DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone laws Belgium?

Friso

Reactions
I'm going to Belgium in a month and wanted to know more about Belgium drone laws. I read somewhere that you're only allowed to fly to 30 meters on private property, is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Friso

No it's not correct.
Only 10 meters above private property.
And drone take off weight < 1 kg !
If you want to flight higher (the 2 next max altitude are 45 and 90 meters) with drone > 1kg then you need to have a mandatory education session and pass exams theoretical and practical .

So not really applicable for tourists.

I know 10 m max altitude and 1 kg max is crazy!

Last edited:
Thanks for your answers! So no use in bringing my drone for a 3 day trip? [emoji853]

I don't think so. But you know in Belgium the speed limit on highway is 120 km/h....buy you'll never find someone who'll tell you that he never drives sometimes up to 130 km/h and ever more. Even if there is plenty of speed radar.

I've been in Ghent for the past two weeks and did a bit of research about drones before leaving. My take away was that you are allowed to fly without registration as long as you fall into the hobbyist or non-commercial category and it is registered in your home country. To be on the safe side I did register with the FAA and I know there are many that have an issue with that. My attitude if you're doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about.
I've flown only once here, mostly because the weather has been less than ideal; overcast, WINDY, rainy. When I did fly people stopped and pointed but no one approached me or tried to stop me. Best advice is to follow the no-fly restrictions and ask a local.

Hi @paulrawlingson,

this seems like a good summary.
To clarify something, there are only 2 colors on the 'flight map' : Red and Yellow (Orange is when red and yellow apply to same area). Extract from the help page :
  • the map on this website displays the areas (in red) where drone use is not autorized (class 2 operations) or is only autorized if a specific authorization has been granted (authorization + derogation) (class 1a operations).
  • the areas displayed in yellow indicate an airspace that will be activated or temporarily reserved within a 24-hour period. After this airspace will have been activated, the colour of the area concerned will be automatically adjusted (to red) on the map.
So it's usually not forbidden to fly in yellow zones. And if you want details about a location you can click on the map to see a popup with more details.

Reactions: paulrawlingson
Hi @paulrawlingson,

this seems like a good summary.
To clarify something, there are only 2 colors on the 'flight map' : Red and Yellow (Orange is when red and yellow apply to same area). Extract from the help page :
  • the map on this website displays the areas (in red) where drone use is not autorized (class 2 operations) or is only autorized if a specific authorization has been granted (authorization + derogation) (class 1a operations).
  • the areas displayed in yellow indicate an airspace that will be activated or temporarily reserved within a 24-hour period. After this airspace will have been activated, the colour of the area concerned will be automatically adjusted (to red) on the map.
So it's usually not forbidden to fly in yellow zones. And if you want details about a location you can click on the map to see a popup with more details.
Tks so much for telling me, all updated!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3