DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone drops unknown substance on cars, homes in Ontario neighbourhood

rjwmorrell

Reactions
News article today regarding an FPV drone being used to drop "an unknown substance" around a residential neighbourhood. Police are seeking public assistance in identifying the drone operator.

Dropping cargo/payload isn't specifically an offence (unless the payload is a weapon or hazardous substance) under Canadian rules, so this is a bit of a legislative gap. I've noticed it is a specific rule mentioned in some other countries, the UK for example.

I hope they can find this person and make them pay to the fullest extent of the law!

From the article:

“This is one of those cases where we have laws on the books, but they’re not being properly enforced,” he said. “Police do not have the resources to proactively go after perpetrators of drone-related crimes. And, unfortunately, the best they’ve got here is asking the public for their help. Which, if it’s your house or your car, or you and your dog being targeted by this, is cold comfort.

Reactions: Cafguy
Dropping a cargo nobody expects is NOT delivering a payload, It is littering. They could at least get him for that maybe. As far as having to inform those around you exactly what "Substance" you are dropping is open for debate.
I don't know about Canada But here in the U.S. its pretty much a no go You can't drop things from RC aircraft. Candy and Foodstuffs are a big NO for obvious reasons.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
From the article:

“This is one of those cases where we have laws on the books, but they’re not being properly enforced,” he said. “Police do not have the resources to proactively go after perpetrators of drone-related crimes. And, unfortunately, the best they’ve got here is asking the public for their help. Which, if it’s your house or your car, or you and your dog being targeted by this, is cold comfort.
The article doesn't really specify what laws on the books the police would enforce here.

I believe the police are looking at it from a harassment angle, which is a crime. Though, not drone-related. Potentially, an FPV drone over 249g would require registration and I haven't checked the maps but a lot of the area is under controlled airspace, so there are possible aviation regulatory offences that could result in fines.

I'd expect incidents like these to lead to tighter regulations, perhaps some drone-specific criminal laws.

Reactions: Torque
You can drop bait if you're fishing :)
That's true! BUT as far as land, Our RC club has found only a few things they could get away with "Dropping". If you ask, The AMA or FAA people will ask About- The field, then the stands, then the candy, then its the wrapper- then its this, then its that. lol It always ends up a No somehow. The Scale guys at our field ( the ones that actually fly the Bombers and ww2 stuff) end up tossing smoke on the ground (not a bunch) and tossing the candy out by hand when the planes fly over. After they land and the smoke clears, The orange nets go down and its a free for all for the Kids!

The article doesn't really specify what laws on the books the police would enforce here.

I believe the police are looking at it from a harassment angle, which is a crime. Though, not drone-related. Potentially, an FPV drone over 249g would require registration and I haven't checked the maps but a lot of the area is under controlled airspace, so there are possible aviation regulatory offences that could result in fines.

I'd expect incidents like these to lead to tighter regulations, perhaps some drone-specific criminal laws.
Not trying to minimize the "crime" but everyone has awaked to find a dozen cars on their street with shattered windows from break-ins. Several houses get hit with graffiti by kids who target the block with toilet paper and juveniles have been known to drive around the neighborhood with bb guns shooting at plate glass, mail boxes, and anything that looks like a target. Nobody sees who done it whether they drive by in their car, walk/run on foot at night, or in this case they fly am FPV drone which likely means there less damage that could be done (only so much payload).

I think people are more afraid of this because such an attack you gotta make it count so the material is unlikely to be "paint" and based on the movies we've all seen, has to be anthrax or something worthwhile which means the flyer (who gets to remain out of sight and not exposed to the materials....this makes it easier to surmise the attack is super harmful and this is the stuff of terrorism because we all know it's coming we just don't know when). I would much rather an FPV drone attack my residence at night rather than a drive-by in a car. But in my book, this is all vandalism unless motive and intent otherwise is evident (such as a hate crime or threats) or someone is targeted.

Given there are prior incidents, isn't this the best candidate for remote ID? Or is remote ID broadcast only for the honest citizens flying the legal drones? Perhaps any change to the law would be *all* drones are required to have remote ID regardless of weight. Harassment usually has to be repeated (in a certain timeframe) and unwanted (where there is some sort of relationship like a neighbor, co-worker, your elected official, your ex) and illegal actions (something that you are not allowed to do).

Either way there's no need to create new laws for drones doing things that are already illegal. My fear would be things that are currently legal becoming outlawed if you use a drone to do it. If you use a drone to spray paint a building on the 20th floor, how is that different than walking up to a building and spraying the 1st floor? Yeah it's harder to clean so the [obscene] message will last longer and it's shocking (because people are used to seeing graffiti on buildings that people can reach not up high in out of reach places) but for me, that's not a good reason for one crime to be a misdemeanor and the other a felony. Needs to be based on the amount of damage and perhaps the content of the message. Too many "drone crimes" will eventually translate into "flying a drone is a crime."

Not trying to minimize the "crime" but everyone has awaked to find a dozen cars on their street with shattered windows from break-ins. Several houses get hit with graffiti by kids who target the block with toilet paper and juveniles have been known to drive around the neighborhood with bb guns shooting at plate glass, mail boxes, and anything that looks like a target. Nobody sees who done it whether they drive by in their car, walk/run on foot at night, or in this case they fly am FPV drone which likely means there less damage that could be done (only so much payload).

I think people are more afraid of this because such an attack you gotta make it count so the material is unlikely to be "paint" and based on the movies we've all seen, has to be anthrax or something worthwhile which means the flyer (who gets to remain out of sight and not exposed to the materials....this makes it easier to surmise the attack is super harmful and this is the stuff of terrorism because we all know it's coming we just don't know when). I would much rather an FPV drone attack my residence at night rather than a drive-by in a car. But in my book, this is all vandalism unless motive and intent otherwise is evident (such as a hate crime or threats) or someone is targeted.

Given there are prior incidents, isn't this the best candidate for remote ID? Or is remote ID broadcast only for the honest citizens flying the legal drones? Perhaps any change to the law would be *all* drones are required to have remote ID regardless of weight. Harassment usually has to be repeated (in a certain timeframe) and unwanted (where there is some sort of relationship like a neighbor, co-worker, your elected official, your ex) and illegal actions (something that you are not allowed to do).

Either way there's no need to create new laws for drones doing things that are already illegal. My fear would be things that are currently legal becoming outlawed if you use a drone to do it. If you use a drone to spray paint a building on the 20th floor, how is that different than walking up to a building and spraying the 1st floor? Yeah it's harder to clean so the [obscene] message will last longer and it's shocking (because people are used to seeing graffiti on buildings that people can reach not up high in out of reach places) but for me, that's not a good reason for one crime to be a misdemeanor and the other a felony. Needs to be based on the amount of damage and perhaps the content of the message. Too many "drone crimes" will eventually translate into "flying a drone is a crime."
No remote ID requirement in Canada, although it would be a simple regulatory change and I believe I read somewhere that Transport Canada is already studying the idea.

A small force like Waterloo police probably not heavily invested in drone detection technology (although there is an airport and a federal penitentiary in their jurisdiction), I doubt the force even has a drone unit. They certainly have some challenges in dealing with this issue.

You're right that there are some existing laws that *might* cover this, depending on the nature of the damage/substance. My fear is that incidents like this will result in wild overregulation.

Reactions: mavic3usa
That's true! BUT as far as land, Our RC club has found only a few things they could get away with "Dropping". If you ask, The AMA or FAA people will ask About- The field, then the stands, then the candy, then its the wrapper- then its this, then its that. lol It always ends up a No somehow. The Scale guys at our field ( the ones that actually fly the Bombers and ww2 stuff) end up tossing smoke on the ground (not a bunch) and tossing the candy out by hand when the planes fly over. After they land and the smoke clears, The orange nets go down and its a free for all for the Kids!
I remember when people were free to drop whatever they wanted. There was one guy flying a big old large scale biplane with a large comical looking rubber gorilla in the passenger seat and a little one with a leather cap and goggles as the pilot. The guy would do all kinds of acrobatics, but then finally at the end of his show he would roll it, and the gorilla would fall out of the seat with a parachute. It was all over one time, though as the parachute lines caught on the rudder and his plane stalled out and fell onto the field breaking in half. That was a sad day as it was the last time the big gorilla flew in his plane.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluffman2