DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone history

• Thread starter Deleted member 114292
  • Start date
Must have been like trying to swot a fly with a stick. also 175pmh MENTAL!

The Germans were also working on remotely piloted aircraft about the same time, and theirs were used in direct combat - though not very effective.

Reactions: SMLP
Having served in a Navy fighter squadron working with F4 Phantoms in the 60s, there were no drones to keep up with these guys, So they would tow targets so the fighter jets could test their missile's accuracy in combat-like flying situations. Today's military drones would keep up, not so much our Mavics:)

Attachments

• p4logo.jpg
    p4logo.jpg
    698.2 KB · Views: 18
One of the strangest sights I ever saw was when I was down in the Keys (early 90's) with some friends lobster diving and we were right of the coast near NAS Key West. There was still a couple squadrons of F14s stationed there and I enjoyed watching if I was in the boat. Once I looked up and saw an F14 towing a target banner. To me that was wrong in so many ways:oops: but they had to do what they had to do.;)

Reactions: snapdog
Some other early UAV's were the Aerodrome, the Hewitt-Sperry Automatic Airplane, the Kettering Bug and the RAE Larynx. Seems flying bombs were a thought during the WW-I era. I've read that the TDH.82B Queen Bee was a unmanned target craft and was thought to be the inspiration of the word drone especially when referring to radio controlled type aircraft.

Reactions: snapdog
I worked with these back in the 70s. Close to 500kts so plenty fast enough for target practice. Although most would tow a banner to be shot. We also used Lear jets for banner towing .

images.jpeg-48.jpg

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada