DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone literally took off with no control

Reading about it has made me even more careful about checking the compass function before launching. Yesterday, I noticed that the drone was pointed north and the compass display showed it pointing nearly east. It was on a concrete slab, presumably with rebar below the surface. I moved it two feet and the compass behaved correctly.
Hopefully, everyone will now add this to their preflight routine! Confirm drone orientation matches the compass display of the drone orientation before launching.

Reactions: danwnz and MS Coast
If it's a suspected controller/aircraft communication issue, definitely cycle the power and try again. But switching the controller off and leaving it off guarantees that there's a communication issue.

The situation in the incident discussed here seems to be unrecoverable. I'd certainly try cycling the power, though it wouldn't have helped in this case. Following that, I think I'd be considering how to put the drone on the ground without creating a hazard to people and property.

Reading about it has made me even more careful about checking the compass function before launching. Yesterday, I noticed that the drone was pointed north and the compass display showed it pointing nearly east. It was on a concrete slab, presumably with rebar below the surface. I moved it two feet and the compass behaved correctly.

Same. I consider myself reasonably risk averse but getting into the air 2 minutes faster is no big deal compared to what can happen.

Reactions: MS Coast
Same. I consider myself reasonably risk averse but getting into the air 2 minutes faster is no big deal compared to what can happen.
It doesn't take two minutes to confirm the drone orientation matches the compass orientation. Just look and verify. Done! This is completely unrelated to any time required to acquire a satellite lock needed for the home point.

Thats great advise, I did not really consider the compass to be so important, I always just checked the satellites in my routine. Seems silly now I think about it properly.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The CSC should work if it is switched to the "Anytime"/"Always" setting. It will probably NOT work in a compass error fly away if the CSC setting is left to the default of "Emergency only".
HOWEVER the in "Anytime"/"Always" the motors will stop if the CSC position is held for slightly less than 2 seconds, this is too short a 'delay' IMO to be safe so I would NOT suggest setting the CSC option to "Anytime"/"Always" until you need it.
Neither setting is ideal IMO.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair