DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone lost: cancel FAA registration?

bushmiller

Reactions
Unfortunately I had a crash in a wilderness area...I know roughly where the drone is, but it's on a mountain with extremely dense, tall brush, so I'm unable to retrieve it. It occurred to me that in the unlikely event that someone did find it, and then cause trouble with it, I would be responsible--it's registered with FAA with my number on it.

I see on the FAA site (FAADroneZone) I'm able to cancel registration, which I'll do, but just wondering if there's anything else I should do, to avoid future problems?

Also, the crash was in the Angeles National Forest, I was thinking I could notify them, though I assume it's not worth the bother.

Unfortunately I had a crash in a wilderness area...I know roughly where the drone is, but it's on a mountain with extremely dense, tall brush, so I'm unable to retrieve it. It occurred to me that in the unlikely event that someone did find it, and then cause trouble with it, I would be responsible--it's registered with FAA with my number on it.

I see on the FAA site (FAADroneZone) I'm able to cancel registration, which I'll do, but just wondering if there's anything else I should do, to avoid future problems?

Also, the crash was in the Angeles National Forest, I was thinking I could notify them, though I assume it's not worth the bother.
If nobody finds it, would it eventually become a fire risk in that location, just wondering, cheers Len

As for notifying the Forest, were you flying within the rules such as true VLOS and control? Did the drone go down where it might have disturbed wildlife? Were you outside an wilderness areas?
If you were to notify the Forest service you should provide the precise GPS coordinates where it went down? To me it seems that allowing the Forest service to recover the drone would be a good idea.

Reactions: BigAl07
What you ask is like having a wreck in your car and taking your license plate off and leaving before anyone see’s you. 🤷‍♂️
JMO.

Reactions: MavicFlyer2
As for notifying the Forest, were you flying within the rules such as true VLOS and control? Did the drone go down where it might have disturbed wildlife? Were you outside an wilderness areas?
If you were to notify the Forest service you should provide the precise GPS coordinates where it went down? To me it seems that allowing the Forest service to recover the drone would be a good idea.
I did have true VLOS and control. I can't imagine it disturbed wildlife, it crashed in a tree, within 50 yards or so of a highway. I don't have precise coordinates, but know roughly where it is. I'll consider notifying the forest service, thanks for the reply.

What you ask is like having a wreck in your car and taking your license plate off and leaving before anyone see’s you. 🤷‍♂️
JMO.
Well, it didn't cause any damage, and doesn't need to be towed away or anything. My registration number is still on the drone, so even with FAA registration cancelled, I'm pretty sure it could still be traced to me.

As I said in OP, my concern is someone else getting it, and causing trouble that I would be blamed for (flying near a fire with firefighters present, causing a car accident, etc). Do you have any suggestions, other than notifying the forest service?

That occurred to me, though the battery is definitely drained, so not sure if it's a fire hazard or not--possibly?
Drained as far as being "Operational for the Mavic" doesn't mean the battery has no charge remaining. The Flight Controller has a Min Voltage Cut Off but even at that point the battery still has a charge but it's not enough to power the aircraft.

I would absolutely contact the Angeles National Forest regional office and let them decide if it's worth searching for or not. I'd guess that's going to be a NEGATIVE but that is their call.

:)

I recently lost my P4P in the city.
I did eventually cancel the FAA reg- but all that does is remove the craft from “Active” staus. And reported Lost.
It’s still registered as yours. Info retained. But you won’t have to renew the registration. Nor would you be liable if someone else uses it. Or shouldn’t be…

Mine was found 6 wks later- damaged enough that even if replaced, it’ll be a refurb with a new serial #

And my guess is if you recovered it it could be reinstated.

Well, it didn't cause any damage, and doesn't need to be towed away or anything. My registration number is still on the drone, so even with FAA registration cancelled, I'm pretty sure it could still be traced to me.

As I said in OP, my concern is someone else getting it, and causing trouble that I would be blamed for (flying near a fire with firefighters present, causing a car accident, etc). Do you have any suggestions, other than notifying the forest service?
No but it seemed you wanted to be unassociated with it. I wouldnt
be worried about someone finding it and causing you no issues .
And how do you know it didn’t cause no issues. Most not likely not but you don’t know do you. 🤷‍♂️
If I was you I would do as BigA107 suggested.

Reactions: GFields
I recently lost my P4P in the city.
I did eventually cancel the FAA reg- but all that does is remove the craft from “Active” staus. And reported Lost.
It’s still registered as yours. Info retained. But you won’t have to renew the registration. Nor would you be liable if someone else uses it. Or shouldn’t be…
That's what I was thinking; thanks for the reply. Fine with me if it's still associated with me, I just want to report it lost.

JMO.
Not really. The VIN number is still all over the car- (windshield etc.) and can be traced back to the owner.

Reactions: dirkclod
Not really. The VIN number is still all over the car- (windshield etc.) and can be traced back to the owner.
I knew I was poking 👍

JMO.
Not a valid analogy.If you do have a wreck and leave the scene your VIN will tell who the car is registered to.The FAA number on the drone will too.Best to report it to the FAA so if someone finds and flies it you have notified them+local law enforcement as to the loss.Serial number will ID the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne