DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone may have caused B-17 and P-63 collision at Wings Over Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the article there are some incorrect statements. . . . .

"Now, more footage from Twitter seems to show that a small object alleged to be a drone appears in the path of the P-63. As the P-63 immediately stalls, instantly changes course, and goes into a dive, some experts believe there was a collision between the object and the vintage fighter plane."

At no time during the moments prior to the impact; did the P63. . .

1] experience a stall.
2] instantly change course
3] go into a dive
4] (or as suggested by the linked video in the article) - try to restart the engine because: the engine never stopped

When I first saw the videos of the crash, my instant reaction was that the pilot of the P-63 never saw the B-17. The turn into final over the flight line would have concealed the bomber below the nose of the P63. In addition as a pilot going through the base to final turn, he would have been focusing well ahead of the impact point thus, not looking into the area where the B17 he was over-taking, would appear

Below is a video put out by Air Safety Institute with commentary by ASI Senior Vice President, Richard McSpadden, CFII, MEI, SES, MES, and former Commander/Flight Leader for the USAF Thunderbirds - a guy that can speak with much authority on Air Show operations, safety and routines. He gives his early analysis on the crash.

Very much appreciate you posting this video and your comments regarding it. Knee jerk response from many who view it would be to consider it a bit tedious and stop watching it. I'm glad I watched it all. Mr. McSpadden explains "factually" what happened and the (as yet) unconfirmed reason why the P-63 pilot banked wide and strayed well off the designated "fighter" aircraft flightpath and into the designated "bomber" flightpath.

My comment is informed by scanning the many others where I did not see this technology issue raised.

If cell phones (for example) can provide location information to 911 operators, why has nobody in the air show biz not thought of putting GPS transponders on all the a/c involved? Certainly the computer power exists to evaluate the developing 3-d situation and provide some warning of potential collision.

My comment is informed by scanning the many others where I did not see this technology issue raised.

If cell phones (for example) can provide location information to 911 operators, why has nobody in the air show biz not thought of putting GPS transponders on all the a/c involved? Certainly the computer power exists to evaluate the developing 3-d situation and provide some warning of potential collision.
It's called adsb. Some of the war birds have likely not been equipped with adsb. You're probably not going to be activating a traffic avoidance system on a coordinated event like this.

With the details provided by the NTSB preliminary report on the accident, I think it's safe to say that NO drone was involved.
1670097688688.png
A lot of great input but I think it's time to put this one to rest.
May those who lost loved ones on that day find the peace that they need and may those who lost their lives RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3