DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone crashes in world's 2nd tallest building

Sad

Want more restrictive regulations and fines?
Do what this tourist did.

Reactions: timmers
I’ve posted this video before, but for those not familiar with flying light drones around tall buildings, here are some facts from Nav CANADA. It may not be the situation here since he said he lost the link, but you dont need much wind to have an uncontrollable situation around tall buildings.

I’ve posted this video before, but for those not familiar with flying light drones around tall buildings, here are some facts from Nav CANADA. It may not be the situation here since he said he lost the link, but you dont need much wind to have an uncontrollable situation around tall buildings.
Good steer Ralph, this wind principle is very evident in mountainous terrain also. Thanks, this is very informative.

That 'Urban Airflow' video is something every pilot should watch. It's really well done and very informative. It should be required watching for obtaining FAA licences. Thanks for reposting it, I hadn't seen it.

Lets stay on the ice shall we people and put the hazards involved in the flying of drones into some context.

In the first nine months of 2022 31,785 died on US roads, and there were more than 40,000 deaths from firearms. As far as I am able find out there have been zero drone fatalities.

I rest my case.

Reactions: Derodeo
Wow, what a great video!! Really enjoyed it. You'd have to be very confident to fly in conditions like that.

Urban Airflow is a wonderful presentation. That was a lot of info packed into a rather quick presentation. Thanks for the link 🍻

Reactions: Sparc343
Agreed, GREAT watch on that video/presentation!!!

Exactly the reason I use propguards when I have to fly close proximity to any built structure. You get updraft, downdraft, shear, etc. Then you also have to take into account the drones own propwash. I don't care how many people sneer at the use of guards in specific circumstances, you could be the drone equivalent to Maverick: one of these gusts will still total your bird.

My answer on Reddit:

Okay, now what is this?

The maximum height a DJI drone can fly to is 500 meters. This tower is higher than that. Of course, it lost signal due to the large building in between the drone and the controller and initiated a Return-To-Home sequence, which tells the drone to ascend to the set height in the DJI Fly app, in this case probably 500 meters above the takeoff point, and fly back to the takeoff position.

In the reflection, the drone was visible, which looked like a DJI Mini 2, which doesn't have obstacle avoidance sensors and couldn't possibly avoid the building. It flew right into it. The inexperience of the pilot and lack of planning, it seems.

What was the right thing to do? Not fly there. But I do understand that some people want to fly in spots like that, well, then the right thing would be to set the failsafe behavior (aka what happens when the drone and remote lose signal) to hover, then the drone would just hover in place, and the pilot would move, get closer to the drone, reconnect and land safely, instead, it was set to RTH, which is the safest option in the vast majority of cases, but not here.

And not to mention, this was beyond visual line of sight, which isn't allowed in most places, assuming there it is also the case.

I hate seeing stuff like this on the internet because it means more restrictions for drone pilots like me… I'm not trying to blame the pilot here, because of course it wasn't intentional, but still, you have to be a bit more cautious when flying, and plan at least a bit before the flight, so stuff like this doesn't happen, hopefully.

Reactions: Sparc343
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS