DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Communications with DJI?

Desert Sky

Reactions
I'm wondering how my Air 2 communicates with DJI? Also, what specific information gets communicated? And how is this information of benefit to the drone or me? Also, how can I turn this feature on and off? Any help with this will be appreciated.

I'm wondering how my Air 2 communicates with DJI? Also, what specific information gets communicated? And how is this information of benefit to the drone or me? Also, how can I turn this feature on and off? Any help with this will be appreciated.
Mine sends doves with secret messages?

As I understand it, It doesn’t communicate directly with DJI “ live”. When you sync your flight logs to DJI all the flight telemetry is uploaded.....this now opens the door to a mirad of “opinions” as to whether DJI is spying on you or not.
Believe me this subject has been debated at GREAT length and every new drone that comes out produces new pilots who, inevitably, raise the subject again.
Have a trawl through previous posts and “knock yourself out “ feasting on them.
Myself,for what it’s worth, I’m totally bored with it now.
Take care, stay safe and catch you later. Peter

The app will upload flight data to your account...when you enable it. Everything else is conjecture and/or paranoia.

As I understand it, It doesn’t communicate directly with DJI “ live”. When you sync your flight logs to DJI all the flight telemetry is uploaded.....this now opens the door to a mirad of “opinions” as to whether DJI is spying on you or not.
Believe me this subject has been debated at GREAT length and every new drone that comes out produces new pilots who, inevitably, raise the subject again.
Have a trawl through previous posts and “knock yourself out “ feasting on them.
Myself,for what it’s worth, I’m totally bored with it now.
Take care, stay safe and catch you later. Peter
Correct.

As long as you don't connect to the internet, nothing gets uploaded.

It's a standing issue with the U.S. gov't. There is no verifiable evidence that anything of any value is ever transmitted back to Chinese servers.

Every time you sinc your phone, or do a google search, or post on social media, everything gets downloaded to those companies servers. I’m sure it’s the same with DJI.

OK... at this point I have a couple of options... I can think that every internet app is spying on me anyway, so what the hell about DJI knowing where I fly. Or I can make an effort to turn off transmitting information about my flights to DJI. How do I turn off transmission of flight data to DJI? Also, if I do this, am I losing out in some way?

If DJI is serious about privacy and security, then it should have the option for users to have their flight profile and other details turned off. The flight data should be stored in our phones and not on the DJI website.

Additionally, we should be able to fly the drones without having to log in our DJI usernames.

Most of us have our phones and tablets back up to the OS publisher cloud.

DJI does use the logs for warranty claims. They can just look at the logs on the AC itself if it's able to be sent in. However when the AC is lost in a body of water or otherwise unrecoverable, the only thing left DJI can go on is the mobile logs.

Syncing logs to the cloud allows you to sync back down to another device. Aordata I believe can also sync from your DJI account if you let it, although they all have an app that will sync from the logs on your device.

This topic brings out the paranoia in some people.
The facts are your drone can only communicate with your controller.
The drone and controller have a short range and neither has any way of communication with DJI.
If you choose to upload your flight data to DJI's servers (synch), that goes to DJI, otherwise nothing does.

Whether you synch or not makes no difference but there are some reasons you might choose to synch your data.
If you have a crash and want a replacement, DJI need to see the data to investigate the incident.
If you ever change the phone or tablet you fly with, any data you have synched comes across to your new device.
If you could see what is in your flight data, you'd see that there's nothing at all in it to worry about.

Reactions: Peter Hughes
This topic brings out the paranoia in some people.
The facts are your drone can only communicate with your controller.
The drone and controller have a short range and neither has any way of communication with DJI.
If you choose to upload your flight data to DJI's servers (synch), that goes to DJI, otherwise nothing does.

Whether you synch or not makes no difference but there are some reasons you might choose to synch your data.
If you have a crash and want a replacement, DJI need to see the data to investigate the incident.
If you ever change the phone or tablet you fly with, any data you have synched comes across to your new device.
If you could see what is in your flight data, you'd see that there's nothing at all in it to worry about.

I’m afraid what you saying makes perfect sense.
Unfortunately you, me and the rest of the rational thinking world will never convince those who think that Big brother or DJI or the Chinese government or some other “Dark, malevolent force” is watching over our flight data whilst cackling insanely over the fact they know, for example, I’ve just flown in my local park, is pure fantasy!
As I said initially, every time a new batch of pilots arrive on the scene, the same old conspiracies resurrect themselves and we all go round the block again...wait, maybe that’s what “They” want us to do???!

Thank you all for these informative responses to my question. I have the DJI Care Refresh Plan... sounds like bath soap doesn't it? So I'll probably just allow the data to be sent to them. I've had a couple of crashes and so far the Air 2 has held up. Keep my fingers crossed... and Thanks for your help!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13