DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone disappeared on rth route

What’s your new hardware? Is that a Tile, or a holder for an AirTag? An AirTag will work as long as someone with an iPhone with Bluetooth turned on goes near it, but MarcoPolo is better at finding something lost in the wild.

I bet that it got to 300ft and then a minute or two afterwards it made a forced landing automatically because of the critically low battery.

SO theres a couple of things going on here as I understand it...
TimeLine:
1.Firstly the drone decides at 20% Battery to start RTH
2.Then you say the Drone disconnects
3.THen you say " I tried to hit the cancel button because it was hovering over a safe place."
HUH? was it hovering or in RTH?

4.Then,"However the screen went black and white then returned to the main Dji screen and said was disconnected. "
5. In the mean time I was looking in the sky for the drone and couldn’t find it

I agree that the drone starts RTH .... (climbing etc) (1.)
... Here is the Confusion
Point 2. and 4. seem to happen on EITHER side of you clicking to CANCEL RTH.

NB Notes:
DJI FLy app regularly 'does this thing' on my Drone while flying - Where it Returns to the HOME Screen.
THis may have been the disconnection you witnessed.
What then is required - is to re-enter the GUI , and Flight Screen - as if at the Start. (This is a Glitch of Fly) ... and continue the flight. I have this happen many times when the drone is at some distance. (DJI-RC)

However if this Glitch Occurred Immediately while RTH had been invoked, by CLicking the CANCEL button would have still Stopped the RTH (Hence the Experts saying that the Drone did a 30 Deg wobble and returns to 0 deg.This could be braking )
But you wouldnt have been able to see this. Because you were at the 'MAIN DJI Screen'
So YOU may have been responsible for stopping an RTH to a hover- at 17%

SO in Point 4. above. did you try and enter the GUI again to continue the FLight - or did you Just start 5. "looking in the sky for the drone and couldn’t find it"

Its possible that the Drone had enough power to get home - ... but was waiting for your command to take it home (After you Cancelled) - THen Landed at Critical Low Battery

So did you re-enter the GUI Flight Screen again ? (from the Main screen) or Not ?

Last edited:
TimeLine:
3.THen you say " I tried to hit the cancel button because it was hovering over a safe place."

4.Then,"However the screen went black and white then returned to the main Dji screen and said was disconnected. "

NB Notes:
DJI FLy app regularly 'does this thing' on my Drone while flying - Where it Returns to the HOME Screen.
What then is required - is to re-enter the GUI , and Flight Screen - as if at the Start. (This is a Glitch of Fly) ... and continue the flight. I have this happen many times when the drone is at some distance. (DJI-RC)

However if this Glitch Occurred Immediately while RTH had been invoked, by CLicking the CANCEL button would have still Stopped the RTH (Hence the Experts saying that the Drone did a 30 Deg wobble and returns to 0 deg.This could be braking )
But you wouldnt have been able to see this. Because you were at the 'MAIN DJI Screen'

SO in Point 4. above. did you try and enter the GUI again to continue the FLight - or did you Just start 5. "looking in the sky for the drone and couldn’t find it"

Its possible that the Drone had enough power to get home - ... but was waiting for your command to take it home (After you Cancelled) -

So did you re-enter the GUI Flight Screen again ? (from the Main screen) or Not ?
FYI, the returning to the home screen in DJI fly is actually not a glitch. In the very top left of the camera screen is a back arrow that is easily touched by your left hand (only on the RC, not the RC-N1) when flying with the sticks. It is a known issue but not actually a glitch. Simply tap the go fly button to return to the camera screen.

Bad design of - RC and/or Software-
This happens Regularly.
Doesnt hinder the Drone - But can Look like a disconnect...

THis may have been what happened to the OP, and identified as a disconnect...

... and he appears to not have RE-entered the GUI Flight screen again from here.. after clicking CANCEL to RTH.
The drone must have hovered from 17% till 0% till it came down... Possibly

TimeLine:

NB Notes:

Its possible that the Drone had enough power to get home - ... but was waiting for your command to take it home (After you Cancelled) - THen Landed at Critical Low Battery

I like your analysis. Two questionable actions: 1. Why stop the RTH when you truly want it to come home? 2. Why have such a high elevation from which to start the trip back? There's a good chance the wind is higher up that high. .... Very happy you did get it back and with little or no damage. That was great!

I kind of missed these new posts.
Pictures are great!

My P3S on a mission, why so low at 200 ft?
Not today.

What relay sucked it was on neighbors property. I was getting signal from the MP at my house.
Both clips are from a new P3A, very nervous.

Didn't have an opportunity to try to retrieve it, wasn't pretty when I picked up the 5 pieces.
I'm not trying over take the thread, I won't reply to any questions.

Rod ..

Last edited:
Lesson learned: never take off under a tree! And if you do: reset the home point as soon as the drone reaches a point with clear view to the sky so you know auto RTH there is safe.

The drone must have hovered from 17% till 0% till it came down... Possibly
No .. the drone was in RTH and 600 ft from home when signal was lost.
Even if RTH was cancelled, losing signal would have initiated RTH again.
And as it turned up in the tree it was launched under, that indicates that RTH continued just as it is supposed to.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne