DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Defence - spoofing

AJB1884

Reactions
I love my Mavic but recently I have been interested in the impact of drones on the wider world and what methods people/companies/airports/prisons etc use to stop drones.
There is interesting tech out there and i made a summary video. Hope you all enjoy.

Side point: I wonder if people use spoofing to steal drones

Alex

I'm unaware on existance of any such master key to the sdr keychange algorithm used by DJI drones. What can of course be done is make the the drone disconnect all the time from the controller, but you can't essentially pair it to a new controller that way. In addition to hardware address's you can spoof you'd also need the encryption key used on the encryption iv's.

In my own experience all this drone defense is a big waste of time. What will really work to bring a drone down is simply developing a program that automatically forces any drone to download the latest DJI firmware. That will get or keep a drone on the ground for sure.:cool:Thumbswayup:confused:
mikemoose55

Reactions: Lapeer20m
If I were the commander of a military base on us soil or some other sensitive outdoor property, this problem would likely keep me up at night.

From my research, it’s a pretty difficult problem to solve. It’s not like you can just safely use rifles fired into the sky.

An easy low tech approach for smaller spaces is the installation of bird netting.

Most techniques for detecting and stopping a drone are only useful for one type or manufacturer of drones and it’s pretty tricky.

The aerospace companies have developed sophisticated high energy devices like lasers or focused microwave beams that can detect and destroy drones, but detection of a drone can be tricky, letting it fall from the sky can be dangerous, and the high energy tools can have unwanted effects.

Jamming gps is another option, but only the feds can legally use this tech and it won’t necessarily stop a drone that is being actively piloted, it just forces it into Atti mode in many cases.

Large birds of prey are not super practical.

Drones with nets are an interesting concept but they suffer from the same detection problems as other technology. It’s difficult to make this work with ALL drones. Plus, a large drone mike a matrice 600 would likely exceed the carrying capacity of a drone hunter.

There are ground based nets that are fired from handheld devices as well as cool miniature “missiles” that are fired from an automated platform.

So far it hasn’t been a problem, but if bad actors wanted to utilize drones for evil it seems like a difficult problem to combat.

Do you suppose they can detect non-Dji drones that use a radio frequency from a different part of the spectrum?

Or a drone that doesn’t send telemetry back to a remote controller?

Technology compatible with Dji drones makes the most sense since Dji owns the majority of the drone market but i am skeptical that this technology works with less common drones.

Also, I don’t understand the defense side of it either. I’m curious what their strategy is?

I found this on their website:

DroneWatcherAPP uses advanced signals intelligence technology to turn an Android smartphone or tablet into a drone and small UAV finder that detects, tracks and records information on ~95% of consumer and prosumer drones with a range of up to 1/4 – 1/2 mile. The APP also records data including the drone type, ID and other information that can be used to document incursions and support apprehension and prosecution by local law enforcement”

95% is pretty good.

from what I understand the recent ruling against the faa requirements that were then reversed, are preparing for corporate airspace rules.

amazon and other retailers were a strong lobby against hobby drone piloting, in favor of commercial airspace

they will make available for sale.

Watch at 6min exactly! That bird just takes out that quad.... And it doesn't take a birdologist to see there was no blood or feathers!

themoreyouknow.jpg

Reactions: mad monkey
Just a note for the birds: It's a FEDERAL CRIME to interfere with an aircraft, drone or not.
According to bird law, three strikes and you’re out! Bye, bye birdie. Ready boys and girls, because this is where it gets good: Because it's a bird, capital punishment is on the table. Maybe a tiny electric chair. Or perhaps some sort of small bird guillotine. I wouldn’t understand the physics of it—I’m not an executioner. I’m just the best goddamned bird lawyer in the world.

Reactions: mad monkey
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22