DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone insurance required for EU operator registration. Recommendations?

Aerophile

Reactions
I'm planning a trip to Europe in September (specifically: Malta, which is part of the EU). I plan to bring the drone along (Mini 3 Pro), there's plenty of good stuff there to shoot.

As best I can tell, same as for other EU member nations, for Malta I need to register as a drone operator (Malta uses the standard EU/EASA rules, plus their own) and follow basic and generally (mostly) reasonable rules. But to simply create an account online with Malta's Transport agency (a pre-requisite to register, gain access to the airspace maps, and I assume other stuff), I need to provide proof of insurance (I presume Liability insurance). So I'm looking for options for that.

I'll be flying my 249-gram Mini 3 Pro for recreational purposes, not commercially (I have the 107 cert here in the USA - as well as a private pilots license for crewed airplanes, but none of that matters).

I bet others here have gone down this road, looking for required insurance before a trip to Europe. Doing a search, I've found a bunch of threads that start off the same way ("I'm from the USA, will be leaving for a trip to the EU soon, need insurance...") but I have yet to see one that actually reports back and describes successfully finding a company, buying insurance and actually flying their drone legally in Europe. If I manage all that, I promise to report back, so the next 200 guys who are stuck with the same hoop to jump through can benefit from my experience.

To summarize:
  • I'm from the US
  • Traveling to an EU country (Malta) that requires drone (liability) insurance
  • I will be flying a sub-250 gram drone (Mini 3 Pro) recreationally, not commercially (I believe A1 subcategory). I'll get registered, get a number, stick it on the drone as required (as long as they don't make that impossible), will do my best to follow the rules, not piss anyone off, not get arrested
  • I'm looking for insurance that meets the requirements but is not crazy expensive
Can anyone suggest a decent company to use for this? Thank you!

Hi, I live in Austria, and went to a company here that specializes in aircraft insurance (for paragliding, now Mavic 3 Classic C1 drone). The homepage is in German, perhaps they have an English version. I´m sure if you send an email they are competent enough in English. At least to tell you if they insure pilots from out-of-town, non-commercial etc.
BTW under 250g things are easier, at least in Austria, but should apply to the EU. The EASA certification (A1-A3) is done online....

Last edited:
I am from the US and flew in Austria last year.
Austria in 2022. What a great country you live in, Bill!
Anyway, about the insurance. I am a Part 107 pilot and I fly commercially, so I carry insurance already. It is an annual policy. It is also good in the European union. It is from Starr Aircraft.
This is who I purchased it through, via the AMA’s site. It was the most complete and cheapest policy around, and I shopped a while.

AMA DRONE PROGRAM - Mary Long
Commercial Insurance
FNIC – Trusted insurance advisors
14010 FNB Parkway | Suite 300 | Omaha | NE | 68154
P 402-861-7000
[email protected]

I don’t know if they will sell less than an annual term. Good luck in Malta.

Hi PHZ! Thanks for your comment about Austria. Yes, it is very pretty here - Salzburg is almost too pretty (in the right weather) to be true! But you captured some of that in your video - congrats. Especially for your stubbornness regarding getting the mandatory permission(s) to fly a drone in Slzbg., in an airport safety zone no less;))! Not easy to get, practically impossible in Vienna, and expensive if you do. Next time you come to Austria download the free ÖAMTC app that indicates easily and clearly what the requirements for the various zones in A. are. Not that you didn´t know. Just easier...Applies to all future visitors too, of course. As I said, makes things easier, if dissappointing. So many "Verbotszonen"...crazy.

Last edited:
Salzburg, and most of Austria is a jewel. I loved Hallstadt (like most tourists), but did not fly there.
Great to know about the app. I used one in Germany, but it was only good in Germany. This will make it much easier for the next trip. I’ll be back (to coin a phrase). Yes, everyone wants their fees.

Last edited:
Salzburg, and most of Austria is a jewel. I loved Hallstadt (like most tourists), but did not fly there.
Great to know about the app. I used one in Germany, but it was only good in Germany. This will make it much easier for the next trip. I’ll be back (to coin a phrase). Yes, everyone wants their fees.
@PHZ, What app did you use for Germany?

To fly in Europe a Mini (<250grams) drone, you need a pilot certificate foe A1/A3 open category. You can obtain one of these online. This is valid for all EU countries.

Also, for Malta, you need to register on their ministry of transportation website, pay a fee of 10 euros for 2 months, and apply for flight permission for specific areas after you input all required mission parameters. You need to Apply 8 days in advance.

In order to apply for flight permission, you need an operator number. I am not sure how to get one of these without being a resident.

You will need a personal liability insurance.

Reactions: x-uas
Also, for Malta, you need to register on their ministry of transportation website, pay a fee of 10 euros for 2 months, and apply for flight permission for specific areas after you input all required mission parameters. You need to Apply 8 days in advance.

In order to apply for flight permission, you need an operator number. I am not sure how to get one of these without being a resident.

You will need a personal liability insurance.
This is what I object to, to pay to gain access to detailed maps.

Or is it also applying for permission to fly in certain areas?

The static map they have on the Transport Malta site shows most of the country open away from Valletta and the airport.

So would I need permission to fly along the coast of Gozo for instance, since that static map doesn't show any red zones there?

I am going to Italy in May 2024 for about 3 weeks with a Mini 2 for recreational use. I live in the USA. I registed as a UAS pilot and the drone on d-flight. I am now looking for drone liability insurance. I've seen skywatch.ai website. Any one used this or can recommend a low cost month plan?

I am going to Italy in May 2024 for about 3 weeks with a Mini 2 for recreational use. I live in the USA. I registed as a UAS pilot and the drone on d-flight. I am now looking for drone liability insurance. I've seen skywatch.ai website. Any one used this or can recommend a low cost month plan?

It appears these drone insurance policies which would cover drone flights in Europe is not available to Americans.

Instead, you might check your homeowners insurance policy. My homeowners said that both liability for possible injury or damage caused by my drone flight or damage to the drone itself would be covered as part of my policy, because it would be considered personal property.

That is after a deductible.

In my case, the agent I called at AAA was reading my policy rider and interpreted that way. I got her to email me the language and confirm her interpretation in an email.

But I think elsewhere, people have said that there is specific drone policy offered by State Farm in some states. I would have been interested but apparently State Farm doesn't offer it in California or some other states.

Again, you have to make sure that any coverage would be worldwide, not just the US.

It appears these drone insurance policies which would cover drone flights in Europe is not available to Americans...
That is not true, at least not in all cases - it depends on the company. Last time I went to Europe, I searched high and low, and yes, most companies I found were not available to Americans (most only accepted EU residents, but frustratingly, they never mentioned that up front, they just appeared to assume that all potential customers were EU residents and never bothered to mention that). But skywatch.ai (as noted above) does.

I used skywatch.ai for my last trip and will do so again in the future. It was quick and easy to set up, and though it was not exactly what I'd call super-cheap, it wasn't prohibitively expensive either (and it's a legal requirement in many places).

That is not true, at least not in all cases - it depends on the company. Last time I went to Europe, I searched high and low, and yes, most companies I found were not available to Americans (most only accepted EU residents, but frustratingly, they never mentioned that up front, they just appeared to assume that all potential customers were EU residents and never bothered to mention that). But skywatch.ai (as noted above) does.

I used skywatch.ai for my last trip and will do so again in the future. It was quick and easy to set up, and though it was not exactly what I'd call super-cheap, it wasn't prohibitively expensive either (and it's a legal requirement in many places).
If you are an AMA member, they offer drone insurance policies. When I shopped around a few years ago, they were the cheapest by far, covered ALL my drones for the same price, and the policy is good overseas. Check it out. Probably worth joining the AMA just to get their insurance.

It's important to distinguish between commercial and recreational drone insurance.

AMA insurance appears to be only for commercial operators.

Some of us are just hobbyists who'd like to fly their drones while traveling overseas.

I think I did get a quote for Skywatch AI. I forget how much it was but it was high enough that I never looked at it again.

The high cost of premiums would make sense for commercial operators, who make money and probably need to carry insurance for their clients, not just legal requirements in some countries.

It appears these drone insurance policies which would cover drone flights in Europe is not available to Americans.

Instead, you might check your homeowners insurance policy. My homeowners said that both liability for possible injury or damage caused by my drone flight or damage to the drone itself would be covered as part of my policy, because it would be considered personal property.

That is after a deductible.

In my case, the agent I called at AAA was reading my policy rider and interpreted that way. I got her to email me the language and confirm her interpretation in an email.

But I think elsewhere, people have said that there is specific drone policy offered by State Farm in some states. I would have been interested but apparently State Farm doesn't offer it in California or some other states.

Again, you have to make sure that any coverage would be worldwide, not just the US.
As I am in California, I had checked with AAA, but they don't offer such type of insurance, even if it were outside the US.

I tried Skywatch.AI but declined as I don't have a Part 107, which they say is required.

It's important to distinguish between commercial and recreational drone insurance.

AMA insurance appears to be only for commercial operators.

Some of us are just hobbyists who'd like to fly their drones while traveling overseas.

I think I did get a quote for Skywatch AI. I forget how much it was but it was high enough that I never looked at it again.

The high cost of premiums would make sense for commercial operators, who make money and probably need to carry insurance for their clients, not just legal requirements in some countries.
Tried Skywatch.ai and declined, need to have a part 107.

As I am in California, I had checked with AAA, but they don't offer such type of insurance, even if it were outside the US.
They don't offer a specific drone insurance. They're saying there would be coverage under a homeowner's policy.

They're saying that it would be covered for liability for injury and property damage in case your "personal property" causes that damage.

"Personal property" would include things you own but it would exclude cars and aircraft which is designed to transport people or cargo.

But model aircraft would be included in the coverage.

I would prefer to be able to buy a reasonably-priced global drone insurance.

But it has to be priced for recreational fliers, not just professionals who can expense premiums which cost several hundred or even thousands of dollars.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne