DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone fishing - good or bad idea?

We reel it in with the rod, using our really big strong arms. (The drone is simply used to carry the bait and drop it over the water.)
Aaaah, OK, I too, thought you were going to troll with the drone.

Aaaah, OK, I too, thought you were going to troll with the drone.

I knew I wasn't the only one to read it like that.

So no, my question was not rhetorical. I was actually concerned that @NZAir2S would have his drone tugged into the water by a fish. I didn't want him to lose his drone.

No good deed goes unpunished. 😇

Reactions: Walleye Hunter
NC bans "fishing" with drones. Having valid fishing license and carrying the baited line attached to a legal rod and reel out and dropping it does not fall under that ordinance according to the Game Warden patrolling Emerald Isle and Swansboro. He's never given me any problems.
@Starstuff
I STAND CORRECTED!!
NC Wildlife does infact ban fishing or "casting" with the drone. I'm guessing the resident Game Warden is either unaware of the rule or it has changed since Oct 2021 when he stopped by our surf set up and watched us deploy cut bait beyond the breakers.
Yup, no problem admitting I'm wrong. It will be interesting in the spring to see if he has had a change of heart. He's been patrolling that beach for years.

Hi @BanditsRoost, I hope you're having a great day..

My personal conclusion is that you should probably buy your game warden a beer. Cheers!
Hey @Starstuff,
More like s case!
Specifically started in the new statutes "It is illegal to use a drone to carry baited line out into the water to help you cast".
Guess I'll go back to using my kite....

I thought this sounded real weird myself. This is something I have seen in the Phantom boards. With the open bottom of the phantom you can drop the bait. I have seen attachments for other things as well. I guess if there is a buyer there is a seller.

I'm wondering whether using them will reduce the life of my drone by making the motors and batteries work harder by carrying a load.
Yes of course it will. By comparison, if you place an egg on a railroad track, the egg and the steel track will both be deformed too.
I have always wanted to say that. Ha Ha

• Haha
Reactions: Beet
I do my fishing from my boat 99% of the time So getting bait where I want it is not a issue. The way I use Drone for fishing is to scan the water from above looking for the fish or looking for areas that hold the bait fish that other fish feed off of, Then moving boat to where the fish are.

Reactions: careless
I was in Panama city this year and watched a man use his Mavic 2 pro to deliver his bait 1000ft. out into the bay, when I asked about it he said that he never had a problem and last year he used a Mavic Pro without problems.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato