DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone flying at Garden of the Gods and around Colorado Springs

HumbearKS

Reactions
Good day everyone.....I am planning to spend a weekend in December in Colorado Springs and of course Garden of the Gods is on the travel agenda as well. Thinking about using my drone there but it seems to be pretty expensive to get a commercial drone and film permit - even though my focus would be on personal videos and pictures, not commercial. Anyone has experience with flying there or has recommendations for other locations around Colorado Springs? Thanks!

Good day everyone.....I am planning to spend a weekend in December in Colorado Springs and of course Garden of the Gods is on the travel agenda as well. Thinking about using my drone there but it seems to be pretty expensive to get a commercial drone and film permit - even though my focus would be on personal videos and pictures, not commercial. Anyone has experience with flying there or has recommendations for other locations around Colorado Springs? Thanks!
I have a friend in Fort Carson, Colorado Spring. He own a Mavic 2 Pro and he flew few times at Gardens of the Gods. After he went about 5 times another drone pilot told him that he can not fly there and he call him the police without tell him. He had to deal with the police and they told him is not legal fly there. What I am not sure if is legally taking off from the road that is close there and them fly over. Not sure.

Reactions: Frankeh

• The Garden of the Gods is a beautiful Park for video. However, drones cannot be operated in the Garden of the Gods Park without proper permits and insurance.
  • Drone photography is not permitted in the park or at the Visitor Center, without proper permitting and insurance. For more information about commercial permits Click Here.

Garden of the Gods (and Bear Creek Park, as well) is off limits due to wildlife habitat rules! Plus, it is a city park and the city has a posted rule of no drone in GOG! I do fly in other parks, here in the Springs! But, some of the best areas actually are not in the Springs, but outside! Such as Monument, Palmer Lake, Cripple Creek and Victor (gold mines). USAFA area in the north end is Class D (G when they close the tower at night), KCOS/Peterson AFB to the east, and Ft Carson Army Post to the south. Check a Sectional Chart for other areas here as well! Don’t get me wrong, it is nice here! But, you really have to know the town first! There are many smaller parks in town to enjoy!
Don’t let this sound discouraging, COS does have a lot to offer! Enjoy your visit!

New drone pilot here with a question. While I understand operating a drone in certain state and city parks is illegal, is it still illegal to do so while the operator is not on the property while the drone flys over? In other words, does the city/state control the airspace over the property?

New drone pilot here with a question. While I understand operating a drone in certain state and city parks is illegal, is it still illegal to do so while the operator is not on the property while the drone flys over? In other words, does the city/state control the airspace over the property?
While they city does NOT control the airspace (all pilots know the FAA is the sole authority of airspace in the USA), it is not advisable to over fly GOG. It is also a protected habitat for certain endangered species. Have more questions about GOG: Contact - Garden of the Gods Visitor Center
If anyone should call and ask about drone flights and GOG responds with something about no fly, a gentle reminder that FAA is fully charged with sole authority. The GOG city park main concern is the endangered species inhabiting the park. It is possible to get a permit to fly in the park. There are tons of paperwork and fee assessments, and insurance matters first!
I wish you luck.

While they city does NOT control the airspace (all pilots know the FAA is the sole authority of airspace in the USA), it is not advisable to over fly GOG. It is also a protected habitat for certain endangered species. Have more questions about GOG: Contact - Garden of the Gods Visitor Center
If anyone should call and ask about drone flights and GOG responds with something about no fly, a gentle reminder that FAA is fully charged with sole authority. The GOG city park main concern is the endangered species inhabiting the park. It is possible to get a permit to fly in the park. There are tons of paperwork and fee assessments, and insurance matters first!
I wish you luck.
I can see if the GOG requires permits and insurance to operate a drone within their property, to mean you land and take off from their property. I get that. But I'd like to see on whose authority it is that the airspace over the park is theirs to forbid a drone operator to fly over. Further, while I also understand the well-worn story of sensitive animals in the park, there is a clear process by which parks with sensitive wildlife are granted formal protection and which that matter then appears on supplemental VFR charts or maybe a NOTAM making it clear you must fly 2,000 feet AGL above such designated parks, of course making it illegal for drones as their ceiling is 400 feet AGL. Further still, parks formally listed as wilderness or similar National Parks have protections that forbid any drone flying whatsoever. So to ask, does GOG enjoy any of these protections? What authority is empowered to interfere with your drone flying over the airspace? Just asking. To say the police will come and question or hassle you is not an answer if they don't have the authority. The VFR sectional chart I have reviewed shows and says nothing of any of these protections. The airspace is clear, it is Class G airspace - not restricted airspace, not a wildlife protected area, no special notations, certainly not Special Use Airspace. Perhaps courts through jurisprudence have shown you cannot fly over such airspace, never mind about formal airspace classifications, but I'd like to be enlightened about such. Drone pilots need to assert their flying rights over airspace that is 'claimed' to be under the legal authority of others than the United States FAA. Otherwise, they could be faked out, coerced, bullied, or whatever into refraining from flying over such airspace. So, I am a big believer in showing clear authority to forbid flying over the GOG. Don't get me wrong, if such authority exists, I would not dare fly over it.

Last edited:
I can see if the GOG requires permits and insurance to operate a drone within their property, to mean you land and take off from their property. I get that. But I'd like to see on whose authority it is that the airspace over the park is theirs to forbid a drone operator to fly over. Further, while I also understand the well-worn story of sensitive animals in the park, there is a clear process by which parks with sensitive wildlife are granted formal protection and which that matter then appears on supplemental VHF charts or maybe a NOTAM making it clear you must fly 2,000 feet AGL above such designated parks, of course making it illegal for drones as their ceiling is 400 feet AGL. Further still, parks formally listed as wilderness or similar National Parks have protections that forbid any drone flying whatsoever. So to ask, does GOG enjoy any of these protections? What authority is empowered to interfere with your drone flying over the airspace? Just asking. To say the police will come and question or hassle you is not an answer if they don't have the authority. The VFR sectional chart I have reviewed shows and says nothing of any of these protections. The airspace is clear, it is Class G airspace - not restricted airspace, not a wildlife protected area, no special notations, certainly not Special Use Airspace. Perhaps courts through jurisprudence have shown you cannot fly over such airspace, never mind about formal airspace classifications, but I'd like to be enlightened about such. Drone pilots need to assert their flying rights over airspace that is 'claimed' to be under the legal authority of others than the United States FAA. Otherwise, they could be faked out, coerced, bullied, or whatever into refraining from flying over such airspace in a way that China wants to bully the USA over fake authority over the Straits of Taiwan. They have no more authority over the navigational waters of those Straits than some entities claim over US airspace. So, I am a big believer is showing clear authority to forbid flying over the GOG. Don't get me wrong, if such authority exists, I would not dare fly over it.
Not really sure who is forbidding you to fly over the GOG. The air space is NOT restricted. Your only limits are the 400’ altitude and VO. However, trying to find an area that affords a good overflight via drone is another story. Sure you could legally take off/land from the public roads providing no ordinance prohibits. You have already checked and discovered TO/L in GOG will cost >$500. TO/L from outside park limits will significantly reduce your ability to maintain VLOS. Yes, the FAA, of course, is the sole authority for control of airspace, you already know that.

Note: https://coloradosprings.gov/sites/default/files/inline-images/drone_policy.pdf. Reminder, portions of Rampart Road are inside the GOG.

The only thing I would really suggest is for you to discover ownership of the lands surrounding the GOG. Guaranteed, VO is going to be your worst enemy on this venture! Please keep us posted on progress. Best of luck.

I can see if the GOG requires permits and insurance to operate a drone within their property, to mean you land and take off from their property. I get that. But I'd like to see on whose authority it is that the airspace over the park is theirs to forbid a drone operator to fly over. Further, while I also understand the well-worn story of sensitive animals in the park, there is a clear process by which parks with sensitive wildlife are granted formal protection and which that matter then appears on supplemental VHF charts or maybe a NOTAM making it clear you must fly 2,000 feet AGL above such designated parks, of course making it illegal for drones as their ceiling is 400 feet AGL. Further still, parks formally listed as wilderness or similar National Parks have protections that forbid any drone flying whatsoever. So to ask, does GOG enjoy any of these protections? What authority is empowered to interfere with your drone flying over the airspace? Just asking. To say the police will come and question or hassle you is not an answer if they don't have the authority. The VFR sectional chart I have reviewed shows and says nothing of any of these protections. The airspace is clear, it is Class G airspace - not restricted airspace, not a wildlife protected area, no special notations, certainly not Special Use Airspace. Perhaps courts through jurisprudence have shown you cannot fly over such airspace, never mind about formal airspace classifications, but I'd like to be enlightened about such. Drone pilots need to assert their flying rights over airspace that is 'claimed' to be under the legal authority of others than the United States FAA. Otherwise, they could be faked out, coerced, bullied, or whatever into refraining from flying over such airspace. So, I am a big believer in showing clear authority to forbid flying over the GOG. Don't get me wrong, if such authority exists, I would not dare fly over it.
This has been re-hashed many times before now. It's easy for us far removed from the situation to advocate challenging local decisions and actions, since we would suffer none of the consequences of a challenge. But is that good advice? Have you personally made such a challenge anywhere? (Didn't think so...)

We may think some rules are wrong, but it's not for us to decide. In worst case, the challenger ends up in court...need I say more?

This has been re-hashed many times before now. It's easy for us far removed from the situation to advocate challenging local decisions and actions, since we would suffer none of the consequences of a challenge. But is that good advice? Have you personally made such a challenge anywhere? (Didn't think so...)

We may think some rules are wrong, but it's not for us to decide. In worst case, the challenger ends up in court...need I say more?
The rules are clear! T/O&L from not GOG, over flight while maintaining VO.
Personally, I do not advocate it as there are protected AVES in vicinity. The city has established procedures for drone permission in the GOG.

Here is one of their rules, directly quoting ...

'According to City Code §9.9.412, it is unlawful for any unauthorized person to operate any rockets, drones, model airplanes, or radio controlled aircraft in any park except in areas set apart for these forms of recreation.'

1. This rule appears to me to be telling me I cannot operate a drone in the airspace over GOG (except in areas set apart for such, which I am not sure are on any map I have seen).

2. This means they are forbidding me to be over the airspace of their park. I can read.

3. OK ... just show me their authority in that airspace. This is normally publsihed on the relevant VFR Sectional Chart, or in its Supplemental Chart, on occasion as a NOTAM or ever a TFR. Copy/paste that authority below for me if you don't mind.

4. If 'some rules are wrong' it IS for me to decide and I DO NOT FOLLOW THEM. YOU CAN THOUGH.

• Sad
Reactions: theDRONEranger

'According to City Code §9.9.412, it is unlawful for any unauthorized person to operate any rockets, drones, model airplanes, or radio controlled aircraft in any park except in areas set apart for these forms of recreation.'

1. This rule appears to me to be telling me I cannot operate a drone in the airspace over GOG (except in areas set apart for such, which I am not sure are on any map I have seen).

2. This means they are forbidding me to be over the airspace of their park. I can read.

3. OK ... just show me their authority in that airspace. This is normally publsihed on the relevant VFR Sectional Chart, or in its Supplemental Chart, on occasion as a NOTAM or ever a TFR. Copy/paste that authority below for me if you don't mind.

4. If 'some rules are wrong' it IS for me to decide and I DO NOT FOLLOW THEM. YOU CAN THOUGH.
You're in Finland???? Easy for you to say.... :)

I sense some hostility here MIH! You asked a question and I thought I answered. Bottomline: There is no designated restricted air space over GOG! You may NOT fly from within the GOG. You may fly from outside GOG. You may fly over at a maximum altitude of 400’. You or designated spotter must maintain LOS. You must NOT land in any shape, manner, or form within the GOG else you are subject to applicable laws.
Have a great flight!

It does NOT say airspace! The FAA is the only entity that controls airspace. You simply may NOT take-off/land on city park property without the applicable municipal permissions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998