DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone landing not working

Reactions
Hello,

I would like to describe a scenario after which i'm not able to land the drone normally anymore.
Maybe you guys can give me a hint what I did wrong.

I'm taking off in gps mode without any failure and home point is automatically recorded. After flying around for some time I hit the go home button on my remote control. The drone is responding accordingly and going to return to home altitude, flying to the location where I'm standing and starting the descent to ground. At approximately 10m above ground I'm hitting the red cancel/pause button on the remote controller to stop the landing process. The drone stops and I'm flying around again for a few seconds. Then I want to land normally on flat and solid ground. I'm pushing the stick on the remote controller down for landing. Normally the drone is then hovering for a second and finally landing on its own and turning off the motors automatically. After the described scenario however its hovering 1cm over the ground and the motors are not stopping. I can only do the harsh motor cutoff with both sticks, which causes the drone to tilt to one side and damage the propellers.

Can anyone tell me whats happening here?

Thanks!

Andi

Hello,

I would like to describe a scenario after which i'm not able to land the drone normally anymore.
Maybe you guys can give me a hint what I did wrong.

I'm taking off in gps mode without any failure and home point is automatically recorded. After flying around for some time I hit the go home button on my remote control. The drone is responding accordingly and going to return to home altitude, flying to the location where I'm standing and starting the descent to ground. At approximately 10m above ground I'm hitting the red cancel/pause button on the remote controller to stop the landing process. The drone stops and I'm flying around again for a few seconds. Then I want to land normally on flat and solid ground. I'm pushing the stick on the remote controller down for landing. Normally the drone is then hovering for a second and finally landing on its own and turning off the motors automatically. After the described scenario however its hovering 1cm over the ground and the motors are not stopping. I can only do the harsh motor cutoff with both sticks, which causes the drone to tilt to one side and damage the propellers.

Can anyone tell me whats happening here?

Thanks!

Andi

Sounds like you need to clean the downward sensor.

Reactions: MarcelKoks
Landing protection can do this, but it will tell you on the app the landing area is not clear. Check your logs.

Can't be the sensors or landing protection because if I'm not doing the Scenario described above, the drone is behaving perfectly normal on exactly the same landing place. That means it is then landing and shutting off motors automatically when pushing the r/c stick down.

Any ideas?

What I forgot to mention is that the automatic landing via dji go app is always working. Either with aborted go home procedure or without. It's just the remote Controller landing with stick pushed down that is not working after described scenario :(

I have done some additional tests today and the problem definetely persists :(
I cleaned my downward sensor and did a compass calibration also.

And I disabled the Landing protection in the app!

I found out the following:

1) A normal flight without return to home usage never causes a problem. I can always land safely on the street by pushing the remote stick down
2) When I'm not cancelling the return to home procedure the aircraft stays 1m over the ground telling me that the ground is not safe to land. At this point of
flight I'm not able to bring down the aircraft safely with only my remote controller (only usage of the autoland in the DJI app helps here :( ). Pushing the stick
down only lowers the aircraft to 1cm above ground. Landing procedure is never initiated. Also raising the aircraft to 10 feet and flying around does not solve the
problem. Strange thing is that the ground is totally plain street.
3) When I use the return to home function in a short distance between return to home point and aircraft the auto land function does work and I'm NOT getting the
above warning exactly over the same spot of plain street as in 2) . Also when I hit the cancel button during return to home in scenario 3) the aircraft will later land by pushing the stick down. That means only long range return to home is causing trouble later.

Here is a log of one of the flights where i did a long range return to home (return to home altitude was 261 feet). I cancelled the return to home procedure at
approx. 6m 52.8s (21 feet high) and flew around a bit. Then I tried to land the drone by pushing the remote controller stick down at 7m 24.5s.
I got to 1,6 feet but the aircraft does not land :(
At the end of the flight I used the dji app autolanding feature. Otherwise I would not have brought the drone down safely.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Hope anyone of you can help me!

Thanks!

It still sounds like it is somehow being caused by how the VPS sensors are reacting. I would try a couple flights with VPS turned off just to try and eliminate that as a possible cause. Be more careful flying with the VPS off and take your landings nice and slow.

"When I'm not cancelling the return to home procedure the aircraft stays 1m over the ground telling me that the ground is not safe to land"

This only happens with landing protection on. You said you shut it off. Are you 110 percent sure?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piloter