterparts. By statistically significant margin. But here is the rub. Women now have GPS at fingertips so this particular evolutionary edge has been significantly dulled.

No question male brains are bigger and heavier than female brains. Normally, the bigger the brain mass the better. But, here is the rub. The smaller female brain is arguably better wired inside; on average it has more neural interconnections running between the right and left hemispheres of the brain.

226078_5_.jpg

I just read those books, The Male Brain and The Female Brain. There is actually biological support for part of what you say, specifically:

When it comes to "spacial awareness," ON AVERAGE, men come out ahead. Which is probably why we're generally better at (navigation) and giving/receiving directions.

No question male rats are better maze runners than their female counterparts. By statistically significant margin. But here is the rub. Women now have GPS at fingertips so this particular evolutionary edge has been significantly dulled.

No question male brains are bigger and heavier than female brains. Normally, the bigger the brain mass the better. But, here is the rub. The smaller female brain is arguably better wired inside; on average it has more neural interconnections running between the right and left hemispheres of the brain.

226078_5_.jpg

Touché. Nicely put. Love the photo! HA!

Women now have GPS at fingertips so this particular evolutionary edge has been significantly dulled.

My wife struggles to get Google Maps to give her proper directions on her phone... "Yes, honey - I'm sure it's the app." Got any other theories? :^D

Reactions: Donnie Frank
My wife struggles to get Google Maps to give her proper directions on her phone... "Yes, honey - I'm sure it's the app." Got any other theories? :^D

Yes. Your experience, though anecdotal, supports the Donnie Frank thesis. Of course its up to each individual to decide whether to help spouse understand and use technology which may wipe out any evolutionary or other advantage. To answer TBoz, no Im not married and not that good with navigation myself but have GF who is thank goodness! Now, as far as any other theories, I went back and checked some of the scientific studies and realized there were a few new wrinkles. They have tested in minute detail what things motivate these male rats to get through the mazes faster and it comes down to food and females. Nothing else seems to matter.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi