DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone fasteners Botched UP

pwmullins

Reactions
If you've tried to work on your drone, you have found that the manufacturer uses the same fasteners that a cell phone maker does on a Mavic Pro. Very small T 5 screws. My problem is that when I took the top shell off, my cell phone tools and bits reemed out a couple of the fasteners and now I can't get them out.

Does anyone have a way of removing these small fasteners when there is no bite on the T 5 tool?

Yeah a flathead will probably do the trick. If all else fails, you can always use a small screw extractor (sold in kits by Amazon, Home Depot, etc) but that should only be used with extreme care so you don't get any metal bits inside the electronics.

Reactions: mnis
Yeah a flathead will probably do the trick. If all else fails, you can always use a small screw extractor (sold in kits by Amazon, Home Depot, etc) but that should only be used with extreme care so you don't get any metal bits inside the electronics.
I have looked all over for small screw extractors and I could never find one that small. That would be a great alternative. The other alternative and also a last resort would be to dremmel a slot on to the screw head

Back in my panel builder days I used Wiha tools. They cost a bit more but the only time I lost any was when they were used for what they were not supposed to be used for. The method Thunderdrones showed is a great way to try when all else fails.
Point to point on a T5 Torx is about .055, the screw diameter is probably a bit smaller (somewhere between 3/64 and 1/16 inch I would guess). Also known as pretty darn small.

Reactions: Former Member
Back in my panel builder days I used Wiha tools. They cost a bit more but the only time I lost any was when they were used for what they were not supposed to be used for. The method Thunderdrones showed is a great way to try when all else fails.
Point to point on a T5 Torx is about .055, the screw diameter is probably a bit smaller (somewhere between 3/64 and 1/16 inch I would guess). Also known as pretty darn small.

I want one of everything!

Wiha Tools USA

In the day, ME TOO. I had a LOT but only a fraction of those available. Not cheap but IMHO well worth the price.

I agree. Cheaper is seldom better. Especially when it comes to tools. How do you feel about Harbor Freight quality?

Please forgive spelling errors because Im using my phone to dictate. Left hand hurts too much!

I had a similar issue happen opening up my Lightbridge ground module. When even the flathead option didnt work, I ended having to very very carefully bench drill the head off the nut, then use pliers to unscrew the rest of the nut once I got cover off. No beuno but worked.

I agree. Cheaper is seldom better. Especially when it comes to tools. How do you feel about Harbor Freight quality?

Please forgive spelling errors because Im using my phone to dictate. Left hand hurts too much!

I have ‘77 Bronco that requires me to have large quantities of tools, and I’ve bought a lot of them from Harbor. Their stuff strikes a great balance between price and quality.

I had a similar issue happen opening up my Lightbridge ground module. When even the flathead option didnt work, I ended having to very very carefully bench drill the head off the nut, then use pliers to unscrew the rest of the nut once I got cover off. No beuno but worked.

I think a bench drill is a great idea. I usually get the dremel out and cut a slot for a flathead screwdriver, but a bench drill will only take the head off and allow the part to be disassembled. How small did the bit have to be to get the module screw drilled out?

Reactions: TheWolfen
I think a bench drill is a great idea. I usually get the dremel out and cut a slot for a flathead screwdriver, but a bench drill will only take the head off and allow the part to be disassembled. How small did the bit have to be to get the module screw drilled out?

It’s been a while, but i think i used a metric 2 or 2.5? Those nuts are pretty small and I recall the the bit was just small enough to fit almost perfectly in the head of the nut. It did work out nice because once i got into the meat of the threaded part of the nut, the top just popped completely. Drilled down maybe a 1/32” and it was cleanly free. Gotta go slow or vibration can make things start going wonky. I started using the bench after learning on other projects the Dremel is just a little too squirrely for my meat hooks.

Reactions: Former Member
Ive been wanting to get a drill press, and was looking at Harbor at some online. It would make life so much easier.

But yes I can see how going too fast with it could make things worse if not careful. But it looks like a really handy piece of equipment.

Reactions: TRuav
Ive been wanting to get a drill press, and was looking at Harbor at some online. It would make life so much easier.

But yes I can see how going too fast with it could make things worse if not careful. But it looks like a really handy piece of equipment.

If Ive learned anything, its have the right tool for the project. Makes any project easier. The bench is a great tool for a ton of projects. My neighbor uses it for making jewelry, I use it for drones, my truck sometimes even minor repair of furniture or other simple wood working projects. If you have the room for it, its a great investment.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming